OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by F. Heitkam » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:52:10

I upgraded to Warp 4.52 and now I am having trouble using GRUB or
LILO to boot OS/2.  Was something changed in the LVM enabled Warp
that causes it not to work with Lilo or Grub?  I also can't seem
to get the Bootmanager to see my Linux partition as bootable,
startable, and In Use.  LVM just shows an unknown partition that
is available.  I tried toggling the boot flag and installing lilo
on the partition, but that didn't help.

Basically what happens is that the white square comes up in the
corner and OS/2 appears to start booting then this message pops
up:  "The system cannot load the startup file system. The information
for the startup file system is incorrect. Reinstall your system.
The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart
the system."

If I manually set the OS/2 partition as bootable and startable
then OS/2 boots and runs fine.  I'm thinking that evidently
OS/2 and Bootmanager store some additional information that
Lilo, Linux, Grub etc. cannot deal with.  Any ideas?

Fred

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Iain All » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:44:08

Quote:> I upgraded to Warp 4.52 and now I am having trouble using GRUB or
> LILO to boot OS/2.  Was something changed in the LVM enabled Warp
> that causes it not to work with Lilo or Grub?  I also can't seem

It works just fine, but there is a twist that you might have overlooked.
When you are using the LVM boot manger instead of an FDISK BM, the normal
use is for "VOLUMES".  If the partition that you have LILO or Grub on is
only a partition and not a volume than the standard use of the LVM
utility will not allow it to be added to the menu until it is a volume.

I've done it this way, and it initially gets a drive letter used up as a
volume but you can "hide" the letter to recover it if you want.  The
Linux partition will still remain on the menu even with no letter as it
is a volume with the LVM bootable status.

If you would prefer not to do that then there is another way that DFSee
will allow you to add it even if it isn't a volume.  I tried it after
Jan told me about it recently and my test worked so if you want you
could try the the command the information follows:-

--- quote ---------
In my experience you can get ANY partition on the bootmanager menu
once the partition is known to LVM, meaning some LVM-info has been
created for the partition, even if that is default info.

It does NOT have to be a volume (with a volume-name and drive-letter).

That would be the case if you created a partition in physical view of
LVM, or if you created it outside LVM (with DFSee or similar) and then
start LVM.EXE once and "save the changes and exit".

I think LVM itself does not support adding partitions to the menu, but
using the DFSee 'LVMSET' command will do just that.

After that, bootmanager will use the volumename if present, and
otherwise the partitionname as a menu-entry.  Whether it will boot or
not depends on the contents of the partition of course :-)

An examle command, assuming the partition has DFSee nr 11,
to add it to the menu:

        DFS.EXE  lvmset 11 -m

To remove it from the menu:

        DFS.EXE  lvmset 11 -m-

To display all LVM settings for the partition:

        DFS.EXE  lvmset 11

The displayed structure show all LVM-info (DLAT), only when
a volumename is present it is considered an "LVM volume"
I found that the "On BM-menu" flag does not depend on that ...

Regards, JvW
--------- endquote -------

Quote:> to get the Bootmanager to see my Linux partition as bootable,
> startable, and In Use.  LVM just shows an unknown partition that
> is available.  I tried toggling the boot flag and installing lilo
> on the partition, but that didn't help.

> Basically what happens is that the white square comes up in the
> corner and OS/2 appears to start booting then this message pops
> up:  "The system cannot load the startup file system. The information
> for the startup file system is incorrect. Reinstall your system.
> The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart
> the system."

> If I manually set the OS/2 partition as bootable and startable
> then OS/2 boots and runs fine.  I'm thinking that evidently
> OS/2 and Bootmanager store some additional information that
> Lilo, Linux, Grub etc. cannot deal with.  Any ideas?

One of the above ways should work.  I have LILO loading Mandrake 8.2 on
a partition over the 1024 cylinder limit as well, so it would appear that
is no longer a limit either if the hardware supports it and the LVM MBR
is installed.

   Iain...

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by F. Heitkam » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:23:03

>> I upgraded to Warp 4.52 and now I am having trouble using GRUB or
>> LILO to boot OS/2.  Was something changed in the LVM enabled Warp
>> that causes it not to work with Lilo or Grub?  I also can't seem

Is LVM doing something to the partition that renders it unusable
by Grub or Lilo, the two most common ways to boot Linux?

Quote:

> It works just fine, but there is a twist that you might have overlooked.
> When you are using the LVM boot manger instead of an FDISK BM, the normal
> use is for "VOLUMES".  If the partition that you have LILO or Grub on is
> only a partition and not a volume than the standard use of the LVM
> utility will not allow it to be added to the menu until it is a volume.

