free software for radiology; possible job opportunity

free software for radiology; possible job opportunity

Post by Rob Huffstedtle » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

First off, yes, I realize I'm posting this using a crappy MS product.  I'm
at work and don't feel like telnetting into my machine at home (ten hops
away) and running trn just to preserve a sense of ideological purity.  If
you have a problem with that, bite me.

Anyway, to the point.  I work for a teleradiology company in Nashville, TN.
We have fif* sites or so across the nation.  Each site requires that we
put in several tens of thousands of dollars of imaging communication
equipment.  Most of that cost is software.  Right now the boxes are mostly
Sparcs running Solaris 2.5.  There is a move to replace that with NT.  I'd
much rather replace them with Alphas running Linux.

I don't want to see that happen.  I would like to see us hire a developer
and start building our own PACS equipment that would more or less conform to
the Open Source guidelines.  I have a meeting with our CEO in a couple of
weeks to pitch the idea.  I'm sure I can sell them on hiring a developer;
I'm not sure about the Open Source part.

If any of you guys have done any development for medical apps, or if you
have general development experience with imaging applications and
client-server programming and would like to help me flesh out some ideas, or
if you want to send me a resume so that I can walk into this meeting and
say, "I've already found some people who might be interested in working with
us to develop and coordinate development" and show a stack of resumes, then

If we can pull this off, it could be a nice publicity win for free software.

[...]

Post by Paul E. Bennet » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyway, to the point.  I work for a teleradiology company in Nashville, TN.
> We have fif* sites or so across the nation.  Each site requires that we
> put in several tens of thousands of dollars of imaging communication
> equipment.  Most of that cost is software.  Right now the boxes are mostly
> Sparcs running Solaris 2.5.  There is a move to replace that with NT.  I'd
> much rather replace them with Alphas running Linux.

Fair size project then.

Quote:> I don't want to see that happen.  I would like to see us hire a developer
> and start building our own PACS equipment that would more or less conform to
> the Open Source guidelines.  I have a meeting with our CEO in a couple of
> weeks to pitch the idea.  I'm sure I can sell them on hiring a developer;
> I'm not sure about the Open Source part.

By Open Source do you really mean "Open Firmware" to IEEE1275 as every
Sparc will be running for boot-up. I am currently working on some new
hardware that will be running a version of Open Firmware for High
Integrity Control Systems applications. We should talk.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.   <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Going Forth Safely

1. New Organization to Serve Free Software Community: Free Software Union

Free Software Union
                http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
                       "Free Software Lovers Unite!"

This is a call to all Free Software developers, users, and enthusiasts
to join a novel new organization that could act as a unifying center
for the Free Software community!

The FSU is a volunteer, democratic organization dedicated to the Free
Software community. It provides all users, developers, and enthusiasts
with full-voice, free membership in a voting decision making body. It
channels resources, manpower, and community feedback for voter
endorsed project implementation.

We hope to help develop middleware and large-scale application
development, among other things, giving real, large scale application
suites to Linux, FreeBSD, and other OSes.

The FSU gives developers guarantee of wide acceptance and support by
providing guidelines and tools for development to produce consistent
and inter-operable software, and volunteer man-power recruiting
assistance for large endorsed projects.

The FSU gives users the ability to participate in the future of Free
Software, and to find existing and future Free Software solutions for
their needs.

The FSU gives enthusiasts the ability to actively participate in work
on Free Software projects, and provide resources and assistance to
projects (such as web page maintance, design, coding, publicity,
documentation, etc).

Some of the projects that the FSU is currently considering is the
adoption of CORBA or SOM, licensed porting/re-implementation of
OpenDoc, a "Free Software Map" database of all known free software
projects (a superset of LSM), and much more!

By supplementing the private resources of the Free Software Foundation
with the resources, man-power, knowledge, and feedback from the
community at large, the FSU and FSF together could promise a very
bright future for Free Software!

   Find out more and join at: http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
[EOB]

2. FreeBSD 3.3 in second hd?

3. WWW: Unmaintained Free Software -- an Index of orphaned Free Software projects

4. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol

5. Software Package Free! ... about our Free Software

6. PBBS

7. The Free Software Jobs page

8. what's matter with my apache?

9. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs And More Jobs!!!