A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Michel Catuda » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I burned a CD and installed Corel Linux on the 2nd drive.

It worked out OK as for the install is concerned but I came to a schock when I
realized that the install would never ask me how I want it to boot. It turns
out that it installed it's own boot on the MBR I would think and to go to OS/2
I have to go to a tedious process. My boot manager works well, I don't need some
graphic junk boot loader.

I would need to restore sanity to my PC and still be able to use Corel Linux.

Anyone know the structure of Corel Linux? meaning the files where I have to do the
cleanup, how I switch it to boot to the console instead of that ridiculous graphic boot
like one can accidentally install under RedHat or SuSE.
It also installed a lot of usseless garbage like pmcia (On a desktop????)
and some communication stuff that I don't use. It turns out that the boot is as long
as that of NT. I'm sure the winblows users will find themselves right at home here.
My PC isn't hooked up to anything for the moment. I do have an ethernet card for future
use.

My system has Winblows 98 and OS/2 (E:) on the first drive (8.4G)
On the second drive (14G) I have 3G for Corel Linux and the rest for SuSE Linux.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Danie » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem, so what I did was removed part of lilo, it is in the
man page.  I *think* it was lilo -d  and then when boot manager came up, if I
choose corel, I would have to type linux in at a prompt to boot linux, then
corel would continue to load, but hell better than having no os/2 boot
manager.
It is the part in the man page about returning the MBR to the last known
thing, kinda like a undelete!
g-luck
Daniel

Quote:>I burned a CD and installed Corel Linux on the 2nd drive.

Post by John Hasle » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Michel Catudal writes:
> I would need to restore sanity to my PC and still be able to use Corel
> Linux.  Anyone know the structure of Corel Linux? meaning the files where
> I have to do the cleanup, how I switch it to boot to the console instead
> of that ridiculous graphic boot like one can accidentally install under
> RedHat or SuSE.

Why don't you just install Debian?  It doesn't sound like you want any of
Corel's "improvements" anyway.  Just get the real thing.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Michel Catuda » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Michel Catudal writes:
> > I would need to restore sanity to my PC and still be able to use Corel
> > Linux.  Anyone know the structure of Corel Linux? meaning the files where
> > I have to do the cleanup, how I switch it to boot to the console instead
> > of that ridiculous graphic boot like one can accidentally install under
> > RedHat or SuSE.

> Why don't you just install Debian?  It doesn't sound like you want any of
> Corel's "improvements" anyway.  Just get the real thing.

Screwing up the boot process and lack of support of French can't be considered
improvements. I will import some stuff I got on SuSE to get the keyboard to
work correctly once I figure out the differences with SuSE. The setup of SuSE is
different.
There are a few improvement on the graphic mode in Corel.

--

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > I would need to restore sanity to my PC and still be able to use Corel Linux.

> > Anyone know the structure of Corel Linux? meaning the files where I have to do the
> > cleanup, how I switch it to boot to the console instead of that ridiculous graphic boot
> > like one can accidentally install under RedHat or SuSE.

> First off, Corel Linux is based on Debian GNU/Linux.

> On my Debian 2.1 system, the default runlevel is 2:

> In /etc/inittab:

> # The default runlevel.
> id:2:initdefault:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> From what I've read (I don't run X), for a graphical login the
> default runlevel is 3. Switching the default runlevel to 2 should
> put you at a console login.

This is what I got in /etc/inittab
and it boots in the graphic mode.

on /etc/kbd I found a default.map.gz which I replaced with my French Canadian keyboard file.
This shouls fix the keyboard bug (use of the US keyboard layout), it's a royal pain to have
to try to remember the layout of a different keyboard. At least the US keyboard is closer to
the Azerty keyboard that SuSE insist on using during install. Whoever invented that stupid
Azerty keyboard should be shot.

Quote:> > It also installed a lot of usseless garbage like pmcia (On a desktop????)

