Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Post by Kyler Lai » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
sent off the following to Red Hat support:
        I don't want a CD or printed manual, but I do
        want to support Red Hat and I do want to know
        how to install 5.2 with an IBM Home & Away
        adapter listed in
         http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-15.h...

        Is there a way that I can just pay for support
        and get the answer immediately?

The response was
        There are several support packages available.  Please see the complete
        listing/descriptions at www.redhat.com/prodcat.phtml/Support+Products.

Take a look at those support packages.  They range
from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
I was wanting.  Thanks a lot, Red Hat.  (I suspect
that even if I paid the $995, they'd refuse to
give me support until snail mail delivers the
registration number.)

So...I tried ordering the Red Hat Linux/Intel
package from Red Hat.  I told the person that I
didn't really want the package, I just wanted the
registration number.  No dice.  I'd have to wait
to receive the box.

A lot of people talk about making money by providing
Linux support.  It sure would be nice if someone
would follow through with a reasonable system for an
individual like me.  I'd gladly pay >$30 (but <$995)
right now just for someone to help me get through
the RH installation for my notebook computer.

--kyler

Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Post by Steve Sal » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

You can buy RH5.2 at Best Buy for $32. I assume the reg number is in
the box but I haven't bought it.

>I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
>sent off the following to Red Hat support:
>    I don't want a CD or printed manual, but I do
>    want to support Red Hat and I do want to know
>    how to install 5.2 with an IBM Home & Away
>    adapter listed in
>     http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-15.h...

>    Is there a way that I can just pay for support
>    and get the answer immediately?

>The response was
>    There are several support packages available.  Please see the complete
>    listing/descriptions at www.redhat.com/prodcat.phtml/Support+Products.

>Take a look at those support packages.  They range
>from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
>I was wanting.  Thanks a lot, Red Hat.  (I suspect
>that even if I paid the $995, they'd refuse to
>give me support until snail mail delivers the
>registration number.)

>So...I tried ordering the Red Hat Linux/Intel
>package from Red Hat.  I told the person that I
>didn't really want the package, I just wanted the
>registration number.  No dice.  I'd have to wait
>to receive the box.

>A lot of people talk about making money by providing
>Linux support.  It sure would be nice if someone
>would follow through with a reasonable system for an
>individual like me.  I'd gladly pay >$30 (but <$995)
>right now just for someone to help me get through
>the RH installation for my notebook computer.

>--kyler

Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Post by Marco Angles » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    There are several support packages available.  Please see the complete
>    listing/descriptions at www.redhat.com/prodcat.phtml/Support+Products.

>Take a look at those support packages.  They range
>from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
>I was wanting.  Thanks a lot, Red Hat.  (I suspect

That's how much support packages cost in the real world. You're paying for
a consultant at between a hundred and two hundred bucks an hour billable
rate. It's for businesses, obviously, not private individuals.

Of course, if you want to check out your options on the net, it would be
much cheaper :). You have a huge knowledge base out there on dejanews and
other archive services, as well as the LDP, etc. And you can always check
the consultants-HOWTO if you want to pay someone local :).

Marco

--
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

]>I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
]>sent off the following to Red Hat support:
]>   Is there a way that I can just pay for support
]>   and get the answer immediately?
]>Take a look at those support packages.  They range
]>from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
]>Linux support.  It sure would be nice if someone
]>would follow through with a reasonable system for an
]>individual like me.  I'd gladly pay >$30 (but <$995)
]>right now just for someone to help me get through
]>the RH installation for my notebook computer.

Actually I have found that I have gotten a very good support package at
a very reasonable price. It was called Newsgroup. I posted my problems
even in this very group and lo and behold I got help
Now it was not certain, and sometimes I had to separate the wheat from
some chaff, but it worked.

So, Have you tried to istall it? What troubles did you have? Perhaps
someone here can help.

Post by Steph » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>My opinion is that if the millions of Linux users out there each
>"dropped $100 in the hat," there would be hundreds of millions of
>dollars available to pay to get peoples' time to improve some of these
>things to where people wish they might be.  And those that aren't
>*trying* to do something to help certainly aren't helping...

I agree. I want to pay for GOOD software. I sure don't expect free stuff to
be bug free and would gladly pay for stuff that works. I bought the redhat
5.2 set and had it running in a couple of hours... well worth the $40...
People (including me) don't work for nothing..

      Stephe

My * web page.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Villy Kru » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
>sent off the following to Red Hat support:
>    I don't want a CD or printed manual, but I do
>    want to support Red Hat and I do want to know
>    how to install 5.2 with an IBM Home & Away
>    adapter listed in
>     http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-15.h...

>    Is there a way that I can just pay for support
>    and get the answer immediately?

Actually part of redhat install support is providing the manual.
Alone the FAQ sections answers a lot of the most common redhat questions
posted to these newsgroups.

Villy

Post by Michael Pow » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Post by Geoff Alls » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

<tirade deleted>

On the assumption that this is a genuine request for help and not just a
troll:

If you've done a full RH 5.2 install on your laptop, pcmcia support should
be there.  Looking in /etc/pcmcia/config, you should find your IBM Home &
Away card listed.  Have you installed the card and rebooted since doing
the RH install??  Next time you do, look in /var/run/stab to confirm which
pcmcia cards were detected.  The card should be listed...

