Where's ConfigXF86?(SYBEX)

Post by Takes » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I bought "The complete Linux kit" by SYBEX and trying to install
X-windows. The book mention about the directly

        /usr/X11/lib/X11/Xconfig

but it's not there.
Also, the comand "ConfigXF86" but seems like there are no such a
command.
I did install XFree86 3.1.1. I even installed it several time but
still the directly and the command are not there.
Please help me. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Takeshi

--
Takeshi Morozumi
:)

Where's ConfigXF86?(SYBEX)

Post by Jerry R. Christophe » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I bought "The complete Linux kit" by SYBEX and trying to install
> X-windows. The book mention about the directly

>         /usr/X11/lib/X11/Xconfig

> but it's not there.
> Also, the comand "ConfigXF86" but seems like there are no such a
> command.
> I did install XFree86 3.1.1. I even installed it several time but
> still the directly and the command are not there.
> Please help me. Am I doing something wrong?

> Thanks,

> Takeshi

> --
> Takeshi Morozumi
> :)

I'm not familiar with "The Complete Linux Kit" book you mention,
but with setting up XFree86, I remember using "xf86config" with
a Slackware distrubution and "Xconfigurator" with RedHat.

You might have one of these?

Chris

--
Jerry Christopher

Where's ConfigXF86?(SYBEX)

Post by Ken Gaugl » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I bought "The complete Linux kit" by SYBEX and trying to install
>X-windows. The book mention about the directly
>    /usr/X11/lib/X11/Xconfig
>but it's not there.
>Also, the comand "ConfigXF86" but seems like there are no such a
>command.
>I did install XFree86 3.1.1. I even installed it several time but
>still the directly and the command are not there.
>Please help me. Am I doing something wrong?
>Thanks,
>Takeshi
>--
>Takeshi Morozumi
>:)

You should have a command calle xf86config, which is a script that
will help you set up XFree86.  Ultimately you should end up with a
file in /etc called XF86Config, which contains all your X setup
parameters.

I suggest you get Xfree86 3.1.2 as it seems to be the current
revision.

Where's ConfigXF86?(SYBEX)

Post by Takes » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. It worked perfectly:) I think the
book had a mistake.

Take care,

Takeshi

Quote:>>I bought "The complete Linux kit" by SYBEX and trying to install

--
Takeshi Morozumi
:)

1. ConfigXF86 gives 'No such file or directory' errors

I just completed a fresh install of Slackware (linux 1.1.59) from
ftp.cps.cmich.edu.  My video card is Genoa WindowsVGA 8500VL.  My
monitor is an MGC XGA model 1506 (Nov 92), which is not one of the
supported monitors, so I'm using the VESA - Generic modes option.

Whenever I try to run ConfigXF86, it gets all the way to the part
where it's supposed to start the X server and let me test my video
modes.  At that point the screen clears and it says: "./ConfigXF86:
/tmp/2498.tgs: No such file or directory"

Then the screen clears immediately again and it says:
"These are your available modes
cat:  /tmp/1721.tmnu:  no such file or directory
Enter the number of the resolution mode to fiddle with"

With no numbers/modes listed, the only thing I can do is Ctrl-C
interrupt.  If I go ahead and save the bogus XF86Config file anyway
and startx, it either gives an error about every video mode
being invalid and dies, or else complains that the "rgb" path line or
the "fonts" path line is not a section head and dies.

I have XF86_{8514, mono, SVGA, VGA16, W32} servers installed, with the
"X" file currently linked to XF86_VGA16.

My /tmp directory has permissions drwxrwxrwx and there are other
ConfigXF86 files in it, so the permisisons should not be a problem.

I don't have the manuals for my video card or monitor, so I don't know
the frequencies necessary to construct my own video modes that startx
will accept.

I did get X to work on this c6omputer a year or more ago and didn't have
this problem them.  But that installation (an SLS) has long since been erased.

If anyone has an MGC monitor that X works on, or has any other ideas,
please email me.

PS.  My computer is a 486/66 VLB, 16MB RAM, 200 + 250 MB IDE HDs,
soundblaster, Aztech CDA 269 01A CD-Rom (I haven't even tried to
configure the CD yet -- that's for another day).
--

        1405 NE 56th Street, Seattle, WA  98105 USA
        H: (206) 522-9627         W: (206) 223-3281

2. Config sendmail.cf for MX record?

3. Help 'tuning' w/ ConfigXF86 & TVGA8900C

4. Trying to get information from a core file without -g compile option

5. Still can't get ConfigXF86 to work.

6. Abnormal characters would appear in Netscape input field

7. Can't find ConfigXF86

8. Stopping cron mailing to root

9. ConfigXF86 & Packard Bell's

10. ConfigXF86 does not work correctly, can't run X.

11. ConfigXF86 doesn't have my card - what next?

12. ConfigXF86 doesn't tune (Slackware 2.1.0)

13. X newbie's ConfigXF86 problems....(long)