MAKE/IMAKE: Seeking help with error message

MAKE/IMAKE: Seeking help with error message

Post by r. w. cosb » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

In the process of trying to install two applications, xpm-3.4j and itools-R6.3,
I encounter the following error message:

     /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld:  cannot open -lgcc:  No such file or directory

I am running Linux v.2.0.30 on a Pentium machine, with Slackware 3.0
distribution, gcc-2.7.2.1, XFree86 v.3.3 (which gives me "imake" and "xmkmf"),
libc-5.4.33, ld.so-1.9.2 and binutils-2.8.1.0.1.

Despite following (as best I can!) the instructions given in the accompanying
documentation relating to the Imakefiles and other configuration files,
the problem persists.

Any pointers as to what may be the cause of this problem, and advice about
how to resolve it, will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

--
Robin Cosby

--
Robin Cosby

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>In the process of trying to install two applications, xpm-3.4j and itools-R6.3,
>I encounter the following error message:

>     /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld:  cannot open -lgcc:  No such file or directory

gcc is the compiler and not a library.  the -lxxxxx  means for the
linker to open a library file.  find the part of the (i)make file that
has -lgcc and remove it and all should be fine.

ed

Quote:>I am running Linux v.2.0.30 on a Pentium machine, with Slackware 3.0
>distribution, gcc-2.7.2.1, XFree86 v.3.3 (which gives me "imake" and "xmkmf"),
>libc-5.4.33, ld.so-1.9.2 and binutils-2.8.1.0.1.

>Despite following (as best I can!) the instructions given in the accompanying
>documentation relating to the Imakefiles and other configuration files,
>the problem persists.

>Any pointers as to what may be the cause of this problem, and advice about
>how to resolve it, will be gratefully received.

>Thanks in advance,

>--
>Robin Cosby

>--
>Robin Cosby

Notice the lack of a PGP key.
I have car keys, house keys, and an old trunk key, but NO PGP
key.  I'll leave such things to the paranoid and neurotic people
amongst the populace.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >In the process of trying to install two applications, xpm-3.4j and itools-R6.3,
> >I encounter the following error message:

> >     /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld:  cannot open -lgcc:  No such file or directory
> gcc is the compiler and not a library.  the -lxxxxx  means for the
> linker to open a library file.  find the part of the (i)make file that
> has -lgcc and remove it and all should be fine.

> ed

Not true.  There should be a libgcc.a in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/<arch>/<version>
If it's not there, then your gcc isn't installed properly.  If you want to
get a better idea of what gcc and it's sub programs are looking for and
where they're looking for it, try doing 'gcc -v hello.c'.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

1. MAKE/IMAKE: Seeking help with error message

In the process of trying to install two applications, xpm-3.4j and itools-R6.3,
I encounter the following error message:

     /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld:  cannot open -lgcc:  No such file or directory

I am running Linux v.2.0.30 on a Pentium machine, with Slackware 3.0
distribution, gcc-2.7.2, XFree86 v.3.3 (which gives me "imake" and "xmkmf"),
libc-5.4.33, ld.so-1.9.2 and binutils-2.8.1.0.1.

Despite following (as best I can!) the instructions given in the accompanying
documentation relating to the Imakefiles and other configuration files,
the problem persists.

Any pointers as to what may be the cause of this problem, and advice about
how to resolve it, will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

--
Robin Cosby

2. Get rid of IPv6?

3. seek help w common ultrix error messages

4. scroll forward / backward in ksh

5. help sought about weird vi error message ...

6. problems running Apache on HP-UX 10.20

7. Illegal Seek error message when manipulating FIFOs

8. D.C. - UNIX Admin.

9. Seeking imake vs. Solaris/Open Windows veterans/casualties

10. Imake making bad Makefiles

11. imake error - help

12. Error message continuous error messages

13. Making X programs with imake