Determining CONNECT speed, incoming...

Post by chri » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Greetings.  I'm looking for a way to determine the speed at which remote
(dialup) users have connected to the system.  Not necessarily the
results of 'stty speed' but more like, 14.4, 28.8, et cetera.  I'm trying
to write a BBS program that, among other things, will enforce time-limits
on connections, and will prevent a download if the user's connect speed is
realistically too low to allow a full download in the time remaining.

Is there an easy way to cull this from Linux?  I'll probably be using
'agetty' unless something esle would work better.

Thanks!

Chris Harshman, sysadmin           |  "A witty saying proves nothing."

http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman  |

Post by David Lee Lamber » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings.  I'm looking for a way to determine the speed at which remote
> (dialup) users have connected to the system.  Not necessarily the
> results of 'stty speed' but more like, 14.4, 28.8, et cetera.  I'm trying
> to write a BBS program that, among other things, will enforce time-limits
> on connections, and will prevent a download if the user's connect speed is
> realistically too low to allow a full download in the time remaining.

> Is there an easy way to cull this from Linux?  I'll probably be using
> 'agetty' unless something esle would work better.

agetty -n might pass it through.  In any case,  a Hayes modem will display
a message of the form "CONNECT <speed><other info>" upon connection;  once
you get that info,  you'll have what you need.  You might need to write
a special script in init to do tat,  or hack agetty.

David Lee Lambert   MHm 16x20   Hack Programmer and Student
Admin of lmert.dyn.ml.org           http://lmert.dyn.ml.org
My web pages are at http://web.egr.msu.edu/~lamber45

Determining CONNECT speed, incoming...

Post by Graham Philip Cro » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

My hayes compat modem is set to report both CONNECT and CARRIER speeds.
Connect speed is the speed between the modem and the computer
Carrier speed is the telephone line baud rate.

Modems seem to be set up by default to report connect speed only

: > Greetings.  I'm looking for a way to determine the speed at which remote
: > (dialup) users have connected to the system.  Not necessarily the
: > results of 'stty speed' but more like, 14.4, 28.8, et cetera.  I'm trying
: > to write a BBS program that, among other things, will enforce time-limits
: > on connections, and will prevent a download if the user's connect speed is
: > realistically too low to allow a full download in the time remaining.
: >

--
        /\         SUN of them wants to use you,
       \\ \

1. determine modem connect speed?

Does anybody know of a way to display the modem
connect speed whenever one dials in? I'm using
pppd from the command line. The older version of pppd
seemed to write the connect speed into /etc/ppp/CONNECT_ERRORS,
but the newer one in RH5.2 doesn't seem to do that anymore.
I don't like to turn on the 'debug' option all the time..

Thanks

Tom

2. Bidirection LPT standard?

3. How do I determine ppp dialup connect speed?

4. : Looking for libs in all the wrong places

5. Determining incoming domain name & redirecting

6. networking

7. Limiting incoming connection speed (Smoothwall ppp)

8. IP Masquerade problem

9. Determining negotiated speed & duplex on iprb ethernet device

10. determining link speed for Ethernet cards

11. determine processor speed

12. How to determine speed and mode of ethernet interface

13. Trying to determine my 56k connection speed