> Hmmm, Debian asks after the base system is installed if you want to
> remove the PMCIAWhatever package if it looks like you don't need it.

I was given no option for fixing on boot.

Quote:> > and some communication stuff that I don't use. It turns out that the boot is as long
> > as that of NT. I'm sure the winblows users will find themselves right at home here.

> When booting my system, the most time consuming part is the CD-ROM driver.
> But, I've also rebuilt my kernel with only required drivers etc so
> it could just be looking for a lot of hardware that doesn't exist.

I got it to boot in it's expert mode and I was able to see where it get stalled
during reboot. It seems to try to connect to some ghost computers. My PC with NT
at works does the exact same thing when I move the PC in the garage with no connection
to the local network.

Quote:> > My PC isn't hooked up to anything for the moment. I do have an ethernet card for future
> > use.

> Could detection of you ethernet card cause a prolonged boot? I don't know.

Whow knows! I have a Realtek card, plug and pray stuff.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I had the same problem, so what I did was removed part of lilo, it is in the
> man page.  I *think* it was lilo -d  and then when boot manager came up, if I
> choose corel, I would have to type linux in at a prompt to boot linux, then
> corel would continue to load, but hell better than having no os/2 boot
> manager.
> It is the part in the man page about returning the MBR to the last known
> thing, kinda like a undelete!
> g-luck
> Daniel

I'll check that, thanks

When I choose hda1 on that graphic boot it brings in the OS/2 boot manager.
So to boot SuSE I have to choose hda1 on the menu then SuSE on the boot manage menu.
It then brings in Lilo.

--

Post by Alex Tayl » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I burned a CD and installed Corel Linux on the 2nd drive.

> It worked out OK as for the install is concerned but I came to a schock when I
> realized that the install would never ask me how I want it to boot. It turns
> out that it installed it's own boot on the MBR I would think and to go to OS/2
> I have to go to a tedious process. My boot manager works well, I don't need some
> graphic junk boot loader.

I had more or less this exact same problem.  It's not too hard to fix, as
long as you do the steps in the correct order.  See below.

Quote:> I would need to restore sanity to my PC and still be able to use Corel Linux.

> Anyone know the structure of Corel Linux? meaning the files where I have to do the
> cleanup, how I switch it to boot to the console instead of that ridiculous graphic boot
> like one can accidentally install under RedHat or SuSE.

Assuming that you use OS/2 Boot Manager normally...

Step 1 - Reinstall LILO as a secondary loader

Corel's boot loader is LILO, they've just added a fancy splash screen.
What you need to do is edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the line
    boot=/dev/hda
    boot=/dev/<name of Corel Linux partition, e.g. hdb2>

(If you have SCSI, substitute "sda" for "hda", of course...)

YMMV, but you may also need to ditch the "compact" statement, and maybe
add "linear" as well.

To get rid of the splash screen, I _think_ you just need to get rid of the
"message" line.

Re-run 'lilo -v'.

You may want to create a boot floppy at this point, in case Step 3 doesn't
work.

Step 2 - Remove LILO from the primary boot sequence

Boot into OS/2.  Go to a command prompt, and type
    FDISK /NEWMBR

Step 3 - Add the Corel Linux partition to Boot Manager

This is the problematic one.  Boot Manager tends to *on partition
tables created or modified with Linux fdisk.  Try to add the Corel
partition to Boot Manager from OS/2 FDISK.

I had to use the version of FDISK.COM from OS/2 2.1, the Warp version said
I couldn't do anything except delete it.  (If you need it, email me.)

Quote:> It also installed a lot of usseless garbage like pmcia (On a desktop????)
> and some communication stuff that I don't use. It turns out that the boot is as long
> as that of NT. I'm sure the winblows users will find themselves right at home here.
> My PC isn't hooked up to anything for the moment. I do have an ethernet card for future
> use.

