Q: How to mount an MSDOS partition so that ordinary users may write?

Q: How to mount an MSDOS partition so that ordinary users may write?

Post by Borre 'Wouse' Sande » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to know if it is possible to mount MSDOS partitions in such a
way that ordinary users can write to that disk. Right now only root
has write rights. A similar problem occurs with the NTFS (read only)
partitions: only root can read and I'd like ordinary users to be
allowed to read as well. Constructive suggestions would be greatly
appreciated...

Regards,
Borre

Q: How to mount an MSDOS partition so that ordinary users may write?

Post by Bart Haezele » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to know if it is possible to mount MSDOS partitions in such a
>way that ordinary users can write to that disk. Right now only root
>has write rights. A similar problem occurs with the NTFS (read only)
>partitions: only root can read and I'd like ordinary users to be
>allowed to read as well. Constructive suggestions would be greatly
>appreciated...
>Regards,
>Borre

In the /etc/fstab
/dev/hda1       /dosc           msdos           umask=000       1       1

or via mount
mount -t msdos -o umask=000 /dev/hda1 /dosc

Post by Henrik Storn » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to know if it is possible to mount MSDOS partitions in such a
>way that ordinary users can write to that disk. Right now only root
>has write rights.

Add the 'umask=000' option to the mount command or the /etc/fstab
entry. On my own system I have:
/dev/hda1 /dosc vfat  noauto,user,conv=binary,umask=000 0 0

The 'noauto,user' is so that it isn't mounted at boot-up, but
can be mounted by anyone, simply with 'mount /dosc'

--
Henrik Storner                     | "Life is like a 10 speed bicycle.

http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/ |                        C. Schultz

1. Writing to Windows Partition as Ordinary User

I cannot write to a Windows partition as an ordinary user, only as root.
I want all users to be able to write to it. What must I do?

The partition is /dev/hdc6 and it is mounted read/write on /mnt/win.
Permissions of /mnt/win are rwxr-xr-x and I cannot change them.
Suid also does not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rik
--
The rumblynge of a fart, and every soun,
Nis but of eir reverberacioun[...]

                                   -- Geoffrey Chaucer

2. rc.conf and kernel_Securitylevel problem

3. Mounting a dos filesystem so that normal users may write to it???

4. Adaptec 2920 SCSI Controller ??

5. read/write permission for users on MSDOS partition?

6. Khoros help wanted

7. msdos partition and user write permissions

8. Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address

9. Giving users write access to msdos partition?

10. mount MSDOS partitions group=users, umask=002 ?

11. probs mounting msdos partition rw as normal user

12. Mounting MSDOS partition inside of an extended partition.

13. Can't mount ext2 partition with user read/write