i want to install a linux paration on to my ZIP

i want to install a linux paration on to my ZIP

Post by mbo.. » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

hello i have a parellel port version of the Imoega Zip drive and i want to
install Linux onto it...can someone tellme some advice on doing this.

--
----

Check out http://www.torque.net/zip.html

Post by Geoffrey Myer » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> hello i have a parellel port version of the Imoega Zip drive and i want to
> install Linux onto it...can someone tellme some advice on doing this.

I don't believe you can boot from the ZIP.  You can create a partition
on it
though.  You will want to look at the SCSI howtos and there is, I
believe a
ZIP howto.  I'll send you some docs under separate mail since this going
the newsgroup.

Quote:

--
Until later:

        Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....

i want to install a linux paration on to my ZIP

Post by Evan Jeffr » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: >
:
: I don't believe you can boot from the ZIP.  You can create a partition
: on it
: though.  You will want to look at the SCSI howtos and there is, I
: believe a
: ZIP howto.  I'll send you some docs under separate mail since this going
: the newsgroup.

You cant boot from a ZIP per se, but you can boot a kernel from another
device that has the ZIP as its root fs.

Evan Jeffrey

Post by Adam Morr » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: I don't believe you can boot from the ZIP.  You can create a partition
>You cant boot from a ZIP per se, but you can boot a kernel from another
>device that has the ZIP as its root fs.

All correct so far...ISH

if you have a SCSI zip drive and your scsi adapter allows you to boot from
scsi devices then you can boot from a zip disk...

If you are using a parallel port zip drive, then you can compile a kernel with
ppa3 support, boot from that and automatically mount a root from the zip
drive...

I have a 1.2.13 kernel on a single floppy that has root as a zip drive...

It works for me... :-)

Adam

1. Wanted: Flight sim 5.1 - fs51_1.zip (1/1) - fs51_1.zip (0/1)

You fucking asshole.  Not bad enough that you have to post pirated
software, but you didn't even have the decency to post to a binaries
newsgroup.  The postmaster at your site has been informed about your
illegal activity and I look forward to seeing your internet access yanked.

2. System_calls

3. Installed ZIP but now all file names on my zip disk are in 8.3 DOS??????

4. rtfm on open firmware?

5. Zip Plus and Zip Zoom install problems...

6. Please Help with LDAP trouble

7. Installing Linux from Iomega Zip drive with copy of Linux off CD-ROM

8. IO Ports and GUI

9. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive

10. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

11. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)