Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by Soltze » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
"virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.

--
Glen McWhorter
=================================

Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by J. David Eisenber » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
: "virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
: edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
: someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.

In KDE, choose Setting/Desktop/Borders, and uncheck the
"Enable active desktop border" checkbox.

I don't have GNOME running at the moment, so I can't tell you
how to do it there.

: --
: Glen McWhorter
: =================================
--
J. David Eisenberg    http://www.best.com/~nessus

Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by Ian Barwic » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> : I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
> : "virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
> : edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
> : someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.

> In KDE, choose Setting/Desktop/Borders, and uncheck the
> "Enable active desktop border" checkbox.

> I don't have GNOME running at the moment, so I can't tell you
> how to do it there.

Another way might be to change the file /etc/XF86Config , which controls
the virtual desktop at X-Server level. This should save you the bother of
changing the settings in individual windows managers.  Open the file (make
a backup first!) and scroll down towards the end, where you should see
something like:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "640x400"
      Virtual      1280 1024
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        15
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "640x400"
      Virtual      1280 1024
   EndSubSection
EndSection

The entry "Virtual" defines the size of the virtual desktop. You can
either delete it, comment it out with # or change it to the same values as
the monitor resolution you use.

Note that in the entry "Modes" the first value will be the monitor
resolution actually used by the X-Server. However, if for any reason
this is smaller than the largest resolution possible, and the value for a
larger resolution is included in the entry, X will probably default to a
virtual desktop the same size as the largest entry.

HTH

Ian Barwick

Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by Sascha Appe » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Edit the XF86Config file (usually in /etc/X11).
In the section where the settings for various X-Servers like the resolutions
are made ( I don't remember the section heading but there is e.g. a
"Viewport 0 0"
in) add a line Virtual x y, where x and y represents your actual
resolution. Do this for every color-depth section.

Sascha

>I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
>"virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
>edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
>someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.

>--
>Glen McWhorter
>=================================
>I'm so close to Hell I can almost see Vegas!
>=================================

Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by Matt O'Tool » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> : I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
> : "virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
> : edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
> : someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.
> In KDE, choose Setting/Desktop/Borders, and uncheck the
> "Enable active desktop border" checkbox.

AFAIK, the active border feature simply allows automatic dragging of windows
from one desktop to another.  For example, if you're working in desktop one,
and you drag your window to all the way off screen to the right, it will
automatically snap into desktop two.

To disable the virtual screen setup, where you have to pan annoyingly across
your workspace, you have to edit your XF86Config file.  I've forgotten
exactly what has to be done, but it involves matching the desktop settings
with your actual screen resolution.

BTW, this is another silly Linux ease-of-use issue.  I don't know anyone who
works with their screen in this stupid, pan-and-scan mode, which is the
default setting.  Everyone seems to change it as soon as they figure out
how.  I don't see how it could be useful, except with a really big monitor
at a really high resolution (which I've tried, and it's still a pain in the
butt, and the fonts are still really, really ugly).  With so many desktops
available, it's easier to spread the windows around and click between
screens, than to pile all the windows into one desktop, and then try to
reposition the screen over them.  It's nice to have such a configuration
option, but by no means should it be the default setting.

Matt O.

Turn off Virtual desktop?

Post by Ferdinand V. Mendoz » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
In your XF86Config file, search for something like
Virtual ( I forgot if it's a capital or small v) and
delete it. Also look for the
lines with Viewport and set it  to

Viewport    0   0

Hope this helps.

Ferdinand

> I'm running redhat 6.0 and have GNOME, KDE, etc installed.  While the
> "virtual desktop" is a nice feature, I'd like to turn it off so that the
> edge of the viewable screen _is_ actually the edge of the screen. Can
> someone direct me as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks.

> --
> Glen McWhorter
> =================================
> I'm so close to Hell I can almost see Vegas!
> =================================

1. turn off virtual desktop

how so I get rid of that damn virtual destop?
I specified no virtual desktop on the install of RH 6.1, but I still have
it. Looked at XF86Config and all lines with "virtual" were commented out.
Next, I made a copy of the file and then removed all lines containing
virtual in the origial. I then tried to set virtual to 640x480 (my screen
size). Still there!
help please.
Thanks.

2. Exabyte 8500c tapes from SunOS 4.1.3 -> Solaris 2.4

3. Turning off Virtual Desktop

4. Ping problem

5. How do I turn off the virtual desktop?

6. HELP: WinNT Postscript and Ghostscript viewing????

7. Turning off Open Desktop to save RAM

8. Another fine example of MS programming:

9. Turning off desktop icons tooltips?

10. How to turn off desktop

11. Turn off virtual res. in XFree ?

12. How to turn off beep in virtual consoles?

13. Turn off virtual resolution on XFree86