Install HP Tape Drive on RedHat 6.1

Post by <stav.. » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone help with specific steps on how to istall (configure) an HP
DAT24 4mm SCSI tape drive on RedHat Linux 6.0?
I tried using MAKEDEV utility but no luck.

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone help with specific steps on how to istall (configure) an HP
> DAT24 4mm SCSI tape drive on RedHat Linux 6.0?
> I tried using MAKEDEV utility but no luck.

First, make sure your SCSI adapter and the drive are being recognized
at boot up by looking in /var/log/dmesg.  If they're not, check the physical
connections.  Second (well, really first as well), make sure you've
got SCSI support compiled (either as a module or into your kernel).  If
you're all set on both of those counts (and the modules are being loaded,
should your support be compiled that way), then your tape drive should
be accessible through /dev/st0 (rewinding tape device) and /dev/nst0
(non-rewinding).  To talk to the drive, look at the man page for 'mt',
part of the mt-st package.  To put stuff on it, look at the man
pages for any of dump, cpio, tar, etc...

Oh, and you'll probably want to get newer versions of some of those
utilities (especially mt-st and dump).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Post by Koos Po » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone help with specific steps on how to istall (configure) an HP
> DAT24 4mm SCSI tape drive on RedHat Linux 6.0?
> I tried using MAKEDEV utility but no luck.

I would be very surprised if you have to configure anything at all. Do you
have a /dev/st0 device? That's your tapedrive. You can tar/cpio/... right onto
/dev/st0

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol                          T: +31 20 3116122
Systems Administrator             F: +31 20 3116200

Amsterdam                         PGP public key available

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone help with specific steps on how to istall (configure) an HP
> DAT24 4mm SCSI tape drive on RedHat Linux 6.0?
> I tried using MAKEDEV utility but no luck.

> --

You should have devices /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 without doing
anything.   Are you sure they aren't there?

With the generic kernel, you also need an appropriate alias
statement in /etc/conf.modules.   One of mine says
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
for an Adaptec SCSI card.  You would need the appropriate card
for you SCSI card.

1. How to install tape drive in RedHat 6.1?

Hi gang;
I am trying to install a Colorado 120 in a redhat 6.1 pc via the floppy
controller.
I can't find the GUI to add kernel modules. And doing make config gives
me the error "make: ***No rule to make target 'config'. Stop.
Boy, anyone know that good old GUI kernel trick?
I can get the " Kernel Configurator " from the control panel, but I
can't find the ftape module?
Any Tricks?
Thanks in Advance
jpd

2. calculation of performance (using iptables)

3. Sony SDT-5000 Tape Drive on Redhat 6.1

4. Solaris 2.6 on Sun 690 server

5. Install PCMCIA SCSI CD-WRITER HP-M820e for portables (Linux RedHat 6.1)

6. Disk activity blocking serial interrupts (Linux 1.1.81 -> 1.1.90)

7. backoutpatch problems...

8. RedHat Linux 6.1 Install from Hard Drive

9. How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

10. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1

11. Tape Drive Support: HP c1533A DDS-2 SCSI TAPE DRIVE