SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Kendall Benne » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Dear Internet Community,

WHAT IS THE SCITECH MGL GRAPHICS LIBRARY?
The SciTech MGL Graphics Library is a full featured 32 bit graphics
library for high performance graphics programming on personal computers.
It provides fast, low level rasterization of 2D and 3D primitives, that
can be used for computer games, user interface software and other real-
time graphics applications. SciTech MGL fully supports all graphics
resolutions from 320x200 right up to 1600x1200, with any pixel depth from
4 bits per pixel up to 32 bits per pixel.

SciTech MGL currently supports development under both DOS and Windows.
When running under Windows, SciTech MGL can be used for rendering in a
windowed environment under Windows 95 and Windows NT. SciTech MGL will
use CreateDIBSection with support for all color depths from 8 bits to 32
bits per pixel when rendering to a window under Windows 95 and Windows
NT.

SciTech MGL for Windows can also support full screen graphics under
Windows 95 using the provided WinDirect libraries, or by using
Microsoft's DirectX technology. WinDirect provides high performance, full
screen graphics in any supported video mode independent of the current
GDI graphics mode.

Although the SciTech MGL does not officially support non-DOS and non-
Windows operating systems yet, the code is fully portable (it has been
ported to the Dec Alpha running Windows NT) and can be compiled as 'C-
only' with a simple #define NO_ASSEMBLER. If you are interested in
porting the SciTech MGL graphics library to other operating systems and
platforms, log onto our scitech.mgl.developer newsgroup at
news.scitechsoft.com and join in the development effort.

ABOUT THE NEW RELEASE
The SciTech MGL 4.03 release has just been uploaded to our ftp site
and is now ready for downloading. The following is the list of
changes in the MGL 4.03 release (in no particular order):

Fixed some bugs in the MGL libraries related to VBE/AF 2.0
  acceleration.
Fixed some other minor bugs in the MGL libraries.
Removed Delphi DCU files, and replaced with .PAS source modules
  for Delphi 3.0 support.
Fixed some problems with the install programs for certain
  configurations.
Added .ZIP archives of base and source installs for non Windows
  OS support.
Added HTML documentation to web site and in a ZIP file for non
  Windows OS developers.

We still do not have working DJGPP 2.01 libraries yet, and we have
tracked down the problems to the OBJ2BFD object file converter for
the Intel assembler code modules. Some developers are currently
looking into this, but if you develop with DJGPP and are interested
in helping solve this problem, download the source archives and take
a look.

NEW HTML DOCUMENTATION
We have now converted all the MGL reference manual (not
the programmers guide) documentation to HTML format, and have
uploaded a ZIP file containing the HTML documentation to our ftp
site. We will probably have them fully integrated into our main web
page sometime later next week, but in the meantime we have also made
the HTML docs available on our web page via the following two URL's:

 http://www.scitechsoft.com/mglref/funcref.html
 http://www.scitechsoft.com/mglref/dataref.html

Funcref.html is the Function Reference index and the dataref.html is
the Data Structure reference index.

For the Programmer's Guide we could print it to PostScript format for
non-Windows OS developers if that would be an acceptable format
(email me and let me know).

WHERE TO GET IT?
You can download the MGL 4.03 release archives from:

 ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel

The directory contains a number of different installation archives
that you can download depending on whether you want the source code
and which compiler you are using.

MGLB403.EXE
   Base install archive. You will want this.

MGLF40.EXE
   Font and sample program data files install archive. Has not
   changed from the MGL 4.0 release.

MGLS403.EXE
   Source code install archive. You will want this if you plan to
   recompile the MGL.

MD40BC50.EXE  - Borland C++ 5.0 for DOS
MD40WC11.EXE  - Watcom C++ 11.0 for DOS
MW40BC45.EXE  - Borland C++ 4.5 for Windows
MW40BC50.EXE  - Borland C++ 5.0 for Windows
MW40VC42.EXE  - Visual C++ 4.2 for Windows
MW40VC50.EXE  - Visual C++ 5.0 for Windows
MW40WC11.EXE  - Watcom C++ 11.0 for Windows
MW40DP20.EXE  - Delphi 2.0/3.0 for Windows
    All of the C libraries have been re-built, so you will want to
    download the appropriate installs for your compilers.

