QUESTION: How to send html or other MIME type from command line.

Post by David Z. Maz » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ben> I am trying to write a program which will send mail to people.
Ben> The trick is that I want to send them something that will open as
Ben> HTML (in their Netscape viewer).

(NB: not everybody uses Netscape as a mailreader.  It's *really*
annoying to get HTML-formatted mail where (a) there's no real
formatting, just an HTML-formatted plain-text message and/or (b)
you're not using a mailreader that understands HTML/MIME.)

Ben> I'm pretty sure I need to do something with mime types, but I
Ben> don't know what or how.
Ben>
Ben> Can I get 'mail' to do this somehow?  If not, got any ideas?  I'm
Ben> not getting to far searching the web...

It looks like 'metasend' from the metamail package will do what you
want.  But please make sure you have a good reason for doing this...

--

"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"
"Oh, sure, Dave, whatever...you _do_ know what that does, right?"

Post by Ben Greea » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Ben> I am trying to write a program which will send mail to people.
> Ben> The trick is that I want to send them something that will open as
> Ben> HTML (in their Netscape viewer).

> (NB: not everybody uses Netscape as a mailreader.  It's *really*
> annoying to get HTML-formatted mail where (a) there's no real
> formatting, just an HTML-formatted plain-text message and/or (b)
> you're not using a mailreader that understands HTML/MIME.)

I know, but I want to send mail that is really a CGI script.  It
will be an invitation to play soccer with us on Wednesdays.  I figure
if all they have to do is click yes, or no, then they will respond.

I can then keep a real-time tally of who is and is not going
to play.

Of course, I think this could be useful for other things too.

Also, I hate HTML in the wrong places as bad as anyone, but it
also has it's good points, and my company uses it for it's mail
reader, so I will know my target audience.

Quote:

> Ben> I'm pretty sure I need to do something with mime types, but I
> Ben> don't know what or how.
> Ben>
> Ben> Can I get 'mail' to do this somehow?  If not, got any ideas?  I'm
> Ben> not getting to far searching the web...

> It looks like 'metasend' from the metamail package will do what you
> want.  But please make sure you have a good reason for doing this...

Thanks, I'll dig it up!

Ben

> --

> "Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"
> "Oh, sure, Dave, whatever...you _do_ know what that does, right?"

--

Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444        (Released under GPL)
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

QUESTION: How to send html or other MIME type from command line.

Post by Ben Greea » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to write a program which will send mail to people.  The
trick is that
I want to send them something that will open as HTML (in their Netscape
viewer).  I'm pretty sure I need to do something with mime types, but I
don't know what or how.

Can I get 'mail' to do this somehow?  If not, got any ideas?  I'm not
getting
to far searching the web...

Thanks a million,
Ben