Hint for WD HD users: Possible HD failures

Hint for WD HD users: Possible HD failures

Post by Rainer Echl » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello to everybody,

This message is intended for all users of large ( > 1GB ) WD HD. I just went through a major scare
when I switched on my LINUX box this evening. The HD (WD 1.6 GB) made a terrible noise and LINUX
would indicate that there is a HD problem. It couldn't read the HD when starting X. I tried to safe
as much as I could from my LINUX installation. Finally I went to the web and looked for the WD site
to check on Tech support. What I found was a posting saying that there seem to be problems with
large WD HD and some BIOS/motherboard versions (the mainly talk about ASUS, but mine is a UMBC)
possibly leading to catastrophic HD failure and that they offer a software upgrade for the drive
parameters to correct this problem. What you got to do is to download the software (it takes about
1 minute), then copy it to a floppy and execute the file from the DOS prompt. It should extract the
update software which you execute from the floppy to check each individual HD. The program is gonna
tell you then if an update is neccessary for you. Supposedly the update is not gonna affect the
data. Finally you can check the disk and verify that everything is fine.

Well, it seems to have my problem solved. I can boot cleanly and without noise again. Everything
seems to work fine again.

Just thought I post this message to make you aware of this existing problem (if you are not yet)
and contribute something to hopefully help.

Good luck

Rainer

Louisiana State University            |
Baton Rouge LA 70803                  |
   I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.
                                          [Calvin]
                 N' schoenen Tag wuensche ich.....

1. Hint for WD Hard disk users: HD failures

[...]

2. Newbie Kernel Config Question

3. HD Problem...Is it possible to fix HD to be able to mount it?

4. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 18 April 2001 NYLUG Meeting: David Sweet on KDE Development and Andamooka

5. Green HD (HD spindown simulator)....Is it possible?

6. xrdb prereqs

7. Possible HD Failure? kernel panic 03:05

8. telnet/ftp NOT DNS problem

9. Maxtor vs. WD HD?

10. fdisk and WD 1.2 HD

11. EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

12. HELP: partition problem with WD 1.2G hd

13. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD