Why does Gettyps change port permission?

Why does Gettyps change port permission?

Post by Paul Wickha » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi why does getty ps change the port permission of a serial port and how can
I change this?

Regards

Paul Wickham

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

: Hi why does getty ps change the port permission of a serial port and how can
: I change this?

Read the manual perhaps? From mgetty.config:

   #  use these options to make the /dev/tty-device owned by "uucp.uucp"
   #  and mode "rw-rw-r--" (0664). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
   port-owner uucp
   port-group uucp
   port-mode 0664

   #  use these options to make incoming faxes owned by "root.uucp"
   #  and mode "rw-r-----" (0640). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
   #fax-owner root
   #fax-group uucp
   #fax-mode 0640

Peter

Why does Gettyps change port permission?

Post by Paul Wickha » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Ummmm... yeah, but I am using getty ps as I can't figure out how to stop
mgetty trying to init the modem every few minutes, and I want to use auto
answer on the modem....

Paul

> : Hi why does getty ps change the port permission of a serial port and how
can
> : I change this?

> Read the manual perhaps? From mgetty.config:

>    #  use these options to make the /dev/tty-device owned by "uucp.uucp"
>    #  and mode "rw-rw-r--" (0664). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
>    port-owner uucp
>    port-group uucp
>    port-mode 0664

>    #  use these options to make incoming faxes owned by "root.uucp"
>    #  and mode "rw-r-----" (0640). *LEADING ZERO NEEDED!*
>    #fax-owner root
>    #fax-group uucp
>    #fax-mode 0640

> Peter

Why does Gettyps change port permission?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

: Ummmm... yeah, but I am using getty ps as I can't figure out how to stop

Sorry, I cancelled this post as soon as I noticed that you were using
getty_ps and mot mgetty. It shouldn't have got to you. I don't know
why I read mgetty. Perhaps because a dim memory tells me that mgetty
sprang from the loins of getty_ps (and/or ugetty).

: mgetty trying to init the modem every few minutes, and I want to use auto
: answer on the modem....

No, you really, really don't.

The modem should not be in autoanswer mode. The getty's job is to put
it into answer mode when it receives a ring on the line, if it's configured
to answer.

You should be using mgetty to control the modem. It's infinitely
better. I wasn't aware that getty_ps was even maintained these days. Is
it ... hmmm?

Peter