Well, they have to include all sorts of device drivers to make sure the
kernel boots on any system.  All distros do this (some just delete the
PCMCIA stuff after install).

The standard (and expected) solution is to recompile your kernel.

 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph

> [...]

> I had to use the version of FDISK.COM from OS/2 2.1, the Warp version said
> I couldn't do anything except delete it.  (If you need it, email me.)

> > It also installed a lot of usseless garbage like pmcia (On a desktop????)
> > and some communication stuff that I don't use. It turns out that the boot is as long
> > as that of NT. I'm sure the winblows users will find themselves right at home here.
> > My PC isn't hooked up to anything for the moment. I do have an ethernet card for future
> > use.

> Well, they have to include all sorts of device drivers to make sure the
> kernel boots on any system.  All distros do this (some just delete the
> PCMCIA stuff after install).

> The standard (and expected) solution is to recompile your kernel.

> --
>  Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph

Thank you.
So far I did some of that but not all.
I changed lilo.conf to be quite similar to what I got on SuSE except for the partition
which is hdb2 instead of hdb1 and hdb6. What I didn't do is fdisk /newmbr

When I booted everything seems correct until I went into fdisk to put the partition on
the boot manager. Come to find out that the partitions is seen as corrupted. My next
move was to remove the partition under SuSE and clean it up. I didn't think about this.
I will try this but if that doesn't work I'm not sure at this point, this hard disk is 14G.

It looks to me that Corel screws up big by not allowing to install on an allready formated
partition. I messed up when It formatted the partition that I allocated to it.

I went to partition magic and it doesn't recognize the drive at all. SuSE is the only one
that sees it.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux
> [...]

> Thank you.
> So far I did some of that but not all.
> I changed lilo.conf to be quite similar to what I got on SuSE except for the partition
> which is hdb2 instead of hdb1 and hdb6. What I didn't do is fdisk /newmbr

> When I booted everything seems correct until I went into fdisk to put the partition on
> the boot manager. Come to find out that the partitions is seen as corrupted. My next
> move was to remove the partition under SuSE and clean it up. I didn't think about this.
> I will try this but if that doesn't work I'm not sure at this point, this hard disk is 14G.

> It looks to me that Corel screws up big by not allowing to install on an allready formated
> partition. I messed up when It formatted the partition that I allocated to it.

> I went to partition magic and it doesn't recognize the drive at all. SuSE is the only one

fdisk /newmbr /disk:2 doesn't work, MBR and partition tables messed up and OS/2 isn't
able to repair it.
I have nothing to back my Corel install so I tared all the files except proc and rebooted under
SuSE Linux. I will then delete all the directories except proc hoping that after I delete
the partition that I will be able to recover this space with partition magic. If not there
will be a lot of cursing toward Corel. The only solution will be then to zip all my stuff and
copy over to a winblows partition and burn CDs and reinstall everything after I restore
the sanity of the hard disk with SuSE and partition magic.

Not being able to access that partition with the boot manager I did manage somehow to get
lilo under SuSE to boot it correctly.

As for the bug which force a graphic boot, the runlevel was the correct one for a console boot
but for some mysterious reason Corel saw it fit to override this during boot and force a graphic
boot no matter what. The solution to the bug was to move the kdm script to some junk directory.
The DHCP garbage streching of the boot la winblows was eliminated in the same way. While under
SuSE I moved the offending scripts. When I rebooted on Corel it worked beautifully.
There was also another extremmely annoying bug involving the keyboard. I found out that with
the graphic boot my override of the keyboard with .Xmodmap seems to be largely ignored. With
a console boot it seems to work ok.

An advice to all who are thinking of Corel : Unless Corel is the only thing that you will install
on your PC, wait for a fix to the install bug, assuming that it is likely to come. If the fix
doesn't come, you better ignore Corel unless you are willing to practice your swearing vocabulary.
And just in case your temper could go, hide the shutgun. You must always remember that that poor
PC isn't the culprit but Corel is. Take the winblows proctecting mode shield --> be prepared
for any * up la winblows. This is pushing the winblows ways way to much!
Bad move Corel ...