Non-Windows install archives:

MGLB403.ZIP       - Base install in ZIP format
MGLF40.ZIP        - Font/data install in ZIP format
MGLS403.ZIP       - Source install in ZIP format
MGLDOC40-HTML.ZIP - HTML documentation in ZIP format

Regards,

|      SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!         |

| Director of Engineering         | Phone: (916) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.          | Fax  : (916) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street                 | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA            | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |

Post by Osma Ahvenlamp » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> WHAT IS THE SCITECH MGL GRAPHICS LIBRARY?
> The SciTech MGL Graphics Library is a full featured 32 bit graphics
> library for high performance graphics programming on personal computers.
> It provides fast, low level rasterization of 2D and 3D primitives, that

Is it just me, or is the licensing information missing both from the
announcement and the web site? Am I to understand that the library is
to be used freely? If so, great, but in any case, it would be useful
to mention the fact.

--
Death to the fascist insects who suck the * of the people!
Osma Ahvenlampi work: <oa (at) spray (dot) fi> home: <oa (at) iki (dot) fi>

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by M.D. Spence » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

MGL is NOT free.  It is a commercial quality package, etc, etc (see below
for what it is).  Though I have not had occassion to use it yet, I do have
it.  They used it (or a derivative, not exactly sure) to create the ever
so popular WinQuake.

Also, I give it up to them since they support Cal State University Chico!
Thank you SciTech.  :-)

> > WHAT IS THE SCITECH MGL GRAPHICS LIBRARY?
> > The SciTech MGL Graphics Library is a full featured 32 bit graphics
> > library for high performance graphics programming on personal computers.
> > It provides fast, low level rasterization of 2D and 3D primitives, that

> Is it just me, or is the licensing information missing both from the
> announcement and the web site? Am I to understand that the library is
> to be used freely? If so, great, but in any case, it would be useful
> to mention the fact.

> --
> Death to the fascist insects who suck the * of the people!
> Osma Ahvenlampi work: <oa (at) spray (dot) fi> home: <oa (at) iki (dot) fi>

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Rod McLe » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:54:59 -0700, "M.D. Spencer"

>MGL is NOT free.  It is a commercial quality package, etc, etc (see below
>for what it is).  Though I have not had occassion to use it yet, I do have
>it.  They used it (or a derivative, not exactly sure) to create the ever
>so popular WinQuake.

"Free" and "commercial quality" are not mutually exclusive.

Since the release of V4 a couple of weeks ago, MGL IS free. To quote
from the release notes ( complete with the original spelling ).

%"Yes! SciTech MGL really is free, with full source code!

%After thinking long and hard about the development of the MGL
%libraries, we realised there were lots and lots of things that could be
%done with the MGL that SciTech Software simply does not have the
%bandwidth or desire to develop internally. This includes ports to other
%operating systems like the Macintosh, OS/2, Rhapsody and Linux, support
%for portrait display modes, printing support, ehanced blitting support
%and much more. In an effort to make SciTech MGL better for everyone, we
%decided to release the full source code under a new Public License to
%the internet development community at large. It is our hope that
%developers on the internet will seize this opportunity to begin
%developing with a solid, commerical graphics library and expand it
%beyond the horizons that we had originally envisioned."

Rod McLeod
Century Data Systems.
Speaking for himself.

Post by William Adam » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Dear Internet Community,

>WHAT IS THE SCITECH MGL GRAPHICS LIBRARY?
>The SciTech MGL Graphics Library is a full featured 32 bit graphics
>library for high performance graphics programming on personal computers.
>It provides fast, low level rasterization of 2D and 3D primitives, that
>can be used for computer games, user interface software and other real-
>time graphics applications. SciTech MGL fully supports all graphics
>resolutions from 320x200 right up to 1600x1200, with any pixel depth from
>4 bits per pixel up to 32 bits per pixel.

I'm sorry if I've missed something.  But is someone doing a port to the BeOS
and this is why this is showing up here?  I'm downloading it to take a look
at how it might be a good thing to run in a BWindowScreen, but if someone is
already doing the work, I'll just sit back and suck the fat.

