Question: many-channels sound recording

Post by Michel Bardiau » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for a sound board allowing simultaneous recording of
at least 4 mono channels (and with Linux support, of course).
Browsing the FAQs, HOWTOs, etc... has
so far produced only 2 results: it can't be done with any of the
SoundBlaster models from CreativeLabs; and I also found a reference to
something called a PAS16 board that *seems* (from context) to support
quadra mode, but I can't find the vendor's web site.

Anyone got any info? TIA.
--
Michel Bardiaux
E-mail Cc of replies welcome

1. Sound Recording question

When selecting 'Line' as recording source, how can one mute the Line output
without muting the input while still having access to the other audio
sources?

I feel a slap upside the head coming my way, but:

Mixer settings in windoze are split into Recording and Playback sections.
With this I am able to record (recording) Line while muting the (playback)
Line,
and don't need to listen to the input while recording (but can listen to,
say,
winamp instead).
 My hardware (an onboard VIA sound chip) is therefore capable of doing this.

For some reason I am unable to achieve the same thing with either kmix or
aumix in RH8.0.  The only source that records is 'Line' and the only source
that affects the output also seems to be 'Line'.  Muting the output also
mutes
the input!  DOH!

If I'm being unusually dim please enlighten me and let me know if you owe
me that head-slap.

best to yall
mike

2. 2 Network cards help??

3. /dev/audio questions: sound recording?

4. rom14, rom14.500, rom22.500

5. Several sound questions (real audio, windows media, recording, etc.)

6. Linux article in "Technolog", and a New Mosaic Info Server

7. New: VIA 8235 rear channel playback on front channels?

8. calculation server advise requested

9. Video Capture for Stereo Vision : A 2-channel or two 1-channel ?

10. Change volume on one channel in a stereo stream and not affect the other channel

11. Raid 0+1 and 2 channel 3200s controller - How to best utilize 2 channels ?

12. SB_PRO does not sound like 4W/channel..

13. Sound card troubles: "play interrupt timeout, channel dead"