Linux on a third hd

Post by Patrick Schreu » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 23:11:56

Hello there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install Linux on a third hd?
If it is possible, please tell me how.

Thanks,
Patrick Schreurs.

Linux on a third hd

Post by Wolfgang Kaltho » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 01:34:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if it is possible to install Linux on a third hd?
>If it is possible, please tell me how.

If you're able to access the drive, it should work off the fly.
I installed on sdc2 without any problems.

good luck
Wolfgang
--

Gustav-Meyer-Allee 1 | N ixdorf             |
D-13355 Berlin       | I nformation Systems | Tel: +49-30-4673-2951 Fax: 2915

Linux on a third hd

Post by Raymond L. T » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 03:44:11

   >Does anyone know if it is possible to install Linux on a third hd?
   >If it is possible, please tell me how.

   If you're able to access the drive, it should work off the fly.
   I installed on sdc2 without any problems.

I've done this too, and it works fine.  If you are using LILO, just be
sure LILO is installed to boot off of the first drive.

Ray

--

Toy -----> GE CR&D, KW-C407, 0x6270

Linux on a third hd

Post by Name withheld by reque » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 01:37:34

>Does anyone know if it is possible to install Linux on a third hd?
>If it is possible, please tell me how.

YES, it is possible. I have installed SLS 1.03 on my second IDE,
Slackware1.1.2 on my SCSI (third) hd. They works well.
>Thanks,
>Patrick Schreurs.

Linux on a third hd

Post by Scott A. Merc » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 18:23:22

: Does anyone know if it is possible to install Linux on a third hd?
: If it is possible, please tell me how.

Patrick,
  If you run the OS/2 or WindowsNT boot manager(s), you will be able to
access (and most likely boot from) any attached HDD.

Scott A. Mercer       "Wise man say: Neutrinos are into Physicists"

Scott A. Mercer       "Wise man say: Neutrinos are into Physicists"

Linux on a third hd

Post by Quic » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 21:24:48

of the replies are about adding SCSI drives. The ROM BIOS in a PC only handles
one hard disc controller of the IDE/MFM/RLL type. There is a standard
address for a secondary controller and many controllers can be jumpered to
this. MSDOS offers 3disks or (registered) 4disks as a device driver for a
secondary controller. On Linux I have found patches called 'atdisk2...' but
they are patches against later revisions of the kernel than I have. After
making these patches, you should be able to find secondary controller disks
and mount them as normal. I doubt you could actually boot directly onto
a secondary disk as the ROM BIOS doesn't know about it. I don't know if
LILO knows about them - anybody else know?
        boggle

1. Can Linux be installed on the third HD ?

I remember reading that due to a BIOS limitation the boot sectors
of whatever opsys must reside either on the first or the second HD,
when they are IDE.
So, let me understand a bit better :
I want (must) install Linux RH 7.1 on a dedicated HD, the third on
this machine. I tried putting LILO on the boot sector of the /boot
partition on this disk (at the front of the disk), and got the LI hang.
The second HD is data only, no opsys on it.
Can I place LILO on the boot sector of the first data partition on
this second HD, and from there boot the vmlinuz from the /root
partition on the third HD ?

Why on earth that silly BIOS limitation ?

TNX for any reply

Grok

2. External HD connected to parallel port.

3. Has anyone gotten OS/2 BootManager to boot Linux off third EIDE HD?

4. Monitor settings for Dell UltraScan 15FS-EN

5. Linux on a third hd

6. Boot program

7. Adding third HD to decstation 2100 netbsd....

8. IP adress

9. Lilo on large third HD.

10. Adding a third HD

11. /dev/hdc for third HD needed!

12. cdrom unrecognized after third HD installed on RH 6.0

13. [Fwd: cdrom unrecognized after third HD installed on RH 6.0]