Win95 CD-R long filenames & mounts in ftp dir

Win95 CD-R long filenames & mounts in ftp dir

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

RedHat 5.0

1.  When I mount a CD that was apparently written in Win95, the
filenames are truncated 8.3 DOS style.  Is there a combination of
iso9660 mount options that would display the long Win95 filenames?  If
I smbmount the CD from a Win95 machine the long names are visible.

2.  I cannot symlink a cdrom to /home/ftp/pub because then anonymous
users cannot use it.  If I mount it directly in that directory (or
smbmount one there), it is visible, but when viewed in Netscape it
sort of munges the directory listing because there is no folder icon
in front of mounted drives and they are slid to the far left.  If the
drive is not mounted, the mounting point has a proper folder icon.

Not sure if this is because other directories are sgid ftp.  I got the
root:ftp ownership working for the mounts, but have not figured out a
mode to get the sgid bit set (mode=02555 does not do it).

Besides fstool being broken, cabaret does not seem to have a proper
file system type for cdrom (or maybe it is just for atapi).  It only
has isofs (such a module exists, but will not mount my cdrom) and I
have to manually enter iso9660 for the mount type in cabaret.  The
cdrom in this machine is an old Teac that uses sbpcd 0x230,1.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Post by Staffan Hamal » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> RedHat 5.0

> 1.  When I mount a CD that was apparently written in Win95, the
> filenames are truncated 8.3 DOS style.  Is there a combination of
> iso9660 mount options that would display the long Win95 filenames?  If

That's because of the Joliet system windoze boxes use. There is, at
least on the kernel shiped with RH5.1, an option for joliet in the
kernel config. When that is used, windoze CD's function just as
ordinary ISO9660+Rockridge CD's.

There's also a Joliet patch available for older kernels, but as I'm
not sure of which version that came with RH5.0, I can't tell for
sure. Someone else?

Post by Chris Bro » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> RedHat 5.0

> 1.  When I mount a CD that was apparently written in Win95, the
> filenames are truncated 8.3 DOS style.  Is there a combination of
> iso9660 mount options that would display the long Win95 filenames?  If
> I smbmount the CD from a Win95 machine the long names are visible.

You need to have VFAT and NLS_ISO8859_1 support compiled into your kernel.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.

Win95 CD-R long filenames & mounts in ftp dir

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>> RedHat 5.0

>> 1.  When I mount a CD that was apparently written in Win95, the
>> filenames are truncated 8.3 DOS style.  Is there a combination of
>> iso9660 mount options that would display the long Win95 filenames?  If
>> I smbmount the CD from a Win95 machine the long names are visible.

> You need to have VFAT and NLS_ISO8859_1 support compiled into your kernel.

'Fraid not.  A CD with long filenames written from a Win95 application,
in which the LFNs are visible in Win95 but not in Linux, is written using
the Joliet filesystem, which is entirely separate from VFAT.  The user
needs a kernel that either includes Joliet support by default (like
2.0.34 or recent kernels in the 2.1.x series), or an older kernel patched
with Joliet support.  The ISO 8859-1 support will also be required (and
possibly some others), but that option is NOT linked to VFAT.  (FAT-32
also requires this, or similar options, but FAT-32 is not required for
Joliet, nor is Joliet required for FAT-32.  These are all included in the
same patch, but they don't all need to be compiled into the kernel or as
modules.)

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. How do you mount a Win95 partition so it supports long filenames?

My system is setup up as follows:
/dev/hda1 = primary dos/Win95
/dev/hda2<hda5> = extended dos/Win95
/dev/hda3 = primary Linux
/dev/hda4 = swap space

I can mount the dos partitions, but only with short filenames.  Please
help, I have files on the drives I need to transfer but cannot because of
the filename problem.
Thank you,
Josh Paul

2. kicked out

3. Help: Mount Win95 Drive w/ Long Filenames

4. Linux Questions from a Newbie

5. Win95/Solarisx86 mounting dos disk with long filenames

6. Smail & Taylor uucp bug

7. how to mount win95 long filenames disk in FREEBSD??

8. Staroffice Install script..

9. Linux & long filenames of Win95

10. long filenames unsupported on mounted cd's

11. I don't see long filenames on CD-ROM mounts

12. long filenames unsupported under mounted cd's

13. Mounting CD-ROM w/ long filenames