Too many levels of symbolic links - how to correct a botched symlink?

Too many levels of symbolic links - how to correct a botched symlink?

Post by Jeff Kowalczy » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

newbie question: but I was trying to revise the symbolic link "linux" to
point to the new kernel source. LSShort, I botched it with ln, and now I
have a linux->linux situation. Anytime I try to accesss or delete this link,
I get:
"/usr/src/linux: Too many levels of symbolic links"

How can I correct this? I had learned how to manipulate SymLinks two weeks
back, but I took a couple of weeks off learning linux, and this little mess
is teh result. I suppose I'd beetter get with it, so I can configure the
resultant kernel images correctly.

Thanks.

BTW, I just applied the RH updates, to prepare this fresh 5.2 installation
for a kernel 2.2.1 build, if that could be affecting behavior.

Post by Stephan Schu » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>newbie question: but I was trying to revise the symbolic link "linux" to
>point to the new kernel source. LSShort, I botched it with ln, and now I
>have a linux->linux situation. Anytime I try to accesss or delete this link,
>I get:
>"/usr/src/linux: Too many levels of symbolic links"

>How can I correct this? I had learned how to manipulate SymLinks two weeks
>back, but I took a couple of weeks off learning linux, and this little mess
>is teh result. I suppose I'd beetter get with it, so I can configure the
>resultant kernel images correctly.

Well, the problem is clear: When trying to follow the link, the OS
gets into a loop. Nice case of recursion, actually.

Usually, rm does not care about the contents of a symbolic link - just
type "rm linux" in the appropriate directory. Perhaps your rm is
aliased to something strange? Try /bin/rm or /usr/bin/rm (depending on
where your distribution puts rm).

Stephan

-------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------

Too many levels of symbolic links - how to correct a botched symlink?

Post by Jeff Kowalczy » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I just noticed that rm works. Chagrined :)

Thanks for the help.

Quote:>Usually, rm does not care about the contents of a symbolic link - just

Post by David Z. Maz » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

JK> newbie question: but I was trying to revise the symbolic link
JK> "linux" to point to the new kernel source. LSShort, I botched it
JK> with ln, and now I have a linux->linux situation. Anytime I try to
JK> accesss or delete this link, I get:
JK> "/usr/src/linux: Too many levels of symbolic links"

You should be able to just 'rm' the link.

--

"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"
"Oh, sure, Dave, whatever...you _do_ know what that does, right?"

1. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

Hello,

I'm fighting with a FreeBSD machine. Roughly what I'm up to: I clean
installed FreeBSD, with the DES option. The goal is to set up an Apache
on the machine. Then I performed a rdist from a BSDI machine, importing
stuff like password file, user directories, user quotas, shells. The
Apache works
just fine, but when I try to run Perl I get stuck with the error
message:
"Too many symbolic links" (under bash), "Symbolic link loop" (under sh).
I've
scanned through my symbolic links w/o finding something striking.
Basically, the
links I have are "shortcuts to shells", some links to user logs...
Anyone seen this kind of problem? Anyone solved it? How?

        Cheers

                Michael
--
Michael Hallgren, Easynet France
Write : http://www.loria.fr/tex

2. read access by scripts?

3. Question about symbolic links: Which is the correct behavior?

4. Hard numbers about free software

5. Too many levels of symbolic links

6. CD-R CW-7501 command codes ?

7. What to do with "too many levels of symbolic link" error ?

8. Solaris 2.4 for Intel

9. Apache:Too many levels of symbolic links

10. symbolic link not a real link

11. kill symbolic link along with the linked file?

12. symbolic link not a real link

13. regular link of a symbolic link