Can I make the Linux partition a Volume without destroying its
contents?  I have played around with LVM a bit and am sometimes
able to get it to do certain things.  Usually I stumble upon
features by accident and then forget how I got there. LVM is
fairly crytic with no real help AFAICT.

BTW just to muddly the waters further, I used PM 6.0 to resize a
HPFS partition on another drive and now LVM has lost it.

I'd like to fix these things without losing any data.

DFSee sounds good.  It doesn't seem to support ext2/3 partitions
though.

Fred

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Iain All » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 02:23:00

> >> I upgraded to Warp 4.52 and now I am having trouble using GRUB or
> >> LILO to boot OS/2.  Was something changed in the LVM enabled Warp
> >> that causes it not to work with Lilo or Grub?  I also can't seem

> Is LVM doing something to the partition that renders it unusable
> by Grub or Lilo, the two most common ways to boot Linux?

To boot OS/2 from LILO or Grub? Unlikely to work in many cases as the
_volume_ letter could be the problem.  It is more usual to use BM or an
LVM aware alternative and put LILO or Grub in the root or /boot if it is
separate.  Putting Linux loaders in MBR is one way to loose some of the
boot alternatives for OS/2 as they are not LVM aware.  They can
sometimes work if OS/2 is on a primary I expect.

Quote:

> > It works just fine, but there is a twist that you might have overlooked.
> > When you are using the LVM boot manger instead of an FDISK BM, the normal
> > use is for "VOLUMES".  If the partition that you have LILO or Grub on is
> > only a partition and not a volume than the standard use of the LVM
> > utility will not allow it to be added to the menu until it is a volume.

> Can I make the Linux partition a Volume without destroying its
> contents?  I have played around with LVM a bit and am sometimes
> able to get it to do certain things.  Usually I stumble upon
> features by accident and then forget how I got there. LVM is
> fairly crytic with no real help AFAICT.

The easiest way is to have LVM create the partitions in the physical
view beforehand and have the Linux install do the format.  You then make
a full volume out of it if using LVM alone to get it on the BM menu or
the DFSee way. It should be possible later but if you would rather not
try, then I'd suggest using an alternate boot manager and still have the
Linux loader in /boot.  Vpart also works for me and possibly Air-Boot
would.  They are LVM aware so would do both jobs.  LVM information sits
in some unused sectors of a partition so there should not be a problem
if you want to try the full LVM way.  If the partition with /boot shows
as "available" in Physical view, then it is possible to make a full
volume of it from the logical view.  The alternate manager might be the
least intrusive method I'd say, and DFSee only needs that save with no
change and no full volume info either.

Quote:

> BTW just to muddly the waters further, I used PM 6.0 to resize a
> HPFS partition on another drive and now LVM has lost it.

That is normal.  Have a look to find it in physical view and make the
name correct or recognizable if required. It should again be "available"
for a volume creation.  Put the old letter back on it if possible so
that programs on it can be found again if there were any links like
that.

Quote:> I'd like to fix these things without losing any data.

If you are unsure, exit LVM with no save and show us LVM /QUERY:ALL

Quote:> DFSee sounds good.  It doesn't seem to support ext2/3 partitions
> though.

ext3 is unknown to it AFAIK. but it knows ext2 to recognize it.  There
is no formatting anyway, it is more of partition structure and partition
table editor.  You can find a deleted partition for instance and build
the correct structure around the data and then a chkdsk has a possibility
of showing that you have your data back.  I don't think the ext2 support
has developed that much yet but at least it is recognized:-

+--+--+---+-----------------+--------+--------+-----------+----------+-----
---+
|id|PD|Vol|Type, description|Format  |Creator |VolumeLabel|LVM Volume| Size

