Prob with SMC Ether EZ and Ether Power netcard

Prob with SMC Ether EZ and Ether Power netcard

Post by Uwe Braue » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:25:19

Hi

I tried to use either the SMC Ether EZ (8416)
or SMC 9432 TX (Ether Power II)
under SuSe 6.4
I could not find the driver for the first card. And also the second
listed as experimental did not work neither compiled as a module nor
embedded in the kernel.

Anybody has experience on this

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

Post by Dave Bro » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:35:52

>I tried to use either the SMC Ether EZ (8416)
>or SMC 9432 TX (Ether Power II)
>under SuSe 6.4
>I could not find the driver for the first card. And also the second
>listed as experimental did not work neither compiled as a module nor
>embedded in the kernel.

I use an SMC Ether EZ card, but it's product number is something like
"1211TX".  It uses the rtl8139 module (shows up in the network devices
when you enable "experimental" code).

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Post by Harold F. Bowe » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 04:43:02

> Hi

> I tried to use either the SMC Ether EZ (8416)
> or SMC 9432 TX (Ether Power II)
> under SuSe 6.4
> I could not find the driver for the first card. And also the second
> listed as experimental did not work neither compiled as a module nor
> embedded in the kernel.

> Anybody has experience on this

> Thanks

> Uwe Brauer

I use an SMC EtherEZ (8416) in a TurboLinux system.  It uses the
'smc-ultra' driver, but be sure that the IO and IRQ are set correctly.
I recommend that you get the EEPROM configuration utility from SMC's web
site (it is a DOS utility unfortunately) and set the parameters as you
like.

Hal

Post by Gerald Willman » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:00:49

> I use an SMC EtherEZ (8416) in a TurboLinux system.  It uses the
> 'smc-ultra' driver, but be sure that the IO and IRQ are set correctly.
> I recommend that you get the EEPROM configuration utility from SMC's web
> site (it is a DOS utility unfortunately) and set the parameters as you
> like.

I also use a SMC card with the smc-ultra module and it definitely wasn't
"set the parameters as you like". If you let the DOS utility selfconfigure
it that doesn't work (or didn't for us). We got them (we have a couple of
them where I work) to run with IRQ 5 at address 240 and something at d400.
But even then it won't work after a warm reboot but only coming up cold.

  Gerald

1. SMC 9432 TX (Ether Power II) and SMC Ether EZ (8416)

Hi

I tried to use either the SMC Ether EZ (8416)
or SMC 9432 TX (Ether Power II)
under SuSe 6.4
I could not find the driver for the first card. And also the second
listed as experimental did not work neither compiled as a module nor
embedded in the kernel.

Anybody has experience on this

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

2. term116 on Linux Box

3. Is SMC Ether EZ (8416BT) supported on FreeBSD?

4. beginning help

5. SMC Ether EZ 10/100 Network Card

6. Back-Up Internet Connection.

7. SMC Ether EZ 8416 BTA

8. Using C++ in the kernel

9. SMC Ether EZ driver...

10. SMC Ether EZ Problems with kernel 2.2.4

11. RH 5.2, SMB Installation, SMC Ether EZ 8416

12. SMC Ether EZ problems

13. SMC ETHER POWER 2 (PCI)- dual ethernet port