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Michel Catuda » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks to all who helped despite the fact that none of the advices applied to the problem
at hand. I had to recreate a new partition table and repartition the whole hard disk.
Just think of where you would put close to 8G of data and realize the headaches I went thru.
To say that I was pissed is putting this very mildly. It is lucky that I am a very calm
person.

What exactly happened was that when I installed Corel Linux, the fdiks of Corel Linux and/or
the install blew the partition table. Since all of the 14G hard disk was dedicated to Linux
I didn't realize that there could be a problem of this magnitude. With winblows I would have
expected just about anything.

Going back to when I bought the hard disk, it is an IBM hard disk of about 14.4G which I
got from a store in Cadillac MI. It came allready formatted and partitionned with one
big 8.4G winblows partition with still Win 98 on it. They must have forgotten it on it
or something I thought. I soon realized the reason of the good deal I had, the hard disk
was now an 8.4G hard disk. Neither the bios, dos, OS/2 or SuSE would recognize the real
size. The IBM software was telling me that the bios could not recognize the hard disk
and that I should then install EZ software to recognize the actual sixe of the hard disk.
I knew that my bios could recognize big hard disk so I went to the IBM web site to find
out the actual architecture of the hard disk. There is a web address on the hard disk.
I then proceeded to create a new partition table with Linux's fdisk after I forced the
data in the bios info. When I rebooted partition magic was all contented and I was able
to partition the hard disk the right way. I tested first with the IBM software which told
me that the bios could access the hard disk correctly.

I used to have Win 98 on a 1G primary partition, it crashed much too often so I installed
the Second edition to replace it. Since I put it on the first drive instead there was
room for Corel. I then proceeded to format said partition in ext2. When I went to the Corel
install it refused to install on that partition unless I would first remove it. The buggy
Corel fdisk created another partition and then formatted, it installed without a hitch
and even recognized all my other partitions correctly. It was only after I tried to put the
partition on OS/2 boot manager that I realized what happened. For curiosity I ran the
IBM software which told me that the current drive size was set at 8.4G (the bios said 14.4G)
Both partition magic and Linux fdisk were telling me that someone messed up the partition
table and that there was conflicting information.

Thank you Corel for screwing up my weekend!

I backed up all my data and the Corel partition (tared every directories). I then recreated
the partition table, partitionned, installed SuSE and untarred Corel Linux. I can now run
both using first the boot manager and then using lilo to boot Corel or SuSE.
I'm not sure how I would get the correct boot info for that partition, I'm not about to reuse
that moronic Corel install program. It works ok but it'd be nice to use the boot manager
to go directly to Corel Linux.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.

A few nightmares with Corel Linux, it screwed up the boot process.

Post by Alex Tayl » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > > This is the problematic one.  Boot Manager tends to *on partition
> > > tables created or modified with Linux fdisk.  Try to add the Corel
> > > partition to Boot Manager from OS/2 FDISK.

> > > I had to use the version of FDISK.COM from OS/2 2.1, the Warp version said
> > > I couldn't do anything except delete it.  (If you need it, email me.)

> > Thank you.
> > So far I did some of that but not all.
> > I changed lilo.conf to be quite similar to what I got on SuSE except for the partition
> > which is hdb2 instead of hdb1 and hdb6. What I didn't do is fdisk /newmbr

> > When I booted everything seems correct until I went into fdisk to put the partition on
> > the boot manager. Come to find out that the partitions is seen as corrupted. My next
> > move was to remove the partition under SuSE and clean it up. I didn't think about this.
> > I will try this but if that doesn't work I'm not sure at this point, this hard disk is 14G.

> > It looks to me that Corel screws up big by not allowing to install on an allready formated
> > partition. I messed up when It formatted the partition that I allocated to it.

