Disk quota problem - second try for help.

Disk quota problem - second try for help.

Post by cybernu » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:18:20

I am studying a RHCE book and have some experience using linux, but I
run into a lot of new things.

Recently I was reading about disk quotas and I understand how it works,
but I cannot seem to get it to work on my system.

1. I have only two partitions: / and swap. I do have directories under /

though like /home, /bin ect...

2. I did not reconfigure the kernel because I am running RedHat 7.1 and
read that recent versions should have it setup for quotas already.

3. I ran the following all as root.

4. I checked to make sure the quota package was installed by runing the
command "rpm -qi quota".

5. I specified that / should support disk quotas by modifying
/etc/fstab. My / line in /etc/fstab looks like this:
        LABEL=/         /          ext2
defaults,usrquota,grpquota         1 1

6. I then remounted the partition by running the command "mount -o
remount /"

7. Now is when I run into trouble according to how I am learning to
setup disk quotas. I try to establish quota files by running "quotacheck

-avug". I tried running it in / directory and also in /home, but I do
not get the quota.user and quota.group files I am expecting.

8. Since I could not get it working from command line I tried using
linuxconf. I opened linuxconf and went to Config / Users accounts /
Normal / User accounts. I then opened User information window and there
was a Disk quota tab for that user. I can click that and configure
quotas for that user and accept the changes without any problem, but I
still cannot find the quota.user and quota.group files.

I am having trouble moving on in my studying because of this. Can
someone explain what I am doing wrong? Or is it just that I cannot
create a disk quota on the / partition? Thanks!

p.s. This is my second try at getting help with this. I tried to get
help from
the comp.os.linux.setup group, but got no response. Please help...

Disk quota problem - second try for help.

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:30:58

You need to run quotacheck with u and g flags to create the quota.* files.
For ease, you could do all this through linuxconf, but that will hide the
process from you.

man quotacheck.

> I am studying a RHCE book and have some experience using linux, but I
> run into a lot of new things.

> Recently I was reading about disk quotas and I understand how it works,
> but I cannot seem to get it to work on my system.

> 1. I have only two partitions: / and swap. I do have directories under /

> though like /home, /bin ect...

> 2. I did not reconfigure the kernel because I am running RedHat 7.1 and
> read that recent versions should have it setup for quotas already.

> 3. I ran the following all as root.

> 4. I checked to make sure the quota package was installed by runing the
> command "rpm -qi quota".

> 5. I specified that / should support disk quotas by modifying
> /etc/fstab. My / line in /etc/fstab looks like this:
>         LABEL=/         /          ext2
> defaults,usrquota,grpquota         1 1

> 6. I then remounted the partition by running the command "mount -o
> remount /"

> 7. Now is when I run into trouble according to how I am learning to
> setup disk quotas. I try to establish quota files by running "quotacheck

> -avug". I tried running it in / directory and also in /home, but I do
> not get the quota.user and quota.group files I am expecting.

> 8. Since I could not get it working from command line I tried using
> linuxconf. I opened linuxconf and went to Config / Users accounts /
> Normal / User accounts. I then opened User information window and there
> was a Disk quota tab for that user. I can click that and configure
> quotas for that user and accept the changes without any problem, but I
> still cannot find the quota.user and quota.group files.

> I am having trouble moving on in my studying because of this. Can
> someone explain what I am doing wrong? Or is it just that I cannot
> create a disk quota on the / partition? Thanks!

> p.s. This is my second try at getting help with this. I tried to get
> help from
> the comp.os.linux.setup group, but got no response. Please help...

Disk quota problem - second try for help.

Post by cybernu » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:23:02

Thanks for the reply!

Actully  I did do quota check with those arguments. The format of the page
made them move down 2 lines in my post. If you notice down under 7. before 8.
I mentioned that I ran "quotacheck -avug". Sorry for the confusion...

Any other ideas? I'll check the man page in the mean time...

> You need to run quotacheck with u and g flags to create the quota.* files.
> For ease, you could do all this through linuxconf, but that will hide the
> process from you.

> man quotacheck.

> > I am studying a RHCE book and have some experience using linux, but I
> > run into a lot of new things.

> > Recently I was reading about disk quotas and I understand how it works,
> > but I cannot seem to get it to work on my system.

> > 1. I have only two partitions: / and swap. I do have directories under /

> > though like /home, /bin ect...

> > 2. I did not reconfigure the kernel because I am running RedHat 7.1 and
> > read that recent versions should have it setup for quotas already.

> > 3. I ran the following all as root.

> > 4. I checked to make sure the quota package was installed by runing the
> > command "rpm -qi quota".

> > 5. I specified that / should support disk quotas by modifying
> > /etc/fstab. My / line in /etc/fstab looks like this:
> >         LABEL=/         /          ext2
> > defaults,usrquota,grpquota         1 1

> > 6. I then remounted the partition by running the command "mount -o
> > remount /"

> > 7. Now is when I run into trouble according to how I am learning to
> > setup disk quotas. I try to establish quota files by running "quotacheck

> > -avug". I tried running it in / directory and also in /home, but I do
> > not get the quota.user and quota.group files I am expecting.

> > 8. Since I could not get it working from command line I tried using
> > linuxconf. I opened linuxconf and went to Config / Users accounts /
> > Normal / User accounts. I then opened User information window and there
> > was a Disk quota tab for that user. I can click that and configure
> > quotas for that user and accept the changes without any problem, but I
> > still cannot find the quota.user and quota.group files.

> > I am having trouble moving on in my studying because of this. Can
> > someone explain what I am doing wrong? Or is it just that I cannot
> > create a disk quota on the / partition? Thanks!

> > p.s. This is my second try at getting help with this. I tried to get
> > help from
> > the comp.os.linux.setup group, but got no response. Please help...

Disk quota problem - second try for help.

Post by Jef » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 08:13:27

If you build a new kernel for your redhat 7.1 system you need to
remove quota-3 and install quota-2.  The normal (non-redhat) kernels
still use quota.user and quota.group and quota-2 tools.

So, under redhat 7.1, if you install a non-redhat built kernel,
uninstall quota-3, install quota-2 (I used quota-2.00pre3-7.i386.rpm
from redhat 7.0 i think).

After that start over and setup quotas as normal.  Get a good nights
sleep for once.