How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by Peter Granro » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone knows how I can hide alter the entry at  ORGANIZATION so that
> my origin is made unknown. i.e which sofeware does that?
> What precaution should I take before posting news if I want to remain
> anonoymous.?

That depends on what newsreader you use. In Tin you create a file called
organization in the $HOME/.tin directory which content is the organization
name you want others to see. In netscape communicator, go to preferences -->
Mail & Groups --> Identity, and there you'll find an input field called
organization.

I don't know about other newsreaders though

+        Peter Granroth        +  Microsoft is not the answer +

+ WWW:  http://193.10.242.45   +  The answer is NO            +

Post by John E » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>Anyone knows how I can hide alter the entry at  ORGANIZATION so that
>my origin is made unknown. i.e which sofeware does that?
>What precaution should I take before posting news if I want to remain
>anonoymous.?

Check out a program called Private Idaho.  It runs with PGP
(encryption) and you can send a message through multiple servers
in different countries.

People can respond to you, but your identity is confidential, provided

at least one of the servers keeps its word to keep you ananomyous.

I have not used it yet, but perhaps you can find a way to use it to
post to news groups.  It is used all the time for email, I'm told.

John

How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by Kelly May » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

First and foremost, change your email address....add the word nospam or
something that could easily be removed manually by someone who wants to
respond directly to you.  Spam people will not go to the trouble to
individually alter email addresses.

Kelly.
(who should take his own advise)

> Anyone knows how I can hide alter the entry at  ORGANIZATION so that
> my origin is made unknown. i.e which sofeware does that?
> What precaution should I take before posting news if I want to remain
> anonoymous.?

How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by Peter Granro » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

on Thu, 28 May 1998 13:47:33 -0500, Kelly Mayo shared with us the following words of wisdom:

Quote:> First and foremost, change your email address....add the word nospam or
> something that could easily be removed manually by someone who wants to
> respond directly to you.  Spam people will not go to the trouble to
> individually alter email addresses.

Does anyone how to accomplish this in tin newsreader?

+        Peter Granroth        +  Microsoft is not the answer +

+ WWW:  http://193.10.242.45   +  The answer is NO            +

How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by Richar » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

What does hide alter the entry at ORGANIZATION Mean??

| First and foremost, change your email address....add the word nospam or
| something that could easily be removed manually by someone who wants to
| respond directly to you.  Spam people will not go to the trouble to
| individually alter email addresses.
|
| Kelly.
| (who should take his own advise)
|

| > Anyone knows how I can hide alter the entry at  ORGANIZATION so that
| > my origin is made unknown. i.e which sofeware does that?
| > What precaution should I take before posting news if I want to remain
| > anonoymous.?

How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by David Z. Maz » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Followups pointed to comp.os.linux.misc, if only for the sake of
reducing grauitous newsgroup spammage.

KM> First and foremost, change your email address....add the word
KM> nospam or something that could easily be removed manually by
KM> someone who wants to respond directly to you.  Spam people will
KM> not go to the trouble to individually alter email addresses.

Okay, let's brush up on basic USENET nettiquette here:

-- Occasionally people like to respond to posters in person, rather
   than on the newsgroup.  Changing your mail address in this way
   means that people who want to reply personally can't (1).  This is
   rude to the rest of the USENET community; you shouldn't do it (2).

-- Messages should be posted to newsgroups in which they are relevant,
   and should generally not be cross-posted without good reason IMO.

-- There are ways of dealing with UCE without annoying the rest of the
   Internet in the process.  Since you posted to a Linux newsgroup,
   I'm going to suggest you look at using procmail to sort through
   your mail for you.  I'll also suggest reading the tips in the Gnus
   manual about spam; while they're directed specifically towards Gnus
   users, it shouldn't be too much trouble to adapt this to procmail.
   See http://www.veryComputer.com/#SEC240.

(1) Yes, I could fix your address, particularly if you do something
    obvious.  But my reading of a domain name like, say,
    "nospam.mit.edu" is "I'm an MIT student, and I don't want to get
    mail."

(2) "From:" means "person who posted this".  Having an invalid address
    means "nobody posted this," but somebody obviously did.  An
    invalid From: line is therefore Just Wrong (TM).

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called

\_____________________________/

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> Followups pointed to comp.os.linux.misc, if only for the sake of
> reducing grauitous newsgroup spammage.

> KM> First and foremost, change your email address....add the word
> KM> nospam or something that could easily be removed manually by
> KM> someone who wants to respond directly to you.  Spam people will
> KM> not go to the trouble to individually alter email addresses.

> Okay, let's brush up on basic USENET nettiquette here:
> -- There are ways of dealing with UCE without annoying the rest of the
>    Internet in the process.  Since you posted to a Linux newsgroup,
>    I'm going to suggest you look at using procmail to sort through
>    your mail for you.  I'll also suggest reading the tips in the Gnus

This is a good point. I manage to kill almost all spam by trashing any
email that doesn't have my name on the Cc or Bcc headers (with
exceptions: there are a few domains, mailing lists, and people who are
on the 'don't trash me list' ). This nospam thing is really lame.

By the way, it's trivial to write a parser that pulls any string
containing spam from an email address (like a one liner in awk or perl)
. I don't know who the nospam crowd think they are trying to fool.

^[Dd]ono(va[nN])? *[Rr]ebbechi *$
        \*\*\* (WW)?Web-(WW)?Weaver \\
Project Independence -- Linux for the Masses
http://independence.dunadan.com

How do I hide IDENTITY on newsgroup?

Post by Jerry L. Bett » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

This is a test

> > Anyone knows how I can hide alter the entry at  ORGANIZATION so that
> > my origin is made unknown. i.e which sofeware does that?
> > What precaution should I take before posting news if I want to remain
> > anonoymous.?

> That depends on what newsreader you use. In Tin you create a file called
> organization in the $HOME/.tin directory which content is the organization
> name you want others to see. In netscape communicator, go to preferences -->
> Mail & Groups --> Identity, and there you'll find an input field called
> organization.

> I don't know about other newsreaders though

> --
> +        Peter Granroth        +  Microsoft is not the answer +

> + WWW:  http://193.10.242.45   +  The answer is NO            +

1. Can I hide my true identity using Pnews?

I read the man pages, and don't see a way to post using Pnews where my true
email address (which you can see above) isn't shown.  i'd love to put a
"nospam" or something in it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Please reply by email as well as the
follow up post.

Thanks,
David Caldarelli

2. Stupid question about Gnome

3. INN: How to hide the control newsgroups from users?

4. Reccomendations?

5. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

6. memory problem

7. Manipulating DOS Hid/Sys from linux

8. Locking primitives in RSM on Solaris 9?

9. how to hide files in dos ( not seen in windows)

10. How do i get rid of DOS hidden characters?

11. How to see dos-hidden-files?

12. How do I hide what am I doing from "w"?

13. How can I hide hidden files from anonymous ftpd user ?