problems while booting Red Hat 6.0

Post by Bryce Thornto » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

I have been trying to install Red Hat Linux 6.0 for a long time now.  I
have an Ultra ATA 66 Hard Drive that caused a lot of problems.  Well, I
finally figured out how to make linux recognize my hard drive and got it
to install the files.  Now, when I go to boot up Linux it gives me the
following error.

 request-module[block-major-33]:Root fs not mounted
 VFS:Cannot open root device 21:05
 Kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 21:05

I assume fs is referring to file system.  I don't know what the rest of
the message is talking about.  I am new to linux and would LOVE to get it
running as soon as possible.  Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Bryce Thornton

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

> I have been trying to install Red Hat Linux 6.0 for a long time now.  I
> have an Ultra ATA 66 Hard Drive that caused a lot of problems.  Well, I
> finally figured out how to make linux recognize my hard drive and got it
> to install the files.  Now, when I go to boot up Linux it gives me the
> following error.

>  request-module[block-major-33]:Root fs not mounted
>  VFS:Cannot open root device 21:05
>  Kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 21:05

> I assume fs is referring to file system.  I don't know what the rest of
> the message is talking about.  I am new to linux and would LOVE to get it
> running as soon as possible.  Any help would be appriciated.

> Thanks,
> Bryce Thornton

> --

I think something is still wrong because it is looking for
the root file system on /dev/sgf, whatever that is.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. stuck scritpting "at"

3. Trouble Booting Red Hat 6.0

4. Allchin backtracks, now likes open source

5. CRC error in Red Hat Linux 6.0 LILO Boot.

6. VWare 3.0 on FreeBSD?

7. Adding Fonts to X in Red Hat 6.0 / Mandrake 6.0

8. Port forwarding

9. CRC error in Red Hat Linux 6.0 LILO Boot.

10. Error while booting Red Hat 6.0

11. linux will not boot---Red Hat 6.0

12. Installing RealProducer Plus 6.0 in Red Hat Linux 6.0

13. Red Hat 6.0 doesn't boot!