is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

Post by tvn198 » Wed, 29 May 2002 00:21:18

Hi,

just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Tue, 28 May 2002 21:27:36

thought it fit to write:

Quote:> Hi,

> just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
> so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

I don't know about 7.2, but it is not in 7.1 and 7.3.

Unlikely.

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Wed, 29 May 2002 07:05:56

>> just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
>> so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

> I don't know about 7.2, but it is not in 7.1 and 7.3.

> Unlikely.

Both RH 7.1 and 7.2 have it in the kernels, so I would expect 7.3 has this
feature also. It looks like you are wrong on both counts.

--

Vladimir

is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

Post by Sinister Midge » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:06:09

On Mon, 27 May 2002 06:21:18 -0500, tvn1981 claimed:

Quote:> Hi,

> just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
> so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

Yes.

--
Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

Post by Sinister Midge » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:06:09

On Mon, 27 May 2002 07:27:36 -0500, Madhusudan Singh claimed:

> On Monday 27 May 2002 15:21, tvn1981, purporting to be

>> Hi,

>> just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
>> so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

> I don't know about 7.2, but it is not in 7.1 and 7.3.

> Unlikely.

Damn. I guess I'll stop using it and recompile my kernel for 7.3. I didn't
know it wasn't working in 7.1 either. I'm pretty sure I was using it (I
was still uninformed on it at the time) in 7.2, but I had it installed
such a short time that I can't be absolutely sure it was there.

Now, tongue out of cheek: 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 are fine with no recompiling.

--
"Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall."

Post by Chris Coyl » Wed, 29 May 2002 13:26:21

> Hi,

> just wondering if Rh 7.2 kernel has IP Masquerading built in by default
> so I can use it without recompiling the kernel.  Thanks

Yes all the Red Hat kernels have ip-masq support compiled in.
You just have to turn it on (ie. configure it).

is IP Masquerading supported in Redhat 7.2 default ?

Post by tvn198 » Wed, 29 May 2002 20:45:40

Hi, sorry I am not sure what you mean reconfigure the default kernel.
So I would have to Reconfigure and recompile the kernel ?

Post by Matthew P. Cumming » Wed, 29 May 2002 21:18:50

> Hi, sorry I am not sure what you mean reconfigure the default kernel. So
> I would have to Reconfigure and recompile the kernel ?

No you don't.  He said configure it, not the kernel.  So, setup your
network for ip masq and it will be done.  If you do a search of google
you'll see lots of examples of how to do it, it's not that *ce you
learn how.  Maybe try something like the following, not sure if it's all
needed now.  That assumes your other computers on the network are
numbered like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 etc...

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
--
Matthew P. Cummings

1. IP Masquerading - RedHat 7.2 kernel-2.4.9-13smp

Dear all,
    I'm trying to configure IP Masquerading so that my laptop can
share the internet connection with the linux box. I've done it once
following the Home-Network Mini Howto. However, I reinstalled the
whole linxu box after a hard drive died. Then the same procedure
didn't work any more.
   So my current situation is that I can ping 192.168.0.1(eth1 in
linux box) and its outside IP address (eth0, assigned by ISP) from my
laptop. But I can't get outside. ping to www.yahoo.com gives me
"unknown host name" error. I tried both ipchains and iptables. The
result is the same. Here is the ipchains setup.

/sbin/ipchains -F input
/sbin/ipchains -F forward
/sbin/ipchains -F output

/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
/sbin/ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -s 0/0 68 -d 0/0 67 -p udp

/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

I have enabled ip_forward and ip_always_defrag by changing
/etc/sysctl.conf, but only ip_forward is created in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4. There is not ip_always_defrag. But I'm not sure
whether this is the only reason. If yes, how could I create this file?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg

2. asp.net

3. IP Masquerading in RedHat 7.2 - Problems with ping and sending files

4. linux printing question...

5. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

6. Radeon IGP320 driver

7. IP masquerading, Net games, and Mandrake 7.2

8. defunct process. what is this process and why this problem occur?

9. IP masquerading, Net Games, and Mandrake 7.2

10. Linux Masquerading with KDE GUI (Redhat 7.2)

11. Redhat 7.3 change of LANG=en_US default (from Solaris 8 or Linux 7.2)

12. Customizing default Gnome desktop on RedHat Linux 7.2

13. compile apache with default configure parameter for redhat 7.2