This is the major problem.  Allowing Linux to create the partition is
basically Russian roulette when it comes to persuading Boot Manager to
accept the drive afterwards.

Quote:> > I went to partition magic and it doesn't recognize the drive at all. SuSE is the only one
> > that sees it.

Maybe because Partition Magic uses the OS/2 tools (Boot Manager, FDISK etc.)?
Whereas SuSE uses the same ones as Corel, probably.

Quote:> fdisk /newmbr /disk:2 doesn't work, MBR and partition tables messed up and OS/2 isn't
> able to repair it.

You don't want to rebuilt the MBR on disk two, just on disk one to remove
LILO.  /NEWMBR doesn't fix the partition table, AFAIK.

This is a problem with all Linux versions.  Linux fdisk does something
screwy to the partition table.  Once it's modified a drive, OS/2 FDISK
wants nothing to do with it anymore (at least, 70-80% of the time).
Sometimes it will actually say the partition table is corrupt - in which
case I've never found a solution - or it will simply refuse to do anything
to existing partitions except delete them.

In the latter case - and, according to some, in the former as well (though
that hasn't been my experience) - the version of FDISK that came with
OS/2 version 2.11 will sometimes work.

Others have said that the newer, alternative Linux fdisk program, called
'cfdisk', writes the partition table properly and does not cause this
problem.  If this is true, then perhaps using cfdisk to re-write the
partition table (from Linux) might fix the problem.

I don't know if Corel or SuSE include cfdisk, I know Debian does.
For that matter, I don't know what fdisk program Corel uses to write
the partitions during install...

Unfortunately, judging by your follow-up message, these recommendations
come too late to save you major inconvenience.

Quote:> There was also another extremmely annoying bug involving the keyboard. I
> found out that with the graphic boot my override of the keyboard with
> .Xmodmap seems to be largely ignored. With a console boot it seems to
> work ok.

I think I've noticed this one, too.  I can't use my keypad arrow-keys,
which annoys me no end.

Quote:> An advice to all who are thinking of Corel : Unless Corel is the only
> thing that you will install on your PC, wait for a fix to the install
> bug, assuming that it is likely to come. If the fix doesn't come, you
> better ignore Corel unless you are willing to practice your swearing
> vocabulary.  And just in case your temper could go, hide the shutgun.
> You must always remember that that poor PC isn't the culprit but Corel
> is. Take the winblows proctecting mode shield --> be prepared for any
> * up la winblows. This is pushing the winblows ways way to much!
> Bad move Corel ...

For a very first release, I still think this is a reasonable effort.
Pity about the non-overridable boot setup.

I'm still playing with my Corel partition, and compiling a list of bugs
that I'll try and send Corel's way.

Post by Michel Catuda » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > > It looks to me that Corel screws up big by not allowing to install on an allready formated
> > > partition. It messed up when It formatted the partition that I allocated to it.

> This is the major problem.  Allowing Linux to create the partition is
> basically Russian roulette when it comes to persuading Boot Manager to
> accept the drive afterwards.

> > > I went to partition magic and it doesn't recognize the drive at all. SuSE is the only one
> > > that sees it.

> Maybe because Partition Magic uses the OS/2 tools (Boot Manager, FDISK etc.)?
> Whereas SuSE uses the same ones as Corel, probably.

Not so, fdisk under SuSE flagged an error in the partition table but was able to read data
from both areas meaning the one using the screwed up info and the original one. Only the partition
used by Corel was damaged. fdisk did accept to recreate partition at the place where Corel messed
up but even though it seems to look ok on the SuSE side it wasn't recognized by partition magic
which gave an error #114 if I remember correctly. OS/2 only flagged an error for the partition
created by Corel. I didn't try to remove the bad partition under OS/2 worrying that it may
damage my SuSE partitions which were next in line. I guessed I should have tried after I backed
up the stuff, perhaps OS/2 could have restored the sanity of the hard disk.

