ip masq problems on 2.2.15 kernel

Post by todds.. » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:16:21

Hi.

I'm having problems getting IP MASQ to work (acutally I can't even get
the two comptuers to talk to each other).

In the linux machine I have a two ethernet cards.  One is a Linksys
running the DEC Tulip driver and is connected to a cable modem
(everything is a-ok on that connection).

The other is a 3com etherlink iii.  I have it's ip address set to
192.162.0.3.

This is connected to a hub, to which a Win98 machine running the same
exact 3com card is connected.  The connection lights on both ehternet
cards as well as on the hub are all lit, yet I can't ping either machine
with the other machine. When I run route I get the following output:

192.168.0.0     *       255.255.255.0 U 0 0 eth1

Both machines can ping themselves fine.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Todd

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Tauno Voipi » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:14:51

> Hi.

> I'm having problems getting IP MASQ to work (acutally I can't even get
> the two comptuers to talk to each other).

> In the linux machine I have a two ethernet cards.  One is a Linksys
> running the DEC Tulip driver and is connected to a cable modem
> (everything is a-ok on that connection).

> The other is a 3com etherlink iii.  I have it's ip address set to
> 192.162.0.3.

> This is connected to a hub, to which a Win98 machine running the same
> exact 3com card is connected.  The connection lights on both ehternet
> cards as well as on the hub are all lit, yet I can't ping either machine
> with the other machine. When I run route I get the following output:

> 192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 eth1

> Both machines can ping themselves fine.

> Is there something I'm overlooking?

So far so good...

Pinging an own IP address does not say anything of the interface card
functionality: the internal IP stack is smart enough to loop back internally
all packets sent to self.

What is the IP address of the Windows computer (should be 192.168.0.x, where
x = 1 or 2 or 4 to 254)?

What does ifconfig eth0 report?

Tauno Voipio

1. Feedback on 2.2.15 (wasRe: Kernel Stable: 2.2.15pre4 )

I've been trying the 2.2.15 prereleases, and so far they seem great.
2.2.15 pre 4 (subjectively speaking) made my system much zippier
than 2.2.13/4 and 2.2.15 pre 5 which I built last night, feels
faster still (and apparently has some rather neat debug code to
trap bad application memory use/kernel bugs).

So overall I'm very pleased. Many thanks to Alan and the guys who've
been working on the VM stuff. It feels great for me.

BTW I'm running this on Mandrake 6.1, Cyrix 6x86 MX 300, 64MB RAM.

Like I say, 2.2.15 feels like it's shaping up to be the best 2.2 kernel
yet by a significant margin (to me at least!)
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. unzip 5.11 released by Info-zip

3. ICQ problems with IP Masq Debian 2.2.15

4. Problems whit Redhat 6.2 installation

5. G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

6. mkkickstart for FreeBSD?

7. Kernel 2.2.15 Problem

8. 2.4.4-pre3 keyboard/mouse support

9. ISA NE2000 Clone + 2.2.15 SMP Kernel Problems

10. 2.2.15 kernel compile problem?

11. Problem with workman under kernel 2.2.15

12. Kernel compiling (2.2.15pre19)

13. Turtle Beach Montego to work in kernel 2.2.15-16?