Linux Dialup problem

Post by ripos » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
linux partition.

How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

If I cannot...

Then I need to use a com program, telix, ect. to log into the BBS or the
ISP network to get the software downloaded to the Linx partition, from
within Linux.

What is the easiest way to get on the net with Linux? Linux comes with
some crude com dailups.

thanks, Bruce

Linux Dialup problem

Post by Pete » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Well there definetly is a linux version of netscape, but there is no
Linux version of Exporer, nor is it likely that there will ever be.
There is a Solaris version, that may be what you have encountered.  To
read the fat 16 or 32 partition, use the command "mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/"
to mount the partition on /mnt, were hd?? is the partition you want to
read.  Depending on what kernel you have, and what options have
installed, you might have some problems with fat32, but fat16 should go
pretty well.

Linux Dialup problem

Post by Fernand » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux comes with some crude com dailups ?

Minicom

--
This are my personal opinions
Real email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

1. Linux Dialup problem

I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
linux partition.

How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

If I cannot...

Then I need to use a com program, telix, ect. to log into the BBS or the
ISP network to get the software downloaded to the Linx partition, from
within Linux.

What is the easiest way to get on the net with Linux? Linux comes with
some crude com dailups.

thanks, Bruce

2. I'm out of here. Best wishes to all of you!

3. Sample firewall/masq rules for dialup and non-dialup posted (ipfwadm only)

4. Real thing

5. DIALUP TO LINUX PROBLEM

6. New FreeBSD user questions

7. Linux PPP dialup problem to Ascend Modems

8. White screen of death upon install

9. Linux Dialup to Windows NT problem

10. Linux PPPD dialup server, win95 client negotiation problem

11. lucent wireless problem on linux dialup gateway

12. dialup problems under RedHat 5.1

13. Mgetty dialup problem