Mystery Chip...AMD

Post by Piotr Trzeciak C » Sat, 05 Nov 1994 00:06:55

That's true, but you can do the same thing (or almost) with Intel...
I have Intel 486DX2/66MHz and Opti motherboard with AMI bios. It has 3 jumpers
which set up the speed for the board. For 486/66MHz it is set up for 33MHz
(because the clock is doubled). It has however three more settings: 25, 40 and 50.
I have it set for 40MHz, and my processor works as 80 MHz, giving about 20-25%
performance increase ove original 66Mhz. True, it gets a bit hot, but with a
heat sink it does not create any problems. I'm thinking about 100MHz already!

1. Mystery Chip...AMD

While responding to an add inteh local paper for a $99 486 upgrade it came
to light that this upgrade was a quote "486/66 Mhz" which was a "faster chip and less expensive than the i486DX2-66". This propted my query on what the hell
this chip was and the response was AMD. I was not aware of this chip. I was
under the impression that all the 66's 75's 100's etc (non-Pentium) were
overclocked 33 Mhz chips. Does a 'real' 66 Mhz chip exist? If so (and I dont'
think so" do traditional mother boards ( ie that could handle a DX2) support
this chip. And Finally, if this is true is it compatble and reliable.

INquiring minds want to know!! ;-))
Thanks...Colin
--
Colin P. Ryan
Ceramic Engineer and Computer Hobbyist           LINUX

2. msg BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so (Slackware3.4+glibc2.06)

3. Mystery chip...AMD

4. SCSI errors on bootup (help!)

5. Chips & Tech 65550 driver mystery

6. Python tutorial in Toronto

7. Kernel problems with AMD chips?

8. Multiple /etc directories

9. Zeos - AMD onboard SCSI II chip -- supported???

10. AMD Chips w/ Linux

11. Gravis cards with new AMD chip

12. Zeos/AMD-SCSI chip support?

13. Running linux on an AMD chip.