Quote:> > fdisk /newmbr /disk:2 doesn't work, MBR and partition tables messed up and OS/2 isn't
> > able to repair it.

> You don't want to rebuilt the MBR on disk two, just on disk one to remove
> LILO.  /NEWMBR doesn't fix the partition table, AFAIK.

If you ever want to switch to be the first drive you'd need a good MBR.

Quote:> This is a problem with all Linux versions.  Linux fdisk does something
> screwy to the partition table.  Once it's modified a drive, OS/2 FDISK
> wants nothing to do with it anymore (at least, 70-80% of the time).
> Sometimes it will actually say the partition table is corrupt - in which
> case I've never found a solution - or it will simply refuse to do anything
> to existing partitions except delete them.

Actually, after I recreated a partition table under SuSE I was able to see it with Partition
magic as well as with OS/2 with no error.

Quote:> In the latter case - and, according to some, in the former as well (though
> that hasn't been my experience) - the version of FDISK that came with
> OS/2 version 2.11 will sometimes work.

> Others have said that the newer, alternative Linux fdisk program, called
> 'cfdisk', writes the partition table properly and does not cause this
> problem.  If this is true, then perhaps using cfdisk to re-write the
> partition table (from Linux) might fix the problem.

> I don't know if Corel or SuSE include cfdisk, I know Debian does.
> For that matter, I don't know what fdisk program Corel uses to write
> the partitions during install...

> Unfortunately, judging by your follow-up message, these recommendations
> come too late to save you major inconvenience.

> > There was also another extremmely annoying bug involving the keyboard. I
> > found out that with the graphic boot my override of the keyboard with
> > .Xmodmap seems to be largely ignored. With a console boot it seems to
> > work ok.

> I think I've noticed this one, too.  I can't use my keypad arrow-keys,
> which annoys me no end.

It will work once you disable automatic graphic login. I got it to work but it
only does if the kdm script is removed. Corel, for some moronic reason override
the runlevel by running a kdm script after the boot. Smells like microsoft ...

Quote:> > An advice to all who are thinking of Corel : Unless Corel is the only
> > thing that you will install on your PC, wait for a fix to the install
> > bug, assuming that it is likely to come. If the fix doesn't come, you
> > better ignore Corel unless you are willing to practice your swearing
> > vocabulary.  And just in case your temper could go, hide the shutgun.
> > You must always remember that that poor PC isn't the culprit but Corel
> > is. Take the winblows proctecting mode shield --> be prepared for any
> > * up la winblows. This is pushing the winblows ways way to much!
> > Bad move Corel ...

> For a very first release, I still think this is a reasonable effort.
> Pity about the non-overridable boot setup.

just delete or move the script kdm on /etc/rcS.d
if you don't have a laptop you can get rid of the pcmcia script as well

Quote:> I'm still playing with my Corel partition, and compiling a list of bugs
> that I'll try and send Corel's way.

I found out some old bug on kde, the windows that only shows part of the text. I don't
have that problem with SuSE. As for the messages most of them are in English even though
I set it up to French. For the keyboard the support from KDE sucks, my .Xmodmap works
better. I added an update for the French Canadian keyboards to xkeycaps which turned out to be
burned on the latest SuSE distribution CDs of version 6.2 which I bought 5 of for family and me.

As I see right now Corel has a long way to catch up with SuSE. I like some of the improvement
they made which I intend to port to my SuSE install. I am now using their version of plugger
which works better than the one that comes with SuSE.

I did manage to get Corel to boot from the SuSE lilo. I'd like to find a way to restore
the boot so I can use the OS/2 boot manager and not risk a crash. I'm not sure how to do that.
OS/2 has no problem seeing the whole hard disk since SuSE fixed the partition table.

--

Post by Michel Catuda » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I wish I had seen this thread earlier, ie before trying to install corel
> linux.