-- William Adams

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Chris Marriot » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm sorry if I've missed something.  But is someone doing a port to the BeOS
>and this is why this is showing up here?  I'm downloading it to take a look
>at how it might be a good thing to run in a BWindowScreen, but if someone is
>already doing the work, I'll just sit back and suck the fat.

Forgive my doubtless apalling ignorance, but what is "BeOS"? I thought I
was familiar with most operating systems in use today, but that's a new
one on me!

Chris

Chris Marriott, Microsoft Certified Solution Developer.

Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Paul Breitzman » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Forgive my doubtless apalling ignorance, but what is "BeOS"? I thought I
> was familiar with most operating systems in use today, but that's a new
> one on me!

What is the BeOS? ... Wicked Cool.  Check out  http://www.be.com  , and browse
around under products.  You should find a very thorough description there.

Paul

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Kristopher Johnso » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

No, Apple's new operating system is "Rhapsody".  BeOS is Be's operating
system; see http://www.be.com.

Kristopher Johnson, Systems Engineer
TransCore, An SAIC Company
Phone: 770-447-6831     Fax: 770-449-7268

Quote:> BeOS is the new Macintosh operating system. Supposedly a UNIX port

Post by Osma Ahvenlamp » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >I'm sorry if I've missed something.  But is someone doing a port to the BeOS
> >and this is why this is showing up here?  I'm downloading it to take a look
> >at how it might be a good thing to run in a BWindowScreen, but if someone is
> >already doing the work, I'll just sit back and suck the fat.

I don't think anyone is, William, but it does seem like a pretty good
library.. Having it might make porting a lot of new games easier.

> Forgive my doubtless apalling ignorance, but what is "BeOS"? I thought I
> was familiar with most operating systems in use today, but that's a new
> one on me!

BeOS is the operating system made by Be, Inc (www.be.com), originally
(7 years ago) for a dual-processor AT&T Hobbit custom built machine,
then (released to developers 2 years ago) to a dual-PowerPC custom
(but mostly-PReP) machine, then ported to the PowerMacs, and now a
port of the OS to the Intel platform is under way. It's a pretty cool
lightweight SMP OS that runs nicely even on a slow PPC603 and 8MB of
memory.. Of course, it really kicks ass on a multi-PPC604 with lots of
mem, and has been demonstrated on a dual-PentiumII machine as well.

Check it out at www.be.com

--
To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.
Osma Ahvenlampi work: <oa (at) spray (dot) fi> home: <oa (at) iki (dot) fi>

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Osma Ahvenlamp » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Followups to comp.sys.be.misc - this doesn't have to be in all these
programming groups. If you're interested, subscribe to the Be group.]

> >BeOS is the operating system made by Be, Inc (www.be.com), originally
> Thank you for the information - it sounds interesting. Is it really
> worth developing commercial applications for, though? Does it have a
> sufficient market share to make the proposition viable?

Well, at the moment there are some 5000 registered developers I think,
so some people consider it worthwile. Be is currently seeding the
userbase by distributing the first public release on Mac magazine
cover-CDs, and I'd expect the first PC version would get the same
treatment. No, there isn't much of a userbase right now, but a few
tens of thousands of curious people have it installed as the second OS
on their Macs (and most of them, based on the newsgroups, are
impressed but would like to see some more apps).

Of course, "is it worth it" is a relative question. BeOS is quite easy
and pretty fun to develop on, and even porting things is fairly
painless, which is all it takes for some people. There are a few
commercial developers, some working on BeOS only. If you go to the Be
web site (www.be.com), you'll find links to many of those on the front
page, press releases, and in the user support section. For a BeOS
program released now, sales probably would stay in the low thousands
even for the best possible result, but it might well be a better
option than MacOS or OS/2 for the future. That's not much compared to
NT sales, naturally, but (fortunately) there is life outside of the
mainstream as well.

--
Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.
Osma Ahvenlampi work: <oa (at) spray (dot) fi> home: <oa (at) iki (dot) fi>

SciTech MGL 4.03 released; new HTML docs and ZIP archives!

Post by Chris Marriot » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Thank you for the information - it sounds interesting. Is it really
>worth developing commercial applications for, though? Does it have a
>sufficient market share to make the proposition viable?

>Chris

I wrote this message weeks ago. Something seems to be reposting old
messages! No need to answer.

Thanks,