slow X - again!!!

Post by felmon davi » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:10:24

Greets!

This is really weird! It's happening again after weeks of bliss. I have a
small home network including a laptop connected by NIC to a desktop. I
sometimes run X apps on the laptop to the desktop, specifically
realplayer. For awhile _all_ X stuff was intolerably slow but I solved
that by tightening connections and then everything was fine.

I ssh into the laptop and then invoke Realplayer. Last night, Realplayer
jammed - it's not halted but so slow as to be almost imperceptible. I
noticed that keyboard response on the x-term was so slow as to be
practically halted. I could ssh in via a fresh x-term and kill realplayer
and the former ssh session.

When I try to reinvoke Realplayer, it is again slow as can be. Even
rebooting the laptop, pretty drastic!, doesn't help. The only solution I
found was to reboot the desktop too! (No, telinit 1 doesn't work!) I mean
a _cold_ boot.

It's happened again tonight. I have another desktop connected and x-term
sessions and X apps fly rather nicely.

the laptop is a compaq presario 722us it has Realtek controller, 256 Ram,
amd 1,x00 Suse 8.0 and 2.4.19 w/ acpi patch installed (ugh!) hub is
linksys
desktop is home-built with 126 ram and Amd 700 using natsemi drivers on
Netgear
Suse 8.0 and 2.4.19
using nv drivers on GeForce2 mmx ddr

I recently upgraded to this nv driver which might be relevant.

I just need a couple of good clues and tips. glad to supply more
information.

F.

1. rcmd fast, slow, slow, slow, fast, slow, slow. Again!!

This is a bug in SCO TCP/IP 1.2.1; it is corrected by the most current
net382 SLS (ftp.sco.com:/SLS/net382*).  Quoting from its cover letter,

| 10. A new tcp driver (/etc/conf/pack.d/tcp/Driver.o) modified for
|     these reasons:
|     f. A possible six second delay is eliminated between multiple
|        invocations of rcmd or rcp.

2. The Network gets slow!

3. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

4. Total Newbie - Unix or Linux?

5. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

6. Reposted: How do I get knewsticker to work again

7. Again, again, and again

8. X86 DNS problem

9. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

10. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

11. slow cdrom (again)

12. FTP slow to present login prompt (once again)

13. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?