> This is a warning as well as information for other users. The partition
> program in the install is ridiculous-

> 1. It will not use an available partition as the root partition.
> 2. You have to delete and then add a partition for it to accept a root
> partition.
> 3. If you are trying to install in an extended partition it writes the
> cylinders incorrectly so that they are not contigous-- Even after I
> tried maximising the MB to be alloted to the partition from within the
> program. It would stop short a leave a few cylinders blank at the end of
> the corel partition and before the beginning of the next one. The
> install off course bombs.
> 4. On trying to re-install  it completely screwed up the partition table
> so that there are no partitions after the corel partition. It completely
> destroyed my mbr AND the installed crashed with no usable linux left on
> the system.

> Thankfully I had made a copy of my mbr to a floppy prior to installing
> corel linux. I was able to boot of this and at least get to the windows
> partition.

> I then downloaded Tomsrtbt linux that fits onto a floppy. This one is
> simply amazing! It is staying with me forever.

> Used fdisk from this linux to fix my partition table to what it was
> prior to the corel install- I fortunately remembered the start and end
> cylinders for all of the partitions ( I definitely had my fingers
> crossed). I am now keeping a printout in a safe place. Wrote this table
> to disk and all the partitions were usable with no need to reformat and
> recover.

> Needless to say Corel certainly needs to clean up their installation
> before I ever touch it again. It may be OK only for people who have a
> complete hard-drive to spare.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I'd be very interested in the details on how to recover a partition table as you did.
I managed to keep a working Corel Linux which I have tared and backed up before I
repartitionned the drive once I created a new blank partition table with fdisk. Despite
what many people think I have never had problems with Linux fdisk screwing up. The guilty
part here is Corel's fdisk which is one of the shittiest piece of junk I've yet to see.
Why didn't they use fdisk, druid or partition magic. Usually I use either OS/2 or partition
magic to setup the partitions and use fdisk to toggle the partition number.

What is scary with this new Corel release is that if this garbage hit the stores, Linux
is going to get hit all over as if it was a virus. At this point, unless you have the opportunity
to do what I did there is little way to be able to have a workable Corel Linux as well as a
surviving system. I could have lived with it but what bothered me was that OS/2 and partition
magic could no longer see the drive.

As to why it went past the beta mode without anyone noticing the bug is unbelievable. Someone
was asleep at the switch.

Is that fdisk from KDE group or is it done by Corel?

--

Post by John Hasle » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Sundeep writes:
> It may be OK only for people who have a complete hard-drive to spare.

I tried that.  It scribbled on the mbr on my other drive.  I was able to
recover easily with a rescue floppy, but if I had been a Windows user I
would have been SOL.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

1. multi-boot Win98 and Corel LINUX - lost boot menu

Dear UNIX brethren -

I installed the latest Corel Linux on my Win98 PC, and I liked the
dual-boot menu that would come up automatically at power-on.

However, unstable little OS that Win98 is, "got corrupted" according
to the jokers in the office I work with. Couldn't fix it, so I
re-installed Win98. NOW I lost the dual-boot startup menu, as Win98
decided IT was the dominant OS and now I can't boot to Linux (it's
still there on a separate physical drive).

Is there an easy thing that I'm missing in the docs to bring back my
dual-boot menu? I tried going into FDISK to set active partitions, but
no luck. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

CA

2. DiskSuite

3. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

4. clearing console on logout

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Need to remove ^L formfeed

7. Help? Corel Linux + Win2k + Win98, Cant boot linux.

8. script for user account setup

9. Corel Linux install--Windows 98 boots, Linux doesn't

10. Was -- ("compiling kde2.2.1 == nightmare, redhat and kde updating == nightmare")

11. W2K + linux - screwed up boot.ini ?!?

12. compiling kde2.2.1 == nightmare, redhat and kde updating == nightmare

13. System Continually Re-boots When Trying To Install Corel Linux