login errors

Post by Ken » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I am running Red Hat 4.0 with kernel 2.0.18.  Lately, I have
been having login problems.  When I boot up, I login at the prompt,
and it will seem to almost log in, then shoot me back to the login
prompt.  If I try a bunch of times, it might log me in, or I have
to reboot and go through the fsck thing because I had to hit the
reset button.

Any clues?  Please reply personally.  Thanks!

-Ken
--

 `-*-/   http://www.shore.net/~hazmat
  / \

login errors

Post by Lars Da » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, I am running Red Hat 4.0 with kernel 2.0.18.  Lately, I have
> been having login problems.  When I boot up, I login at the prompt,
> and it will seem to almost log in, then shoot me back to the login
> prompt.  If I try a bunch of times, it might log me in, or I have
> to reboot and go through the fsck thing because I had to hit the
> reset button.

> Any clues?  Please reply personally.  Thanks!

Do your loginname contain dots?

--
Lars Dam,
Postbus 631

WWW : http://octopus.chem.ruu.nl/~larsdam
WWW : http://www.xs4all.nl/~oxygen
TEL : 030-6021710
MOB : 06-53949032
BBS : 030-6053923 (Oxygenius BBS Nieuwegein, ANSI/AVATAR,
0k3-28k8(POTS)/64k0-128k0(ISDN)
FAX : 030-6090957

1. Cde/Console Login error

We have a console (console server?) at the end of each row that
provides a common console to a number of Solaris servers. You select
the machine you want from a list hit enter and the console prompts you
with a cde login to the server you have specified.

By problem is with one Solaris server (Solaris 9), when I pick it and
hit enter I don't get a cde login  - all I get is a blank/black screen.
And yes, I did move the mouse afterwards.

I can get on the system through its rsc/alom connection and over the
ethernet network just fine. I restarted dtlogin but it did not help.

Is there anything else I can try. Any others processes to check?
Perhaps I have a bad console cable.

I'm not sure if the following are related.
While I'm logged in through the alom/rsc I keep getting this error:
INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
id:  h1 "/etc/init.d/init.cssd run >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null"

Also noticed this is /var/adm/messages:
Jan 31 17:16:22 gscsun rmclomv: [ID 948834 kern.error] Failed to send
email alert for recent event.

/var/dt/Xerrors did'nt have anything in it except during the time I
restarted dtlogin.

Thanks guru dudes.

2. no stdio.h

3. Help! Login Error

4. uugetty - won't init or answer modem

5. Newbie's user login error

6. How Do I allow ordinary users to mount?

7. Remote Login Error

8. Q: FAQ? reading 8 bit input using bash

9. Login error - No directory /home/me!

10. login error when a NFS-mounted home is exported without root access

11. Mgetty 0.98 + Shadow Login Error

12. Login Error -- getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

13. VSFTPD - 530 - incorrect login error