Newbie Screensaver question

Post by Clayto » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 06:53:00

I'm getting the following error when it's time for my screensaver to kick
in.  Any ideas?

Clayton

Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0
xcreensaver: child pid 1838 (loop) exited abnormally (code 1).

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:04:14

> I'm getting the following error when it's time for my screensaver to
> kick
> in.  Any ideas?

> Clayton

> Xlib: No protocol specified

> Error: Can't open display: :0.0
> xcreensaver: child pid 1838 (loop) exited abnormally (code 1).

Your logged in user and the user who owns the screensaver are not the
same.  Quit logging in as root.

Newbie Screensaver question

Post by Clayto » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:04:22

Thanks for the reply.  I'll double check but I don't think I am logged in as
root.  Can it work in reverse, the screensaver owned by root, and not
working for my user login?  If so, where would I change the ownership?

Clayton

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:54:59

> Thanks for the reply.  I'll double check but I don't think I am logged in
> as
> root.  Can it work in reverse, the screensaver owned by root, and not
> working for my user login?  If so, where would I change the ownership?

You don't need to change the ownership, you need to change the access mode.
Make the file executable by all.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 06:01:28

>> Thanks for the reply.  I'll double check but I don't think I am
>> logged in as
>> root.  Can it work in reverse, the screensaver owned by root, and not
>> working for my user login?  If so, where would I change the
>> ownership?

> You don't need to change the ownership, you need to change the access
> mode. Make the file executable by all.

The problem is which user started the screensaver.  If he logs in as
root, xscreensaver will start with the process owned by 'nobody'.  It
is the process owner, not the file owner which is the problem here.

Newbie Screensaver question

Post by Clayto » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:50:58

Thanks for the reply.  How do I change the process owner?

Clayton

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:18:57

> Thanks for the reply.  How do I change the process owner?

Quit logging in as root.  Create a user account and log in as that user.

1. Easy Newbie screensaver question

Hey,

I've got Mandrake 7.2 with KDE, and I need some help getting a screensaver
to work.  I copied kmatrix.kss from a Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 box through NFS
into /usr/bin where all the other *.kss files are.  But when I go to change
the screensaver to that new one, it doesn't see it.  I assume they are going
to be the same filetype because both systems run KDE.  Is there a conf file
I need to edit?  I've rebooted the system and it only sees the default kss
files.  Do I need to install that matrix screensaver?  Help.

Thanks
Tyler

2. Joke:

3. Newbie qn: screensaver after logout?

4. How to notify others of IP change.

5. Screensaver Question

6. Unable to handle...virtual address

7. Squid & ScreenSaver Questions

8. Compiling Perl 4.019 on PS/2 AIX 1.2.1

9. screensaver question

10. ** xlock/screensaver question **

11. Screensaver question

12. Monitor/screensaver question