Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

Post by Michael J Hard » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am a new user of Linux and X, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.
I seem to be having problems with my Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey keyboard in X.
 The '+' key on the numeric keypad does not appear to be functioning
properly all of the time.  For example, when I press '+' in an xterm, it
appears as a "," (comma).  Further, I am not able to change resolutions by
using the Ctl-Alt-'+' command.  However, when I press the '+' key in another
application, say Emacs or Netscape, it functions correctly, printing a "+".

I believe the problem is related to the keyboard settings in my XF86Config
file.  During the installation procedure, I selected "Generic 101 Key
Keyboard."  I have looked in several HOWTOs, but I have not found a solution
to this problem.  Please reply with any suggestions you might have.

Michael Harder
(Remove the NOSPAM to reply via Email)

Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

Post by Christopher Mahmoo » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i don't know anyting about that keyboard, you may want to check the
keyboard HOWTO on how to use xmodmap.
-ckm

Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey Keyboard and numeric '+' in X

Post by I.J. Garli » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> I am a new user of Linux and X, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.
> I seem to be having problems with my Gateway 2000 124+ AnyKey keyboard in X.

Quote:>  The '+' key on the numeric keypad does not appear to be functioning
> properly all of the time.  For example, when I press '+' in an xterm, it
> appears as a "," (comma).  Further, I am not able to change resolutions by
> using the Ctl-Alt-'+' command.  However, when I press the '+' key in another
> application, say Emacs or Netscape, it functions correctly, printing a "+".

Must admit mine works like a dream for over a year now. (I am sure you are now
very jealous)

Quote:

> I believe the problem is related to the keyboard settings in my XF86Config
> file.  During the installation procedure, I selected "Generic 101 Key
> Keyboard."  I have looked in several HOWTOs, but I have not found a solution
> to this problem.  Please reply with any suggestions you might have.

Right down to business. I spotted this one yesterday but wanted to check my
home config before replying.  I only have 2 entries in my keyboard section
of the XF86Config that are not hashed out.

So my Keyboard section is like this.
# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol   "Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol  "Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat 500 5
# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
# when using pre-R6 clients
#    ServerNumLock

# Specifiy which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

#    LeftAlt     Meta
#    RightAlt    ModeShift
#    RightCtl    Compose
#    ScrollLock  ModeLock

EndSection

You could try these settings and see if it gets you anywhere.

The other section to look at is the ServerFlags, did you uncomment the line:-

#    DontZoom

If so comment it out again.

If nonie of this works I am stumped. Sorry:-).

--
Ian J. Garlick