The dreaded partition word

Post by Kirk R. Yal » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello, Linux-Or-Bust,
Well here it goes.  I am a college student, and well most of my time is
spent on my homework, but I have this exstreme yearning to dump windoze.
The only problem is, I am a windows child, brought up right infront of the
greenscreen apple to the blue and white dreaded win 3.1 and to the it is
now safe to turn off your computer.  Until I gain proficiency in using
Linux, I am stuck with windoze.  I can deal with that but I would like to
work on learning Linux in my free time.  I have a wimpy 1.6 hard drive and
a whopping 10.2 hard drive many programs that run under windoze, is
istalled in the 10.2 or D: drive.  My question is, Is there a way to
partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?
thanx,
current dist. Redhat 6.0
Linux-Or Bust

The dreaded partition word

Post by Thomas Zaj » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> [ ... ]
> My question is, Is there a way to
> partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
> same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?

AFAIK Red Heat doesn't support UMSDOS installation, you might want to
have a look at Slackware instead:

   ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-7.0/

Or, even easier:

   ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-7.0/zipslack/

Read ZipSlack's README and the UMSDOS-HOWTO, that should get you
started (it got me started back in '97, anyway ;-).

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -

The dreaded partition word

Post by Anita Lew » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You could easily put Linux on a 1.6 hard drive and can access the other
drive from Linux.  I have a 2 gig drive with both Windows and Linux on
it.  I store data that I access from both on the Windows partition.  I
began with a single partitin that had Windows, usde FIPS to create a
partition out of empty space (after defrag), and then partitioned and
formatted that empty space using the RH Install program.  I love it.

I have also heard that there is a more complete Slack that installs on
dos.  I think it comes on the Slack 7.0 cd.  It's more like 800 meg.
Zipslack is 100 meg I think.  You have plenty of room for that.

Have fun

Anita

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 07:30:24 GMT, Kirk R. Yale

>Hello, Linux-Or-Bust,
>Well here it goes.  I am a college student, and well most of my time is
>spent on my homework, but I have this exstreme yearning to dump windoze.
>The only problem is, I am a windows child, brought up right infront of the
>greenscreen apple to the blue and white dreaded win 3.1 and to the it is
>now safe to turn off your computer.  Until I gain proficiency in using
>Linux, I am stuck with windoze.  I can deal with that but I would like to
>work on learning Linux in my free time.  I have a wimpy 1.6 hard drive and
>a whopping 10.2 hard drive many programs that run under windoze, is
>istalled in the 10.2 or D: drive.  My question is, Is there a way to
>partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
>same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?
>thanx,
>current dist. Redhat 6.0
>Linux-Or Bust

>--

The dreaded partition word

Post by Thomas Zaj » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> [ ... ]
> My question is, Is there a way to
> partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
> same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?

AFAIK Red Hat doesn't support UMSDOS installation, you might want to

Post by Michel Catuda » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hello, Linux-Or-Bust,
> Well here it goes.  I am a college student, and well most of my time is
> spent on my homework, but I have this exstreme yearning to dump windoze.
> The only problem is, I am a windows child, brought up right infront of the
> greenscreen apple to the blue and white dreaded win 3.1 and to the it is
> now safe to turn off your computer.  Until I gain proficiency in using
> Linux, I am stuck with windoze.  I can deal with that but I would like to
> work on learning Linux in my free time.  I have a wimpy 1.6 hard drive and
> a whopping 10.2 hard drive many programs that run under windoze, is
> istalled in the 10.2 or D: drive.  My question is, Is there a way to
> partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
> same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?
> thanx,
> current dist. Redhat 6.0
> Linux-Or Bust

This calls for partition magic which isn't very expensive. Staples or CompUSA sell
it for around $65. You might even get a rebate sometime.

