Newbie: sndconfig wiped out my modem

Post by Dale Winter » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:13:09

Howdy gang;
I used sndconfig to setup my ess1868 sound card on mandrake 7.2 but it
stopped my modem from working.I've figured out the problem is it uses
the same int. [5] as my modem so when i try to go online I get an error
msg. saying the modem is busy !
I would like the card to be set on int 10. How do I do this? TIA,Dale

--
Stay open-minded, inquisitive, courageous, just, and compassionate,
.........and you've done a hard day's work.

Newbie: sndconfig wiped out my modem

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:03:12

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:13:09 -0400, Dale Winters staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I used sndconfig to setup my ess1868 sound card on mandrake 7.2 but it
>stopped my modem from working.I've figured out the problem is it uses
>the same int. [5] as my modem so when i try to go online I get an error
>msg. saying the modem is busy !
>I would like the card to be set on int 10. How do I do this? TIA,Dale

If this is an ISA sound card, it will probably be impossible to get it
to use a different IRQ.  ISA sound cards are notorious for being
impossible to configure in that respect, and ISA hardware in general
doesn't share IRQs.  If you want to use the sound card, you should leave
its resources alone.

ISA modems, OTOH, are more amenable to configuration.  A lot of ISA Real
Modems have jumpers that allow you to set the IRQ, so if you are lucky
enough for this to be the case, set the modem's IRQ to something other
than 5.  Serial hardware can often share IRQs, so you might be able to
set the thing to IRQ 4.  If not, try IRQ 7; you can after all use
polling mode for any printer you have connected....

If the modem is a PCI model, you may have to go into the BIOS Setup
program and reserve IRQ 5 for "Legacy ISA" equipment.  The modem should
then automagically pick up an IRQ that's different from #5.

If the modem is an ISA model without jumpers (plug-n-pray), then things
could be difficult.  There are often DOS programs that can set the
preferred IRQ of these modems, or you can mess with isapnp.conf.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Newbie: sndconfig wiped out my modem

Post by s » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:49:42

In addition to the fine explanation from D w/ Crows,  there may be an
easier way to get that modem back into service.  Reboot your computer.  If
you have an isa modem, look in your isapnp.conf file.  Sndconfig will have
assigned your isa modem an irq and i/o ports when it did the same for your
snd card.  Just write down what they are (the lines without #'s).  Then in
your terminal as root type:
setserial /dev/ttyS? uart 16550A port <whatever> irq <whatever>
where ? = your comport  and <whatever> = is whatever yours is.
example:  setserial /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xc000 irq 10 spd_vhi
then give it a try.
If it's pci, then do:  cat /proc/pci and look for the same info and type
the same setserial command.
If there is indeed a conflict, then put some some of DwC advise into play.
But there really shouldn't be.  (Another way is to upgrade the kernel to
any 2.4.x version.  It handles all this stuff automagically.)

If it works, put that setserial command at the bottom of your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file so it will be configure upon each boot.
-s

> Howdy gang;
> I used sndconfig to setup my ess1868 sound card on mandrake 7.2 but it
> stopped my modem from working.I've figured out the problem is it uses
> the same int. [5] as my modem so when i try to go online I get an error
> msg. saying the modem is busy !
> I would like the card to be set on int 10. How do I do this? TIA,Dale

> --
> Stay open-minded, inquisitive, courageous, just, and compassionate,
> .........and you've done a hard day's work.

Newbie: sndconfig wiped out my modem

Post by Rinaldi J. Montes » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:00:59

<major chomp>

Quote:> If the modem is an ISA model without jumpers (plug-n-pray), then things
> could be difficult.  There are often DOS programs that can set the
> preferred IRQ of these modems, or you can mess with isapnp.conf.

Wouldn't setserial be of assistance here?

Rinaldi
--
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
--Linus Torvalds

Post by Bob Marti » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:18:31

> Howdy gang;
> I used sndconfig to setup my ess1868 sound card on mandrake 7.2 but it
> stopped my modem from working.I've figured out the problem is it uses
> the same int. [5] as my modem so when i try to go online I get an error
> msg. saying the modem is busy !
> I would like the card to be set on int 10. How do I do this? TIA,Dale

> --
> Stay open-minded, inquisitive, courageous, just, and compassionate,
> .........and you've done a hard day's work.

If the modem has jumpers then set the jumpers for another IRQ, if it is
plug-n-pray use the isapnp tool to configure it for another IRQ. For sound cards
IRQ 5 is the traditional value.
--

Bob Martin

1. Modem lock outs

Hi,

I've run into a bad problem using tty2A for dial-in.
Basically everything works fine (modem answers,
connection is fine) unless you get disconnect
while running an application.  When this occurs,
the modem will not answer and the only way to get
back in is to have someone on the remote end kill
all your processes on tty2A to send it back to the
getty state.  Line drops are due to bad long distance
connections.  Is there an option we can use that
will allow you to reconnect and continue your
application (process) as if nothing had happened?

We're using SCO OpenServer 5 and have tried 3
different modems with similar results.

Would tty2a be more appropriate?  We have used the
terminal flavor before with good results however
we were using a Digiboard port for the modem which
in hindsight, didn't seem to behave like a native
COM port.

When we've tried using tty2a, the modem will not
answer at all.

Lastly, we're working with default settings for
everything (gettydefs, Devices, inittab, etc) and
we believe (hope) all our modem settings are correct.

What would -HUPCL do for us?  I know it prevents
hangups on the last exit but is that all it does?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeff Bain

2. xserver config under solaris 5.6

3. newbies & modems, modems & newbies

4. NFS bug?

5. Modem cable pin-outs

6. how do I use a modem with Linux??

7. Newbie wiped out partition on new WD 40GB drive --a little help please

8. PLEASE HELP ME SET UP A MODEM IN DEBIAN LINUX

9. Trying to use sndconfig ruins my modem! HELP!

10. Ran sndconfig, lost modem

11. sndconfig 'stealing' modem IRQ(?)

12. sndconfig, AWE64 and PnP modems

13. sndconfig screwed up my modem