Corrupt passwd file

Post by Jürgen Exne » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, unfortunately I've gone and messed up the /etc/passwd file by joining
the
>first two lines into one.

>So now it looks something like:

>root:x:0:0:/bin/csh bin:x:1:1:/bin

>When I try to log in as root it tries to run the command "/bin/csh
>bin:x:1:1..." and fails to create a shell because that is a silly program
>name.

>Is there anyway around this? I can't find the original installation disks,
but
>could I use any Linux installation disk (eg redhat) to reboot the machine
into
>some sort of mode that would let me edit the passwd file to repair it?

This is very easy to fix.
Please check the Linux FAQ, question 6.11: "I have srewed up my system and
can't log in to fix it" or the several discussions about e.g. "I lost my
root password".

jue
--
Jrgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

1. Linux VIRUS Solved (corrupted passwd file)

An example local passwd file that came with the distribution of
sliplogin somehow corrupted my master /etc/passwd file, after
rebooting from my master boot disk, I succesfully mounted my
root hard drive partition under a temporary mounting point in
my directory structure, and examined the damage.  Hence, the
corrupted passwd file.  After correcting the entries, I had a
working system again.

Many, many thanks to all who responded...with everyone's help I
was back up in less than a few hours....

Thanks again.

Scott Wade

2. Hardware req for linux (redhat 5.1/5.0)

3. corrupt passwd file

4. SSA

5. Corrupt passwd files?

6. 3C509b driver

7. corrupt passwd file

8. sco 5.0.4 & merge & console

9. Corrupted passwd file woes

10. corrupt passwd file

11. Corrupted /etc/passwd file Cant Login!!!!!!

12. Passwd file corrupt Please Help