+--+--+---+-----------------+--------+--------+-----------+----------+-----
---+
|01| 1|>  |Prim 0a Boot-Mgr |BMGR    |fdisk   |<G_eCS    >|, [ BOOT M|
7.8|
|02| 1|*W:|Hide 16 FAT16    |FAT16   |MSWIN4.0|DOS        |DOS, DOS  |
86.3|
|03| 1|*C:|Prim 0b FAT32    |FAT32   |MSWIN4.1|WIN9X      |Win9x, Win|
3059.3|
|04| 1| D:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |OS2 20.0|OS2_d      |drv_D, drv|
415.7|
|05| 1|*E:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|SYSTEM     |eCS_E, eCS|
1121.7|
|06| 1| F:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|DRV_F      |Drv-F, Drv|
9201.3|
|07| 1|*H:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|H_DRV1     |H1_eCS, H1|
776.5|
+--+--+---+-----------------+--------+--------+-----------+----------+-----
---+
|08| 2|   |Primary FreeSpace|-- -- --|-- -- --|- - - - - -|          |
7.8|
|08| 2|*G:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|G_DRV2     |G_eCS, G_d|
800.1|
|09| 2|*I:|Log  35 Warp-LVM |JFS     |fdisk   |Boot_Ios2  |Boot_I, Bo|
753.0|
|10| 2| T:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|BACKUP     |backups, b|
1208.0|
|11| 2| J:|Log  07 Inst-FSys|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|DUMP2      |DFSTEST2, |
4235.9|
|12| 2|   |Log  82 LinuxSwap|SWAP    |fdisk   |           |, swap    |
753.0|
|13| 2|*  |Log  83 LinuxExt2|EXT2    |fdisk   |           |mandrake, |
1906.1|
+--+--+---+-----------------+--------+--------+-----------+----------+-----
---+

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Seymour » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:52:08

Quote:>BTW just to muddly the waters further, I used PM 6.0 to resize a HPFS
>partition on another drive and now LVM has lost it.

PM is not housebroken; it resets partition types[1] without a
by-your-leave. Get a sector editor and verify that all of the
partition types are correct. Then run LVM or VCU.

[1] That may be less of an issue with Warp 4.52; it definitely messes
up Warp 4 with FP12. Since I have GTU, it didn't take long to fix, but
I had some unkind things to say.

     Atid/2, Team OS/2, Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by fledermau » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:41:42

Quote:> To boot OS/2 from LILO or Grub? Unlikely to work in many cases as the

I use AirBoot on mbr and grub on each linux bootable partition., works
well.  I have w98 on <C:> as well.

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Arthur E. Sower » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:56:16

> I upgraded to Warp 4.52 and now I am having trouble using GRUB or
> LILO to boot OS/2.  Was something changed in the LVM enabled Warp
> that causes it not to work with Lilo or Grub?  I also can't seem
> to get the Bootmanager to see my Linux partition as bootable,
> startable, and In Use.  LVM just shows an unknown partition that
> is available.  I tried toggling the boot flag and installing lilo
> on the partition, but that didn't help.

> Basically what happens is that the white square comes up in the
> corner and OS/2 appears to start booting then this message pops
> up:  "The system cannot load the startup file system. The information
> for the startup file system is incorrect. Reinstall your system.
> The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart
> the system."

> If I manually set the OS/2 partition as bootable and startable
> then OS/2 boots and runs fine.  I'm thinking that evidently
> OS/2 and Bootmanager store some additional information that
> Lilo, Linux, Grub etc. cannot deal with.  Any ideas?

> Fred

Without knowing more details, its hard to be specific. But, I've been
working with multi-boot for a couple of years and there are a lot of
little details that can mess you up. System Commander is pretty good about
detecting rewrites to the MBR but I've had problems there, too.

LILO has a defect, mentioned in writing in an old Slackware book I have,
that is not discussed in any of the newer Linux books I have. Sometimes
LILO installs fine and works fine. Other times it messes up. And, on the
linux newsgroups you can read about all the LILO problems.

I advise people, where it is possible, to use a reliable boot manager. I
can only vouch for System Commander and don't know about the others.

When I need to have a box boot into DOS, OS/2, and linux, I'll let OS/2
"convert" through the "boot to DOS" or use c:\os2\boot /os2 if already in
DOS, to get OS/2 or DOS. If I need to boot into linux, I first boot into
DOS, then use a batch file plus loadlin.exe (with an argument) plus
vmlinuz to boot into linux. During the installs of linux, I _ALWAYS_ put
the bootstrap loader into the partition boot record and NOT the master
boot record. This has _ALWAYS_ worked for me, whereas puting it into the
MBR has been successful maybe only 60% of the time.

Don't forget another thing. The LILO uninstall _also_ sometimes doesn't
work and if you want to uninstall System Commander, you _must_ do it
_with_ System Commander. I've also had the experience that you can't
remove SC any other way unless you use a disk editor and manually zero out
the code in the MBR. And, I've done this on about a dozen boxes of all
vintages, here. Disk managers also put weird code on your HD and sometimes
you can't get that off, either.

Art

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:33:05

Quote:> PM is not housebroken; it resets partition types[1] without a
> by-your-leave. Get a sector editor and verify that all of the
> partition types are correct. Then run LVM or VCU.

