INN question...

Post by Rob McKenz » Sat, 06 Aug 1994 12:16:03

I have a question about INN.. please don't flame me if this isn't the place
to ask this.

We have inn installed at our site (inasec.ca) with only 1 last thing to
get going.  We can't seem to post.  I suspect the nnrpd is missing.

Not knowing everything I should know about inn as I should.. is it
as simple to have someone send us their working binaries and we just
install them?  I guess a copy of the config files used when posting is
done would also be helpful.

If anyone can help us out here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advnace.

Cheers!!!

--
---

           For listserv info send email, subject: send help
                  Becoming your BBS List Central

---

INN question...

Post by Barry Yip kam- » Sun, 07 Aug 1994 15:01:07

>I have a question about INN.. please don't flame me if this isn't the place
>to ask this.
>We have inn installed at our site (inasec.ca) with only 1 last thing to
>get going.  We can't seem to post.  I suspect the nnrpd is missing.
>Not knowing everything I should know about inn as I should.. is it
>as simple to have someone send us their working binaries and we just
>install them?  I guess a copy of the config files used when posting is
>done would also be helpful.

It may be worth for you to take a look at hosts.nntp as it should
contain the FQDN for your site. Hope it helps.
--
Barry Yip

INN question...

Post by Craig I. Hag » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:33:40

> >I have a question about INN.. please don't flame me if this isn't the place
> >to ask this.
> >We have inn installed at our site (inasec.ca) with only 1 last thing to
> >get going.  We can't seem to post.  I suspect the nnrpd is missing.
> >Not knowing everything I should know about inn as I should.. is it
> >as simple to have someone send us their working binaries and we just
> >install them?  I guess a copy of the config files used when posting is
> >done would also be helpful.
> It may be worth for you to take a look at hosts.nntp as it should
> contain the FQDN for your site. Hope it helps.
> --
> Barry Yip

I have heard of many instances where nntpsend wasn't working properly, try
using innxmit instead.

-- craig

INN question...

Post by Dana J. Bold » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:50:20

> I have a question about INN.. please don't flame me if this isn't the place
> to ask this.

> We have inn installed at our site (inasec.ca) with only 1 last thing to
> get going.  We can't seem to post.  I suspect the nnrpd is missing.

> Not knowing everything I should know about inn as I should.. is it
> as simple to have someone send us their working binaries and we just
> install them?  I guess a copy of the config files used when posting is
> done would also be helpful.

> If anyone can help us out here it would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advnace.

> Cheers!!!

I had the same problem when I installed INN.  Bryan Vold was kind enough
to send me a fix.  I have enclosed most of Brian's message below.  Let me
know if you have problems applying the fix and I'll send my nntpsend files
as a starting point.

Good luck,
Dana

-----Begin Brian's message-----
What we did to fix it (and it works), is to split NNTPSEND into two files.

1. Starting at about line 245 (the line that starts  sh -c `  , take everything
up to the ` & at about 275 (or 276) and put it in another file called
nntpextra.

2. Comment out all those lines you put into nntpextra, including the  sh -c `
and  ` & at the end (or delete them, I would make a backup of this file,
just in case...

3. Insert the command:

  nntpextra &

right above the  sh -c ` line that you just commented out.

4. Edit the nntpextra program to be a shell script  (delete the  sh -c `  from
the beginning, and the ` & from the end, and insert:

!#/bin/sh

at the beginning.

5.  Make sure you install these.  This may have to be done by hand.

That should be it.  If you need more help, mail me, and I can send you my
files.  Works fine after we did the above.
If you want the same functionality as the original, leave the sleep 5 alone.

--Bryan Vold
--

Linux -- The Choice of a GNU Generation  "Make it so, Number One."
----------

----------

1. An interesting inn question

I have worked myself into an interesting inn situation that requires
help.

This is what I want to do with it:

1. Download a specified list of newsgroups from my ISP.
2. Write to to the appropriate format to disk to be read by anyone who
logs into my machine.
3. Allows those people to read and post to my machine.
4. Run a process periodically that will send the posted articles to my
ISP and get new articles.

Now, this is what is happening:

1. Boot machine.
2. Cannot find host for news (I have not dialed in yet).
3. Sits and waits for a cron (I am assuming here)
4. I run tin from a shell and post and it is written locally and a
message states that it is spooling the article for transmission.

The problem lies when I am connected to my provider. When I am
connected the post gets passed through to my provider and not written
locally. I assume that it will then be downloaded later if the
connection is available when the cron roles around to get new
articles. This is no good. I waste bandwidth by transmitting the
article twice.

How do I write sole locally and when ready pass the articles on to my
provider? I know that UUCP is a batching system for this, but I do not
know if my provider allows for UUCP connections. I have begun to play
with SUCK but again how will I stop inn from passing on the article
when posted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Linux-TO-Networked HP4M+ :Banner Pages

3. INN questions - what group ?

4. Routing with le0:1

5. Quick INN Question

6. Where Can I get Xfree v4

7. inn question -can't write to server

8. Getting an email address from Apache logs

9. INN questions

10. More infos : inn : how to get all the articles of an old inn server

11. inn : how to get all the articles of an old inn server

12. INN-2.1 man pages and more INN stuff

13. INN with an INN uplink using NNRPD server