gnucash or other financial programs

Post by Kerry J. Co » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

    I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
    Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
    I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
successful in doing this?
    Thanks in advance.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

| (801) 994-8800 x101   http://www.vii.com              |
| ICQ# 37681165         http://quasi.vii.com/linux/     |
`-------------------------------------------------------'

gnucash or other financial programs

Post by Christopher W. Aike » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have yet been able to get Quicken to run with WINE so I
gave up.  I downloaded MONEYDANCE and the appropriate
JAVA.  The install was a little more that just unzip and untar.
Piece of cake.  I've been using it for about two months w/o
any problems.  I just recently "purchased" a personal license
for MONEYDANCE.  I feel it is money well spent to support
a good product.  BTW  I used Quicken to "export" my data
and accounts in a qif format.  I then used MONEYDANCE
to "import" the data.  No problems at all.

...cwa

>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
> successful in doing this?
>     Thanks in advance.
> KJ

> --
> .-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
> | Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

> | (801) 994-8800 x101   http://www.vii.com              |
> | ICQ# 37681165         http://quasi.vii.com/linux/     |
> `-------------------------------------------------------'

Christopher W. Aiken

www.cwaiken.com
SuSE 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5

The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

gnucash or other financial programs

Post by Justin B Willough » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have yet been able to get Quicken to run with WINE so I
> gave up.  I downloaded MONEYDANCE and the appropriate
> JAVA.  The install was a little more that just unzip and untar.
> Piece of cake.  I've been using it for about two months w/o
> any problems.  I just recently "purchased" a personal license
> for MONEYDANCE.  I feel it is money well spent to support
> a good product.  BTW  I used Quicken to "export" my data
> and accounts in a qif format.  I then used MONEYDANCE
> to "import" the data.  No problems at all.

I also use MoneyDance and have been pretty happy with it (no problems).

- Justin

>>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
>> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
>> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
>> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
>> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
>>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
>> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
>> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
>> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
>> successful in doing this?
>>     Thanks in advance.
>> KJ

>> --
>> .-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
>> | Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

>> | (801) 994-8800 x101   http://www.vii.com              |
>> | ICQ# 37681165         http://quasi.vii.com/linux/     |
>> `-------------------------------------------------------'

> --
> Christopher W. Aiken

> www.cwaiken.com
> SuSE 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5

> The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

Post by Jerry Lynn Krep » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.

I was at GunCash.org last weekend and it was up.  When I downloaded it
and looked at the install requirements it wanted me to dl some motiff
stuff, or use a certain version of lesstif, and a couple of other
things.  I decided not too.  I think GNUcash should consider "putting
all their eggs in one basket" so the user only has to download and
compile a single source.  Otherwise, compile static  binaries using the
various libraries.  I may try it again soon, though.

Quote:>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete

Moneydance requires the JRE (Java Runtime Environment, check for which
version, which you can get from the www.blackdown.org site), which Sean,
the author, didn't supply with Moneydance, at least the last time I
checked.  JRE is nearly 10MB of stuff, but even so it is a lot easier to
install than GNUcash.  If GNUcash doesn't get its act togeather before
the end of the year I am going to go with MoneyDance.
Be advised that MoneyDance is not GPL, there is a $25 charge.

Quote:> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
> successful in doing this?

You might want to consider VMWARE, which allows you to run both Linux
and WinXX simultaneously.  If you version of Quicken was for Win 3.1 it
may run ok in WINE, otherwise I wouldn't bet on it.

--

JLK
"The measure of worth - 'wealth' - is knowledge and competence.

Post by Leonard Even » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
> successful in doing this?
>     Thanks in advance.
> KJ

> --
> .-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
> | Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

> | (801) 994-8800 x101   http://www.vii.com              |
> | ICQ# 37681165         http://quasi.vii.com/linux/     |
> `-------------------------------------------------------'

I would think it would not be too hard for Quicken to port
a basic version of its program to Linux.  Also, it would make
sense for them to do so since Microsoft is not likely to follow
suit, and it would provide a potentially large market for them.

I recently switched to Quicken after many years of using a
Pascal program I wrote in 1982.  I did so only because I wanted
other people to be able to access my financial records were I
to become disabled.   Quicken is a nice program, but I don't
see why its basic functions cannot be replicated under Linux.
Perhaps gnucash and other attempts are too ambitious.  All I
really need is the ability to enter and write checks, to
search for checks, to classify entries and write reports.
I don't even need a gui; it would be fine if it ran in a
terminal window.

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I would think it would not be too hard for Quicken to port
>a basic version of its program to Linux.  Also, it would make
>sense for them to do so since Microsoft is not likely to follow
>suit, and it would provide a potentially large market for them.

ISTR Quicken for DOS was the test application used to develop DOSEMU.
When did it stop running?  Does the current Quicken run on Wine?

Cameron

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> >I would think it would not be too hard for Quicken to port
> >a basic version of its program to Linux.  Also, it would make
> >sense for them to do so since Microsoft is not likely to follow
> >suit, and it would provide a potentially large market for them.

> ISTR Quicken for DOS was the test application used to develop DOSEMU.
> When did it stop running?  Does the current Quicken run on Wine?

> Cameron

--I have Quicken Basic 99, and according to the ratings of
programs on the wine web page, it has rating 1---which means
that in effect it does not run.   Some early versions of
Quicken probably run.