tar > 2gb

Post by Thorsten G?llne » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
partition.

Thorsten

tar > 2gb

Post by kev » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
> partition.

I believe Linux has a 2Gb filesize limit?

- Kev

Quote:

> Thorsten

tar > 2gb

Post by ger » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
> > partition.

> I believe Linux has a 2Gb filesize limit?

On what planet? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Thorsten, are you tar'ing to tape?  If so, what arguments have you passed,
what kind of device is it, etc.?

Quote:

> > Thorsten

Regards, Ger.

tar > 2gb

Post by Thorsten G?llne » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am taring to a harddisk / file.
tar cfzv /backup.tmp/backup_okesvr1.tgz /bin /boot /etc /home /lib ...

Thorsten

> > > why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
> > > partition.
> > I believe Linux has a 2Gb filesize limit?
> On what planet? Sorry, couldn't resist :)
> Thorsten, are you tar'ing to tape?  If so, what arguments have you passed,
> what kind of device is it, etc.?

tar > 2gb

Post by Robert Koma » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: I am taring to a harddisk / file.
: tar cfzv /backup.tmp/backup_okesvr1.tgz /bin /boot /etc /home /lib ...

You reached the 2 GB file size limit (unless you're on a 64 bit machine
like an Alpha or Sparc64).  Splitting your backup into two or more files
would work.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

: Thorsten

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
> > partition.
> I believe Linux has a 2Gb filesize limit?

Apparently this is not so much a linux issue as a filesystem
issue on 32-bit PC's.

--

tar > 2gb

Post by Christopher Brow » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:42:43 +0200, Thorsten G?llner

>why does tar abort when the filesize is at 2gb? I want to tar a whole
>partition.

At present, the combination of [ext2 , glibc, normally-compiled apps]
only support filesizes up to 2GB on 32 bit architectures such as
IA-32.

There is a "large file API" that arose from the LFS "Large File
Summit;" you must recompile all applications that you wish to use this
API.  In many cases, you will have to rewrite the apps to use LFS
calls.
--
"I once witnessed  a long-winded, month-long flamewar over  the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly." -- Matt Welsh

1. tar > 2GB file

I have a HPUX 11.0, that hold a database on it. I want to tar and compress
the backup and send it to a offline backup storage. I get an error...
tar: Size of mydb/db4/hist_01.dbf > 2GB.  Not dumped.

This is because of the tar I am using? Or the OS that I am using?
Will getting GNUtar fix this problem?

Thanks

2. How to set up local news group?

3. tar to tape >2GB

4. X server crashing

5. Get >>> 1GB / 2GB <<<< USB Flash Memory Drive

6. i compiled kernel 1.2.5

7. Star Office Problems

8. What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

9. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?

10. SCSI tape & tar >>>

11. When you need more SPACE << 2GB / 1GB >>