XTC version 00.05 now available

Post by Eugene O'Ne » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

At long last, I am releasing a new version of XTC, the X Tool Collection. I
have spent the last several months performing a massive overhaul, re-designing
XTC from the ground up. No part was left untouched: you might even say this
version of XTC is a completely new library.

XTC is an X Window application library written in pure, object-oriented,
multi-threaded java.  It does not depend on existing C libraries, such as Xlib
or Motif: it is meant to completely replace them.

XTC also does not use the standard AWT, avoiding the problems associated with
peer objects implemented differently on different platforms: it connects
directly to the display using a TCP/IP socket, or any other connection that
can be implemented as a pair of InputStream and OutputStream objects.

XTC aims to provide all of the power of libraries like Motif, at a tiny
fraction of their bulk. It already provides subclassable widgets and powerful,
postscript-like drawing features like scaling, rotation, and even bezier
curves, yet the total size of the compiled class files is barely over a tenth
of one megabyte. Java's garbage collector makes memory leaks virtually
impossible, but great care was still taken to keep run-time memory usage at a
minumum.

XTC has great potential, but it is still in the early stages of development.
It lacks many features one would expect from a fully-functional windowing
library. Also, the current version has only been tested on my own Linux
machine running the Kaffe VM and the XFree X Window server, running in 16bpp
mode. I need brave, hardy souls with different configurations to try it out,
report bugs, and provide constructive criticism.

If you are interested in getting involved in the development of this promising
new windowing library, find out more at the XTC web site:

  http://www.cs.umb.edu/~eugene/XTC

-Eugene

1. term version of ncftp available ?

Hi,
  Can someone point me to an ftp site with term versino of ncftp source ?
I am using FreeBSD-1.1.5.1, but since  most of the term development has
been Linux-tied, Iguess some of you Linux fans won't mind telling me where
to find it. How about term versino of ftp and telnet SOURCE ?

  Thanks in advance, nd email replies [please.
--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   - Just an enthusiastic and curious learner of computing technology.

2. Need X-Windows help (resolution size)

3. New Version: Art of Assembly (Linux Edition) Available

4. The Computer Science Club Presents...

5. xmailbox Version 2.2 is available

6. RSH and RLOGIN

7. New version of Microwindows now available for download

8. help with ide drive

9. NETSCAPE Version 1.1b2 Available

10. Updated version of UPS debugger available

11. VNC remote-display system version 3.3.2 freely available

12. New beta version of ypbind available

13. ********** Apache version 0.8.14 available ***********