Linux and async IO?

Post by jrd » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Apologies ahead of time if this is a dumb question, but I've pawed
through a bunch of source and doc and newsgroups, and haven't come up
with a definitive answer.

Does linux (2.0.30 or so) support async io?

I've got a bit app which does what amounts to multi-threading
internally.
The effect I want is to start reads and writes (other ops too, but
those serve for discussion) on handles, and have some kind of async
notification pop out at me when the operations complete.  A signal
would be ok, or a callback of some sort, or whatever.  I see hints of
async support, ie the O_NONBLOCK and FASYNC bits in file handle attrib
bits, but writing some little test programs, they don't appear to do
anything.

If anyone can point me at doc which explains how to make this kind
of thing work, or supply other hints, it would be much appreciated.

these groups.

Thanks in advance.

1. Async IO calls - Linux implementations?

I am attempting to port an application that uses asynchronous disk I/O
calls. It is currently implemented on Solaris and other platforms where
aioread/aiowrite/aiocancel/aiowait (solaris) and lio_listio() functions
are implmented.

Are there any implementations of async I/O for Linux 2.x?

Thanks!

Robert

2. trouble recognizing a 3com card

3. Async IO in Linux...

4. Help, can't mount /dev/sbpcd ?

5. Async IO in Linux and SGI's KAIO

6. linux with toshiba cable modem

7. Async IO in Linux...

8. IEEE1394+DV

9. Async IO in Linux?

10. More Oracle Async IO

11. async-io API registration for 2.5.29

12. Tuning Async IO