Using Linux as a fileserver?

Post by George Walfo » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Here at work we are currently using a Novell box as our fileserver. We
are considering moving over to Linux as most of our servers are Linux
based now.

We do have a concern however using Linux as a fileserver however:
Novell gives you the option of recovering a deleted file, if you
accidentaly destroyed an important file. (It also gives you a "purge"
option that lets you truly destroy the file.)

How would linux work in this environment? I know Linux can make an
excellent fileserver, but what happens if a file is deleted? AFAIK the
ext2fs does not take kindly to the restoration of deleted files. Any
solutions to this? Would a SAMBA based fileserver have a "undelete"
option? (all our clients are unfortunatly MS based.)

Thanks.

Using Linux as a fileserver?

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:52:35 GMT, George Walford said:

Quote:>Here at work we are currently using a Novell box as our fileserver. We
>are considering moving over to Linux as most of our servers are Linux
>based now.

>We do have a concern however using Linux as a fileserver however:
>Novell gives you the option of recovering a deleted file, if you
>accidentaly destroyed an important file. (It also gives you a "purge"
>option that lets you truly destroy the file.)

>How would linux work in this environment? I know Linux can make an
>excellent fileserver, but what happens if a file is deleted? AFAIK the
>ext2fs does not take kindly to the restoration of deleted files. Any
>solutions to this? Would a SAMBA based fileserver have a "undelete"
>option? (all our clients are unfortunatly MS based.)

No, they won't, unless you care to modify Samba so that deletions
instead get moved to another location for quarantine (shouldn't be too
hard to do, you can pay me if you like :-)

Perhaps you should keep frequent backups? Alternatively, if the
clients are Windows clients, like you say, then you may be able to get
the Recycle Bin to work, maybe?

Robie.
--

1. using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

Hi,,

HAs anyone used FreeBSD to act as a fileserver for a DOS based
computer,,

Does anyone know the setup required on FreeBSD and the software
I need on DOS and also reccommend ways of connecting them together
i.e parrallel port or serial  or network card ?

can anyone help?

thanks Tarkan

2. redhat CDROM not detected.

3. using my box as a fileserver

4. Parsing GET and POST through the C API

5. using Mklinux for a Mac/NT fileserver network

6. Two linux consoles

7. LinuxSoft - the virtual Linux-Fileserver for all Linux-Applikations, Drivers and Documentations just opened

8. os2 bootmanager and lilo

9. LinuxSoft - the virtual Linux-Fileserver for all Linux-Applications, Drivers and Documentations just opened