No need to look too far.  Partition Magic includes a sector editor
(partedit.exe) that can do the job for you.

--

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by F. Heitka » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:01:00

>I advise people, where it is possible, to use a reliable boot manager. I
>can only vouch for System Commander and don't know about the others.

I have System Commander laying around here somewhere.  When I
had it installed I didn't like it.  It seemed too intrusive. Plus
I don't used DOS anymore except in an emergency.  Doesn't System
Commander require a DOS partition?

Fred

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by eric » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:14:54

> [...]

all of the trustworthy recommendations I have seen tell you to go the other
way, boot LILO from os/2 BM.  I did that for many years without hassle.

eric...

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by fledermau » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:16:57

Quote:

> all of the trustworthy recommendations I have seen tell you to go the other
> way, boot LILO from os/2 BM.  I did that for many years without hassle.

an alternative to os/2 BootMgr is Kiewitz's AirBoot with lilo or grub
on each linux partition.
""

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Ron Gibs » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:02:12

Quote:> all of the trustworthy recommendations I have seen tell you to go the other
> way, boot LILO from os/2 BM.  I did that for many years without hassle.

There is a problem booting OS's above cylinder 1023 with BM.

I use a combination of VPART and BM.  VPART resides in the boot sector
and is very easy to add, remove or update.  It will boot Linux anywhere
as long as you put LILO in the Linux file system partition.

I haven't tried it without LILO, but I don't know why anyone would not
want having it installed.

My approach has VPART with only two entries - BM and Linux.  If I
select BM then I get all the boot options below cylinder 1023.

If anyone wants instructions and the files I've a page on my website
that details all you need to do with a link to VPART.

IBM just released a newer version of BM and added some additional
support (partition type 0F).  It *might* boot Linux above 1023 but the
reports on that are mixed and no one seems to have a definitive answer
yet on that subject.

In earlier versions you couldn't boot OS/2 in a logical drive (had to
be a primary) with LILO.  I have again seen some reports that no longer
is the case, but again the reports are sketchy at this point.

--

Home Page - http://rsgibson.com
FTP - ftp://ftp.rsgibson.com

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Tapani Raikkone » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:04:04

> IBM just released a newer version of BM and added some additional
> support (partition type 0F).  It *might* boot Linux above 1023 but the
> reports on that are mixed and no one seems to have a definitive answer
> yet on that subject.

I tried to use many different combinations in 40 gig hard drive
and one thing is true: every OS must have at least a small boot
partition under 8 gig upper-limit. I was a little bit disappointed in
new FDISK / BM. That upper-limit still exists.

This is what I have now:
6.5 GB Win 98
0.7 Warp 4
0.7 Warp 4
0.1 RedHat (only Grub)

Then I have many other partitions and Linux in the end. Everything works
fine. I think that from Grub (or LILO) I can boot other OS's if they can
be installed over 8 gig in logical drive.

Quote:> In earlier versions you couldn't boot OS/2 in a logical drive (had to
> be a primary) with LILO.  I have again seen some reports that no longer
> is the case, but again the reports are sketchy at this point.

That's why I have IBM's Boot Manager and not only Grub or LILO ;)

-tapsa-

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Bob Eag » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:22:23

> There is a problem booting OS's above cylinder 1023 with BM.

> I use a combination of VPART and BM.  VPART resides in the boot sector
> and is very easy to add, remove or update.

That is the problem (VPART).

BM will happily boot above 1023 if INT 13 extensions are present. But BM
(and the volume boot sector) rely on the MBR setting a flag to say that
the extensions are present (i.e. the detection is done just once, in the
MBR). By replacing the MBR you stop that flag getting set.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..

OS/2 LVM and Linux booting

Post by Iain All » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:50:25

> IBM just released a newer version of BM and added some additional
> support (partition type 0F).  It *might* boot Linux above 1023 but the
> reports on that are mixed and no one seems to have a definitive answer
> yet on that subject.

Mandrake 8.2 booted with both BM and VPART here.  BM failed until
LVM /newmbr:1 was run.  DFSee can add Linux to an LVM BM without needing
to make it a volume.  A run and save of LVM is required, but no need to
bother with the usual LVM requirment of making a volume first.

Quote:> In earlier versions you couldn't boot OS/2 in a logical drive (had to
> be a primary) with LILO.  I have again seen some reports that no longer
> is the case, but again the reports are sketchy at this point.

I think I started with Redhat 4.(something).  Never had to use Primaries
for it while I've tested various versions over the years.