Cyrillic fonts in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Post by Tommi H?yn?l?nm » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:48:10

How can I use cyrillic fonts in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (with X Windows)?
I have tried to follow the instructions in Cyrillic HOWTO, but they do
not work.

    - Tommi -

Post by Victor Wagn » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:06:37

 : How can I use cyrillic fonts in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (with X
 Windows)?
 : I have tried to follow the instructions in Cyrillic HOWTO, but they do
 : not work.

Cyrillic HOWTO is way outdated. At least official one.
There is newer version, but it exists only on Russian language.

Realy, you don-t need to do something special to use cyrillic fonts -
just install xfonts-cyrillic package, make sure that it is listed in
FontPath in your XF86Config, or in font server config, and rehash
font path.

After that some apps, such as Netscape or anythinh written using
Tk8.2 would be able to show cyrillic characters, provided that they
would find out that input is cyrillic.

If you want to input cyrillic things are a bit more complicated.
You need to start X application with correct cyrillic (russian,
bolgarian, serbian) locale, and have Xkb layout which contain cyrillic.

Personally I prefer to disable Xkb altogether and use xruskb package
included in Debian. This thing would work even on oldish hardware X
terminals which do not know about xkb. Note that with modern xlib
(>=3.3.6-10) you need to use layout jcuken-cyr or qwerty-cyr, which
generates proper X keycodes for cyrillic, rather than 8-bit character
codes in some cyrillic encoding (as described in cyrillic howto)
 :     - Tommi -

--
It's all magic.  :-)

1. Some Questions About Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Hi,

Recently I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 in my computer, I have some
questions to ask:

1. How can I disable the xdm which is started automatically each time the
machine boots up? I have tried to modify the /etc/inittab file. But unlike
Redhat 6.2, which I can choose my runtime level by just changing the line
id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault, I couldn't change the runtime level
even I modified the line... What's the problem?

2. During the installation, I have chosen PPPoE packages to install. But how
can I configure the connection setting and how to startup the service?

3. After I installed GNOME, I found that it's not as good as KDE and I would
like to install KDE on my X11. How to change the default window manager to
KDE?

Regards,
Jason

2. Configuring ISA SB16

3. KDE for Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

4. startup service

5. Nedeed Help with Elsa Gladiac 311 on Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r2

6. Logging in remotely in reverse?

7. Debian GNU/Linux upgrade to Debian GNU/Hurd???

8. Risc 6000 Monitor

9. problems with linux resolver in debian 2.2 and glibc 2.2

10. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

11. ? does linux support cyrillic fonts

12. Cyrillic Fonts for Linux ?

13. Cyrillic Fonts for X11R6 for Linux