I am studying a RHCE book and have some experience using linux, but I
run into a lot of new things.
Recently I was reading about disk quotas and I understand how it works,
but I cannot seem to get it to work on my system.
1. I have only two partitions: / and swap. I do have directories under /
though like /home, /bin ect...
2. I did not reconfigure the kernel because I am running RedHat 7.1 and
read that recent versions should have it setup for quotas already.
3. I ran the following all as root.
4. I checked to make sure the quota package was installed by runing the
command "rpm -qi quota".
5. I specified that / should support disk quotas by modifying
/etc/fstab. My / line in /etc/fstab looks like this:
LABEL=/ / ext2
defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1
6. I then remounted the partition by running the command "mount -o
7. Now is when I run into trouble according to how I am learning to
setup disk quotas. I try to establish quota files by running "quotacheck
-avug". I tried running it in / directory and also in /home, but I do
not get the quota.user and quota.group files I am expecting.
8. Since I could not get it working from command line I tried using
linuxconf. I opened linuxconf and went to Config / Users accounts /
Normal / User accounts. I then opened User information window and there
was a Disk quota tab for that user. I can click that and configure
quotas for that user and accept the changes without any problem, but I
still cannot find the quota.user and quota.group files.
I am having trouble moving on in my studying because of this. Can
someone explain what I am doing wrong? Or is it just that I cannot
create a disk quota on the / partition? Thanks!
p.s. This is my second try at getting help with this. I tried to get
the comp.os.linux.setup group, but got no response. Please help...