LPD Won't Start

Post by Brett R. Rossell » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

When I attempt to start the LPD I get the following error message:

lpd Setuplog: open /dev/null failed - Permission  denied

At first I thought that the null device was missing.
I checked to see that /dev/null existed. As far as I can tell it has
proper permissions.
I even re-created it with some of your help just to make sure.

Anybody have any ideas on this? I can print by doing the following:

ls > /dev/lp
or
ls > /dev/lp1

But, I haven't been able to spool anything, and when I attempt to start
the LPD I get the message I stated earlier.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

1. lpd won't start (not a FAQ!)

I have tried to start lpd without any success.
Yes I read all the FAQ in this subject (tons of them).

distribution: slackware 1.2.0
kernel:       1.0.8 , default for distribution (compiled for network)
system:       intel-486DX-33
port:         /dev/lp1
$USER:        root
lp-utils:     default for slackware 1.2.0
network:      non!!! (I know that this may cause trouble)
printcap-option1:
              lp:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/usr/spool/lp
printcap-option2:  (in case I have problems with /dev/lp1 device)
              lp:lp=/dev/null:sd=/usr/spool/lp

I don't want to recompile my kernel! (Don't have time for this hackery)

2. pppd overwrites /etc/HOSTNAME ?

3. lpd daemon won't start

4. Mount permissions

5. LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

6. Linux fscked up wjbell's system.

7. lpd daeomon won't start - How detect the reason ->syslog

8. NEC 260 Help

9. Printer spool won't start-lpd/lprng

10. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

11. Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/lp0'

12. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

13. lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'