RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode

RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode

Post by Jim Davi » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all -

I'm running RedHat 6.2.1.  After a one unremarkable reboot, I lost access to
the console.  It prints the login prompt on the screen, but the keyboard and
mouse are non-responsive.  I can login via the network.  I can also use the
console if I remotely take the system into single user mode.  So, that tells
me the hardware works, and that a getty is started for the console when it
goes to multiuser (because a login prompt is printed).  Any thoughts?  I'm
stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Davis

RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode

Post by Michiel van Leenin » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Jim,

I had the same thing. I read somewhere this could be caused by a running
GPM, but i had no gpm running. Even so, starting and then stopping gpm
(ie. through telnet) did the trick.

Hope this helps!

--

Groeten,
Michiel van Leening

RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode

Post by Jim Davi » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Yep - that did the trick!!  I just killed GPM and regained the ability to
login.

Thanks a bunch!

Jim

>Hi Jim,

>I had the same thing. I read somewhere this could be caused by a running
>GPM, but i had no gpm running. Even so, starting and then stopping gpm
>(ie. through telnet) did the trick.

>Hope this helps!

>> Hi all -

>> I'm running RedHat 6.2.1.  After a one unremarkable reboot, I lost access
>> the console.  It prints the login prompt on the screen, but the keyboard
and
>> mouse are non-responsive.  I can login via the network.  I can also use
the
>> console if I remotely take the system into single user mode.  So, that
tells
>> me the hardware works, and that a getty is started for the console when
it
>> goes to multiuser (because a login prompt is printed).  Any thoughts?
I'm
>> stumped.

>> Thanks in advance!

>> Jim Davis

>--

>Groeten,
>Michiel van Leening
>        Michiel van Leening - Internet Application Developer
>Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old
>ones.

1. getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping;but in multi-user mode only

I am connected via serial line to an embedded netBSD 1.5 box with no
X11/XDM. My /etc/ttys file has only one line in it
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200"         vt100   on secure

When I come up in single user mode, I get a shell prompt right away.
When I come up in Multi-user mode, init says "getty repeating too
quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping "

Why would Multi-user mode make a difference?
(I know that I am spewing stuff out to the console the whole time the
os is coming up, I know that could cause getty to hang up? )

2. Glibc2 compilation on Debian Linux 2.0.33

3. Can't login in runlevel 3 (Redhat Multiuser mode)

4. Netmask question

5. Can't boot into single user mode OR multiuser mode!

6. fbsd terminal in a Windows session?

7. Losing graphics mode when switching consoles?

8. SB Vibra and linux?

9. Lost console mode cursor - how to recover

10. Lost Cursor in console mode - how to recover

11. Can't boot into multiuser mode

12. e2fsck in multiuser mode