RH6.1, Rogers@Home- Can't PING Gateway, DNS

Post by <jh.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

  I just installed RedHat 6.1 and have tried to get my cable modem to work
with it. I've entered in all the TCP/IP setting, and I can ping my PC IP
but I can't ping my Gateway. I'm using RH6.1 (as stated above) on an eTower
400 i3 (Celeron 400, 32 Megs RAM, Tarayon modem, NDC ethernet (it's found
just fine). It's a barebones install, want to get the net working first
before adding anythign else. And so thus I am a linux newbie too. I altered
the settings using control-panel in x-term/x windows. I'm using GNOME

running Win98 on the same HDD, using LILO. Other than that I can't really
think of anything else...

waded through countless messages on it but I still can't get ping my
gateway.

 jhohertz36 dot yahoo dot com

RH6.1, Rogers@Home- Can't PING Gateway, DNS

Post by john_94.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Assuming your cable modem setup is similar to my DSL one, have you taken
a look at the netmask setting for your ethernet interface? Let me
describe my setup, if yours is the same then perhaps it will help, if
not just skip it!

I have two PCs and a DSL modem. Assigned to me are 8 IP addresses
(allows for future expansion ;-); of which one is the network address
(the lowest numbered), one the broadcast (the highest numbered) and one
the DSL modem (or gateway).

The remaining five are mine for hosts... now, since I have 8 IP
addresses as opposed to the 256 that my class of IP address would
suggest, I need to tell Linux a little more about the network. I did
this using the GUI based linuxconf utility which writes to a file called
ifcfg-eth0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts in my case (I'm also using
RH6.1 so this should be close to your system's workings too).

In that file, my netmask is set to 255.255.255.248. If you have only 4
IP addresses (i.e. network,broadcast,gateway and a single host) you'll
need 255.255.255.252.

Hope that helps a little...

John...

BTW Win98 should also have these settings so you could check there to
see what numbers you need if you're not sure.

>   I just installed RedHat 6.1 and have tried to get my cable modem to
work
> with it. I've entered in all the TCP/IP setting, and I can ping my PC
IP
> but I can't ping my Gateway. I'm using RH6.1 (as stated above) on an
eTower
> 400 i3 (Celeron 400, 32 Megs RAM, Tarayon modem, NDC ethernet (it's
found
> just fine). It's a barebones install, want to get the net working
first
> before adding anythign else. And so thus I am a linux newbie too. I
altered
> the settings using control-panel in x-term/x windows. I'm using GNOME

also
> running Win98 on the same HDD, using LILO. Other than that I can't
really
> think of anything else...

I've
> waded through countless messages on it but I still can't get ping my
> gateway.

>  jhohertz36 dot yahoo dot com

> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. 3c900, 3c59x on RH5.2 - trying to install @home - can't 'Ping' DNS

Hi:

service) and I'm unsuccessful.  I have the 3c900-tpo card and succesfully
connect to my ISP under Windows (but want to move to Linux).  I've
installed the 3c59x module and and can now successfully ping my
'Gateway/Router' but cannot ping my DNS/nameserver.  If I go to an MSDOS
prompt while under windows, I can succesfully ping each of these sites.

Also, when I try enabling dhcp I get the error ...Using DHCP for
eth0...failed and I then lose recognition of the card and obviously can't
ping anyone.

Can any expert out there help me out??
Thanks;
Jon

Other info;
O/S Redhat 5.2

3c59x driver

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

2. error when recompiling the kernel with ASUS TX97 -LE

3. Rogers@home and RH6.0 [Help]

4. How to get pipes to run unbuffered?

5. Rogers@home RH6.0 help

6. jetdirect from print tool

7. linux freeze after rogers@home reset gateway

8. RPC Security

9. @home+SMC etherEZ (RH7.0):route/ifconfig ok still can't ping gateway

10. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

11. Can't ping my Gateway (but I can ping my own IP address)

12. Can't connect to net or ping gateway (was 'hell')

13. Canned "ping"