SW64 PCI?

Post by Matthew O. Persic » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

RedHat has Soundbalster 64 capabilites built in, but will they work if
th board sits in a PCI, not ISA, slot?

My PII Dual Chip board from Tyan hs its two ISA slots filled with a
modem and a parallel port for printer #2.

SW64 PCI?

Post by Armageddo » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster standard
implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
Blaster.

Armageddon   ;-)

SW64 PCI?

Post by Sheldon Nylande » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

There is a sound card called the PCI 64 from Creative Labs.  It is essentially
an AWE 64 for PCI and, amazingly, cost the same amount.

--
"It can only be attributable to human error." - HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space
Odyssey

SW64 PCI?

Post by J. Clark » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

You're right that Sound Blaster hasn't made a PCI card, since there is no
company called "Sound Blaster" which is in the business of making sound
boards for PCs.  However Creative Labs, the company which makes the Sound
Blaster has not one but two PCI sound boards, one of which they sell under
the "Sound Blaster" brand.

--John

--
Send email to jclarke at ibm dot net.  The above address is incorrect to
defeat automatic mailers.

>Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
>Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster
standard
>implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
>Blaster.

>Armageddon   ;-)

SW64 PCI?

Post by Anthony Si » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

>There is a sound card called the PCI 64 from Creative Labs.  It is essentially
>an AWE 64 for PCI and, amazingly, cost the same amount.

Um ... no it isn't. The Creative Labs PCI 64 is a rebadged card and is
made by someone else (I can't remember who). It is not even remotely
similar to the Creative Labs AWE 64. Most notable is the lack of a
wavetable.

It is still amazing that the PCI 64 costs as much as the AWE 64, since
a PCI 64 without the Creative name is a third of the price :)

--
I apologize if most of what I have written is total rubbish

Anthony Sims

SW64 PCI?

Post by Stan Roc » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

I would have to agree.  I have sold many PCI SB 64's before.  In fact,
almost all sound card & modem manufactures have PCI technology and product
NOW!  I've held the card in my hand!

Stan
Technical Consultant

>There is a sound card called the PCI 64 from Creative Labs.  It is
essentially
>an AWE 64 for PCI and, amazingly, cost the same amount.

>> Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
>> Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster
standard
>> implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
>> Blaster.

>> Armageddon   ;-)

>--
>"It can only be attributable to human error." - HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space
>Odyssey

SW64 PCI?

Post by Paul E Lars » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

>There is a sound card called the PCI 64 from Creative Labs.  It is essentially
>an AWE 64 for PCI and, amazingly, cost the same amount.

Actually it is the old Ensonig PCI sound card(CL bought Ensonig) and now it is
2x the price, amazing ain't it.

Paul

>> Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
>> Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster standard
>> implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
>> Blaster.

>> Armageddon   ;-)

SW64 PCI?

Post by Rolf Magnu » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

 > I would have to agree.  I have sold many PCI SB 64's before.  In
fact,
 > almost all sound card & modem manufactures have PCI technology and
product
 > NOW!  I've held the card in my hand!

I hope you threw it away...

SW64 PCI?

Post by Michelle Klein-Ha » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 16 May 1998 01:57:59 -0400, "Armageddon"

>Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
>Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster standard
>implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
>Blaster.

Wrong!

Creative recently released their first PCI audio card...it's based on
the AWE64 Value Edition.

SIIG also makes one, as do several other companies. SIIG guarantees
their PCI sound card to be compatible with DOS games like DOOM and
Quake.

I'm seriously looking at replacing my current sound card (SB ViBRA 16
PnP) with one of those PCI babies.

--.\\<-H--

With the networks cutting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you
find that your children are using explosives less frequently?

Change the capital letters into numbers
and get rid of the "Nope" and that's my address.

SPAMMERS SPAM ME AT YOUR PERIL!!! I fight back.

SW64 PCI?

Post by James A. Robins » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 22 May 1998 23:28:07 GMT, Michelle Klein-Hass
 >On Sat, 16 May 1998 01:57:59 -0400, "Armageddon"

 > Creative recently released their first PCI audio card...it's based on
 > the AWE64 Value Edition.

I'm just curious -- can sound now be driven to the level that you need
a PCI bus to work with it?

--

Stanford University HighWire Press       - 650-723-7294 (W), 650-725-9335 (F)

SW64 PCI?

Post by Brian V. Smi » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

|> Creative recently released their first PCI audio card...it's based on
|> the AWE64 Value Edition.
|>
|> SIIG also makes one, as do several other companies. SIIG guarantees
|> their PCI sound card to be compatible with DOS games like DOOM and
|> Quake.
|>
|> I'm seriously looking at replacing my current sound card (SB ViBRA 16
|> PnP) with one of those PCI babies.

Does a sound card really need to be PCI?  Isn't ISA plenty fast for even
the highest sound quality?

http://www-epb.lbl.gov/BVSmith
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.

SW64 PCI?

Post by Paul E Lars » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

>On Sat, 16 May 1998 01:57:59 -0400, "Armageddon"

>>Sound Blaster never made a PCI sound card yet.  Even all versions of the
>>Sound Blaster AWE64 are all ISA.  Think about it, the Sound Blaster standard
>>implies ISA.  If you have a PCI sound card, it's definitely not a Sound
>>Blaster.

>Wrong!

>Creative recently released their first PCI audio card...it's based on
>the AWE64 Value Edition.

Hate to crush your beliefs but CL's first PCI sound card is a relabelled
Ensonig Audio PCI card. They bought out Ensonig in March(?) of this
year and promptly reissued the card at double to triple the Ensonig price.

Paul

SW64 PCI?

Post by Matt Taka » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

Thats right....all the creative card is is the Ensoniq card with their label slapped on it,
and they wrote their own drivers. Its definately NOT worth the extra expense when you can find
the Ensoniq card anywhere from $40 to $50.

Matt

--

Matt Takas
www.smatnet.net/~mtakas

 Live life to the fullest.....
 otherwise......you havent lived.......

   -mct

SW64 PCI?

Post by Michelle Klein-Ha » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>On Fri, 22 May 1998 23:28:07 GMT, Michelle Klein-Hass

> >On Sat, 16 May 1998 01:57:59 -0400, "Armageddon"

> > Creative recently released their first PCI audio card...it's based on
> > the AWE64 Value Edition.

>I'm just curious -- can sound now be driven to the level that you need
>a PCI bus to work with it?

Certainly...the ISA bus has been a major bottleneck, particularly for
pro audio calibre work.

PCI audio promises better performance, more channels, less noise, and
audio performance to rival the stuff the Mac has had built-in for
years.

I'm looking forward to going PCI for audio real soon.

Post by David H. L » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

: Certainly...the ISA bus has been a major bottleneck, particularly for
: pro audio calibre work.

: PCI audio promises better performance, more channels, less noise, and
: audio performance to rival the stuff the Mac has had built-in for
: years.

There is no audio application in the world that stresses the ISA bus.
Theere are 2 reasons for PCI:
1) Real Plug and Play that WORKS
2) If you have no ISA cards, your life is much simpler and your bus
runs faster.