***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

Post by Nic » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

I've had RH5.1 Linux on my system for some time.  Now it won't boot up
with several errors.  I think the drivers I enabled for OS/2 to read
Linux in R/W mode, might have corrupted something.  Even though I
never wrote to the EXT2 partition, OS/2 writes EA files and such.  My
linux partition is /dev/hdb1.

Linux starts to boot, but then the errors start.  Among them, are:

Attempt to access beyond end of device
Unable to read superblock
checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
hdb:  media changed
hdb:  packet command error: status 0x51 errors 0x00, 0x50
hdb:  code 0x70 key 0x05 asc 0x24, aseq 0x00
FAT bread failed
unable to mount root file system

I tried booting from my linux boot disk and using the rescue disk.
After it mounts successfully, I tried to run e2fsck, but it fails with
many of the same errors, plus, it says the partition is write
protected.  Actually, I think it failed when I tried to mount the
linux partition on my hard disk.

Can anyone please explain to me how I (a linux newbie) can correct
this problem?  I played around with linux when I first got it, and did
a lot of customization, which I probably couldn't duplicate (and
didn't know how to back up).  Now I don't have much time to work with
it, but would like to recover what I had.  I'd appreciate any help!

Nick

1. ***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

[...]

2. apm for Transmonde Vivante'

3. Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

4. Mandrake 8 kernel panic on install:

5. RH5.1 Won't Install! Please Help!!!

6. How to Load Solaris Patches?

7. RH5.1 won't install!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

8. viewing MT CPU usage

9. RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot

10. Moved linux drive from hfc to hda - now won't boot right... please help!

11. linux won't boot! help please!

12. Had win98 and Linux, now 98 won't boot, please help.

13. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help