Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

Post by Sullivan &am » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 09:23:12

I have a friend who is trying to install linux on his system, and
we've been unable to do this so far.

He has an Adaptec 1542cf with 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SCSI hard drive
(basically, it's an older system and as he's needed new hard disk space,
he's added drives one small drive at a time).

We're trying to install linux on the SCSI drive using bootlin to boot
from an IDE drive and start up linux.  If we boot up with the BIOS
enabled, the Adaptec BIOS complains about "no int13h device found" and
doesn't go any further.

If we disable the BIOS, bootlin starts up fine and loads the linux kernel,
but it says that it could not find any SCSI devices and after a point,
it hangs without allowing you to log in.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it would be much
appreciated.

--
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
S. Beck                  | If DOS came with several language compilers,

-------------------------+ to thirty pages of on-line documentation for
each program, library, and system call, it wouldn't fit on a floppy either.

Post by Christopher M. M » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 13:15:48

: I have a friend who is trying to install linux on his system, and
: we've been unable to do this so far.

: He has an Adaptec 1542cf with 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SCSI hard drive
: (basically, it's an older system and as he's needed new hard disk space,
: he's added drives one small drive at a time).

: We're trying to install linux on the SCSI drive using bootlin to boot
: from an IDE drive and start up linux.  If we boot up with the BIOS
: enabled, the Adaptec BIOS complains about "no int13h device found" and
: doesn't go any further.

I've seen a Zenith 386 which would not recognize any drives on an Adaptec
1542CF with the bios enabled.  Zenith said that this was a documented
problem with Adaptec controllers.  I was forced to boot from an old
ESDI drive and load the ASPI drivers from there.  This was not a Linux Box.

I don't think Linux needs the SCSI bios installed if the kernel supports
the Adaptec card.

I've never bothered to use bootlin, does it work?  It seemed to require
significant configuration last time I checked.....

--

-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst
-       Technical Assistant, P.C. Maintenance Lab

1. ANSWER Re: Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

: I have a friend who is trying to install linux on his system, and
: we've been unable to do this so far.

: He has an Adaptec 1542cf with 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SCSI hard drive
: (basically, it's an older system and as he's needed new hard disk space,
: he's added drives one small drive at a time).

: We're trying to install linux on the SCSI drive using bootlin to boot
: from an IDE drive and start up linux.  If we boot up with the BIOS
: enabled, the Adaptec BIOS complains about "no int13h device found" and
: doesn't go any further.

We were able to solve this ourselves after a couple more hours of playing.
Here's the solution in case anyone else has such a weird system.

1) The memory address on the Adaptec MUST be the factory default 330 (my
   friend had originally wanted to save 330 for another card he had).

2) Disable the Adaptec BIOS (one of the options in the advance options
   part of the BIOS setup).

3) I used bootlin to boot up in DOS and then switch to linux at boot time.
   I'm not sure whether this is the best option, but it's the one I know
   how to do :-).  To do this, made a Linux menu option in the config.sys
   which contains 3 lines.  The first two load the two Adaptec drivers
   ASPIDISK and ASPI4DOS (I'm doing this from memory, so check the Adaptec
   docs to see if those are the names for sure).  The final line loads the
   bootlin.com program to start up linux.

Hope this helps someone.  If you need more info, don't hesitate to write

--
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
S. Beck                  | If DOS came with several language compilers,
Quantum Theory Project   | two dozen language interpreters, 2000 programs,

-------------------------+ to thirty pages of on-line documentation for
each program, library, and system call, it wouldn't fit on a floppy either.

2. man pages for AIX 4.3.1

3. Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

4. Support for micro/nanosecond [acm]time in the NFS client

5. Setting up 2 new SCSI HD in a system with an IDE HD

6. Installing problems

7. How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

8. How can i use chroot

9. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD

10. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD

11. Dell Dimension + IDE HD + IDE CDROM + 2940 SCSI = PROBLEM???

12. Help: Adaptec 1542 SCSI HD (not) installing

13. New/fast IDE HD with older HD