If you get that far, you should be in business.  If not, post again with a
subject line more apropo to the problem.

geoff

Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Post by Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[Snip...Re: newsgroup utility in solving *Linux* problems...]

|> Of course, matters would be helped if more people would at least make
|> an attempt to solve their own problems before coming here.  That would
|> cut some of the chaff & make it possible to actually find the answers
|> posted to your questions.

[Snip...]

It would help immensely as well for interminable "discussion" of political
folly, religious crusades, commercial intrusions, judicial precedent, life
styles, automotive safety, alien *s, divorce protocols, industrial
safety, and technomusic (did I miss anybody?) be taken to relevant forums.

Everybody: are you here to help, harass, or hear yourself yap?

Folks, AFAIK, the group is "comp.os.linux.misc" so like Duh...

Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens)     ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **

1. As antispam, I have completely disabled my "adam" email account.
2. Please vent inconvenience at *promo and their Satanic spawn.
3. You might try finding (wyrd) at ti, dotted with com. NO UCE/UBE.
4. I detest UCE/UBE. I support CAUCE; http://www.veryComputer.com/ HR 1748.

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions alone and not Raytheon TI Systems.

Post by Marti » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
>sent off the following to Red Hat support:
>        I don't want a CD or printed manual, but I do
>        want to support Red Hat and I do want to know
>        how to install 5.2 with an IBM Home & Away
>        adapter listed in

> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-15.h....
>11

>        Is there a way that I can just pay for support
>        and get the answer immediately?

>The response was
>        There are several support packages available.  Please see the complete
>        listing/descriptions at www.redhat.com/prodcat.phtml/Support+Products.

>Take a look at those support packages.  They range
>from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
>I was wanting.  Thanks a lot, Red Hat.  (I suspect
>that even if I paid the $995, they'd refuse to
>give me support until snail mail delivers the
>registration number.)

>So...I tried ordering the Red Hat Linux/Intel
>package from Red Hat.  I told the person that I
>didn't really want the package, I just wanted the
>registration number.  No dice.  I'd have to wait
>to receive the box.

>A lot of people talk about making money by providing
>Linux support.  It sure would be nice if someone
>would follow through with a reasonable system for an
>individual like me.  I'd gladly pay >$30 (but <$995)
>right now just for someone to help me get through
>the RH installation for my notebook computer.

>--kyler

If you purchase the RedHat boxed set - which doesn't cost much more than $30 -
you get about one month's installation support included - seems to me that
your problem should fall within that scope...

Martin

Post by Sandy Edward » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> >I've been having problems installing Red Hat, so I
> >sent off the following to Red Hat support:
> >        I don't want a CD or printed manual, but I do
> >        want to support Red Hat and I do want to know
> >        how to install 5.2 with an IBM Home & Away
> >        adapter listed in

> > http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-15.h....
> >11

> >        Is there a way that I can just pay for support
> >        and get the answer immediately?

> >The response was
> >        There are several support packages available.  Please see the complete
> >        listing/descriptions at www.redhat.com/prodcat.phtml/Support+Products.

> >Take a look at those support packages.  They range
> >from $995 to $60,000.  Yeah, that's *exactly* what
> >I was wanting.  Thanks a lot, Red Hat.  (I suspect
> >that even if I paid the $995, they'd refuse to
> >give me support until snail mail delivers the
> >registration number.)

> >So...I tried ordering the Red Hat Linux/Intel
> >package from Red Hat.  I told the person that I
> >didn't really want the package, I just wanted the
> >registration number.  No dice.  I'd have to wait
> >to receive the box.

> >A lot of people talk about making money by providing
> >Linux support.  It sure would be nice if someone
> >would follow through with a reasonable system for an
> >individual like me.  I'd gladly pay >$30 (but <$995)
> >right now just for someone to help me get through
> >the RH installation for my notebook computer.

> >--kyler

> If you purchase the RedHat boxed set - which doesn't cost much more than $30 -
> you get about one month's installation support included - seems to me that
> your problem should fall within that scope...

> Martin

Yeah, I've had that support :-(
You email them and then they email you to check the faq.  In fact, I
never did get an answer, I finally found it on a newsgroup.  Some
support!
--

"Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm."
          Publilius Syrus (first century B.C.), Maxim 358

1. IBM Far & Away card - was: Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

Where did you get the wild idea that it was a
request for help?  At what point did I request
help?

The closest I came was mentioning that I'm
willing to pay for support.

As I said originally:
        [...] I do want to know how to install
        5.2 with an IBM Home & Away

If I could do a "full RH 5.2 install" then I
wouldn't have this problem.

The "problem" remains the same.  Red Hat does
not provide "boxed distribution" level support
without all of the inconvenience and waste of
purchasing a boxed distribution.

(The problem that prompted this, however, has
been solved.  Hitachi Traveler users should
change the address of their PCMCIA adapters
before trying to install Red Hat Linux.  I
figured that out on my own...after tracking
down and purchasing a Red Hat door stop.  Now
to see if I can keep it from crashing when I
shut the lid...)

--kyler

2. ftp login incorrect

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. Dell Latitude 33CX vs. Linux: prior art?

5. Linux's sense of humor

6. ld failure with fly8

7. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

8. LILO and NT

9. Red Hat trouble which makes no sense

10. Sick of Upgrading? (Humour)

11. Jesus sense of Humor

12. Some people have no sense of humor!

13. Help supported NIC cards don't work on Red Hat 7.0