ATI 3D Xepression+

Post by Rich » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed Linux for the first time.  I'm now trying to configure
X-Windows using the Graphical Interface that comes with YaST.

The problem is with the gfx card.  If I select Mach64, I get the following
error message, "The Server required by your Card is not installed, Please
abort etc......"

I get a very similar error if I select SVGA (ie. not installed)

Problem is, I don't know how to install the appropriate server.

Help Appreciated

==============

If replying by email please remove the "*"'s from the reply address

Rich W

===============

ATI 3D Xepression+

Post by Ian R. Ha » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed Linux for the first time.  I'm now trying to configure
> X-Windows using the Graphical Interface that comes with YaST.

> The problem is with the gfx card.  If I select Mach64, I get the following
> error message, "The Server required by your Card is not installed, Please
> abort etc......"

> I get a very similar error if I select SVGA (ie. not installed)

> Problem is, I don't know how to install the appropriate server.

I have exactly the same card (ATI 3D xpression+), and can assure you
that under Xfree86, the Mach64 server is the correct one.  Someone else
can instruct you on how to ensure that the appropriate servers are
installed (I use redhat, so the RPM routine is fairly easy).

Sorry I can't go much further than that.

I.

Toronto, Canada        http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/
RH Linux 5.1 kernel 2.0.35 - No spam or HTML mail please

ATI 3D Xepression+

Post by G. Pollac » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed Linux for the first time.  I'm now trying to configure
> X-Windows using the Graphical Interface that comes with YaST.

> The problem is with the gfx card.  If I select Mach64, I get the following
> error message, "The Server required by your Card is not installed, Please
> abort etc......"

> I get a very similar error if I select SVGA (ie. not installed)

> Problem is, I don't know how to install the appropriate server.

> Help Appreciated

> ==============

> If replying by email please remove the "*"'s from the reply address

> Rich W

> ===============

Installing the server is simply a matter of downloading the correct one
(you can get it at ftp.xfree86.org; you need the Mach64 server - make
sure you get the latest version, 3.3.2, I think) and putting it where
xwindows expects to find it. On my RedHat 5.0 system, xwindows looks for
a file called X in /usr/X11R6/bin. This file is a symbolic link to the
server, which can thus be anywhere so long as the link points to it. For
simplicity, I keep the server in /usr/X11R6/bin as well.
--
Gerald Pollack
Dept. of Biology, McGill University

1. Need help with ATI Xepression Mach64 and X

Hi,

I need some help setting up X to use my ATI Expression (2Mb)
and NEC 6FGp monitor with:
     1 - 1280x1024 resolution at Max Dot Clock of 135MHz (not 80Mhz)
     2 - 16 and 24 bit color depth

I know for sure that my hardware (card and monitor) support (1)
because I use OS/2 at 1280x1024 and I can run the ATI test program on
the ATI card's install disk in DOS at that resolution and 135Mhz frequency.
But when I start X it tells me that my hardware can only support
up to 80Mhz Dot Clock. :(

I noticed running 'X -probeonly' that my RAMDAC type is listed as unknown by
the server:
  (--)Mach64: RamDac is unknown

I then read the Mach64 README file and found  that only certain ATI
RAMDACs will support up to 135MHz Max Dot Clock (I know mine does) I guess
that because the server cannot figure my cards RAMDAC type (unknown) it
defaults to 80MHz Max Dot Clock to be safe.

One interresting thing is that 'Superprobe' reports:
     Chipset: ATI 88800
     RAMDAC: AT&T 20C498/21C498 15/16/24-bit DAC w/pixel-max

In OS/2 I can also us 16 and 24 bpp at lower resolutions
than 1280x1024.
If I try starting X with in these modes (with: startx -- -bpp N
where N =16,32) I just get:

mach64Probe: invalid bpp: 16
*** none of the configured device was detected ***

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Can anyone help me?

Danny

Danny Vezeau

2. IPCHAINS - allow a trusted host???

3. ATI 3D Xpression or S3 VIRGE 3D

4. telnet port

5. HELP: XFree86 3.3.1 & ATI 3D Pro Turbo (3D Rage II+DVD)

6. anyone compiled xvgopher?

7. ATI 3D Expression (3d Rage) X problems

8. Setting up a "generic" print queue: How to?

9. X WINDOWS: ATI RAGE 3D / STB virge VX 3D Gfx Accel Drivers/support 4 LINUX ?

10. Choice: STB 8MB NVidia 3D AGP or ATI XPert 8MB 2X AGP 3D Video?

11. ATI 3D PRO TURBO PC2TV & 3D XPRESSION+ PC2TV

12. ATI 3D Xpression (3D Rage II)

13. ati agp xpert98 8MB the same type as ati agp xpert@play 8MB 3D rage pro?