X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Kenny Qili Zh » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:08:08

Hi friends,

I got a IBM Thinkpad A30P to set up. It has a ATi Radeon Mobility with 8M Video ram. I used Slackware 8.0. Initial X doesn't work with the XFree86 4.1.0 that comes with Slackware 8. Then I downloaded binary tgz's of 4.2.0 and installed it. This time the card is detected and X appeared. But the screen is messed with parallel horizontal "ghost lines". Funny thing is the mouse cursor looks fine. I suspect it's the modeline. Any suggestions what to do? many thanks!

Kenny

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Martin Kolle » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:58:57

I have the same problem on my Thinkpad A30, and I also tried yesterday
with XFree 4.2.0 ... What I see in the log-file from XFree is, that it
tells me "[agp] AGP not available".
I have no idea what to do. What I read in some postings is, that
the kernel has to load agpgart module (don't ask me why), but if I try
insmod agpgart I get some error like "cannot initialize module" or something
like
this.

What I use now instead of the "radeon" driver in the XFree config file,
is the "vesa" driver. This works.
Also the radeon driver works, if I use the Option NoAccel, but then
you can forget the performance ...

Do you have an idea what to do, that the agpgart module can be used?

I use RedHat 7.2 out of the box, and installed XFree86 4.2.0

Martin

Quote:> Hi friends,

> I got a IBM Thinkpad A30P to set up. It has a ATi Radeon Mobility with 8M

Video ram. I used Slackware 8.0. Initial X doesn't work with the XFree86
4.1.0 that comes with Slackware 8. Then I downloaded binary tgz's of 4.2.0
and installed it. This time the card is detected and X appeared. But the
screen is messed with parallel horizontal "ghost lines". Funny thing is the
mouse cursor looks fine. I suspect it's the modeline. Any suggestions what
to do? many thanks!
Quote:

> Kenny

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Ritwik Bhattachary » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:02:50

add the line

options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

to your /etc/modules.conf file, and then do modprobe agpgart.

ritwik

Post by Kenny Qili Zh » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:49:29

> add the line
> options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
> to your /etc/modules.conf file, and then do modprobe agpgart.
> ritwik

Hi, I tried that. At first it worked fine. But after I reboot, the messy lines came back again.

Kenny

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Kenny Qili Zh » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:26:45

I got a IBM Thinkpad A30P to set up. It has a ATi Radeon Mobility with 8M Video ram. I used Slackware 8.0. Initial X doesn't work with the XFree86 4.1.0 that comes with Slackware 8. Then I downloaded binary tgz's of 4.2.0 and installed it. This time the card is detected and X appeared. But the screen is messed with parallel horizontal "ghost lines". Funny thing is the mouse cursor looks fine. X works fine if noaccel. Do I need to recompile the agpgart in the kernel? But I'm already using the module. Any su
ggestions what to do? many thanks!

Kenny

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Ritwik Bhattachary » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:15

That probably means that the module is not being automatically loaded at
boot time. You can try adding

modprobe agpgart

to your rc.local file in /etc/rc.d

Ritwik

>>add the line

>>options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

>>to your /etc/modules.conf file, and then do modprobe agpgart.

>>ritwik

> Hi, I tried that. At first it worked fine. But after I reboot, the messy lines came back again.

> Kenny

X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

Post by Martin Kolle » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:58:47

I solved it. It was due to the kernel compilation ..

See: http://members.surfeu.at/m.koller/IBM-Thinkpad-A30-RedHat7.2.html

Martin

> I have the same problem on my Thinkpad A30, and I also tried yesterday
> with XFree 4.2.0 ... What I see in the log-file from XFree is, that it
> tells me "[agp] AGP not available".
> I have no idea what to do. What I read in some postings is, that
> the kernel has to load agpgart module (don't ask me why), but if I try
> insmod agpgart I get some error like "cannot initialize module" or
something
> like
> this.

> What I use now instead of the "radeon" driver in the XFree config file,
> is the "vesa" driver. This works.
> Also the radeon driver works, if I use the Option NoAccel, but then
> you can forget the performance ...

> Do you have an idea what to do, that the agpgart module can be used?

> I use RedHat 7.2 out of the box, and installed XFree86 4.2.0

> Martin

> > Hi friends,

> > I got a IBM Thinkpad A30P to set up. It has a ATi Radeon Mobility with
8M
> Video ram. I used Slackware 8.0. Initial X doesn't work with the XFree86
> 4.1.0 that comes with Slackware 8. Then I downloaded binary tgz's of 4.2.0
> and installed it. This time the card is detected and X appeared. But the
> screen is messed with parallel horizontal "ghost lines". Funny thing is
the
> mouse cursor looks fine. I suspect it's the modeline. Any suggestions what
> to do? many thanks!

> > Kenny

1. X Config for ATI Radeon Mobility (IBM A30P Notebook)

I got a IBM Thinkpad A30P to set up. It has a ATi Radeon Mobility with 8M Video ram. I used Slackware 8.0. Initial X doesn't work with the XFree86 4.1.0 that comes with Slackware 8. Then I downloaded binary tgz's of 4.2.0 and installed it. This time the card is detected and X appeared. But the screen is messed with parallel horizontal "ghost lines". Funny thing is the mouse cursor looks fine. X works fine if noaccel. Do I need to recompile the agpgart in the kernel? But I'm already using the module. Any su
ggestions what to do? many thanks!

Kenny

2. licq - unable to allocate tcp port

3. HELP needed for thinkpad A30p 15"/ATI mobi Radeon 32M

4. Problems with addbadsec

5. ATI Radeon Mobility M1 (8M Mach64) Linux Opengl support?

6. Dynamic PPP and Solaris 2.4

7. ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

8. Alternate way to edit k menu???

9. newbie vs ati radeon mobility m6p

10. Q: support status for ATI Mobility Radeon/DRI?

11. ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (64MB onchip version) supported?

12. YDL 2.2 on new Powerbook G4 w/ ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

13. ATI Mobility Radeon 9000