I did the job on my PC. This was a rather interesting experience I can tell. First I
had a 1.2G drive as the first drive, a 2G drive as the second drive and an 8.4G
as the third drive. My 14G had been setup as a 8.4G by the store owner (???) meaning
that the partition table was screwed up. I had made a boot disk for my Linux which
provided me for an easy way to create a new partition table. With partition magic
I then repartitioned my 8.4G drive which moved on the first drive. I made sure OS/2
would be seen as drive E: so I didn't need to reinstall OS/2 at that point. I split
the 14G to provide for Winblows 98 (3G) and the rest for Linux. I installed Linux on
the 14G drive and installed NT on the first drive after I repartitionned it. NT
blew my high partition on the 8.4G drive, the one that was sitting on the 1024 cylinder
boundary. I also found out that the extended partition was marked as extended win 95.
If you were to use fips, it may*up on this one if you don't have an updated version.
I found partition to be very secure. One thing to keep in mind is that if you need to have
DRDOS or PCDOS see a logical partition, that partition must be 2G or smaller and the
extended win 95 must be toggled under Linux to be just extended. Winblows 98 doesn't seem
to give a rat's ass either way but dos can't see anything on such an extended partition.

The story ain't finished yet,  read on ...

After being fed up of the multiple crashes on Win 98 (I got one of the first versions of win 98)
I decided to install the second edition. Since NT had previously blown one partition the decision
was made to take that shit off my PC. I went to partition magic and removed the partition and
made another primary partition for winblows 98. I have also DRDOS on the first drive. This when
I found out that the blown partition at the end of the drive was not really blown in that that
the partition table had been modified by NT. When I had booted back on Linux at the time
Linux could still see the partition as if nothing happened so I just remvoved the partition
which was empty and recreated it with partition magic. During the new win 98 install I was
prompted to choose to correct the partition table or cancel the installation. I figured that
it was my original partition table that winblows was bringing back so I said OK, forgetting
that the backup that I intended to do wasn't done. OOPPSS! 4G of data on the way to the bit
bucket. As expected, when I booted on the other Win 98 which is on the second drive I had
an empty directory with a dir. I felt like a moron but then I remembered the first episode
and rebooted on Linux. Everything was still there. Goodie, I backed it all up on my Linux
drive and shutdown and removed the said drive from the machine and went on with the winblows 98
install after I recreated the partition again.

I found both partition magic and Linux to be extremely usefull. Keep that in mind, even if
for some weird reason you felt that Winblows was the only system you would want to live with,
Linux could still save your ass more than one time.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

The dreaded partition word

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hello, Linux-Or-Bust,
>Well here it goes.  I am a college student, and well most of my time is
>spent on my homework, but I have this exstreme yearning to dump windoze.
>The only problem is, I am a windows child, brought up right infront of the
>greenscreen apple to the blue and white dreaded win 3.1 and to the it is
>now safe to turn off your computer.  Until I gain proficiency in using
>Linux, I am stuck with windoze.  I can deal with that but I would like to
>work on learning Linux in my free time.  I have a wimpy 1.6 hard drive and
>a whopping 10.2 hard drive many programs that run under windoze, is
>istalled in the 10.2 or D: drive.  My question is, Is there a way to
>partition a drive so I won't corrupt the windoze based progs. but at the
>same time run Linux without conflict?  If so How?
>thanx,
>current dist. Redhat 6.0

Most Linux distributions, including Red Hat 6.0, come with a remarkable
little utility called "fips" which re-sizes a Fat-16 or Fat-32
partition to make room for new partitions.
It is the solution to the problem "oops, I forgot to leave room on this
drive for Linux partitions.

In your case, I would decide how much room I could spare on the 10 GB
drive, and free up that much room with fips.  Then create three
Linux partitions on that drive: 150 MB for "root" (mounts as "/"),
120 MB for "swap" (doesn't mount), and the rest for "user" (mounts as "/usr").
Install Red Hat as documented.  During the installation, get a shell on
a second console (Alt-F2) and watch the disk space with the df command.
Almost everything will install in /usr/.  However, Red Hat will want to
place logs that grow, and user accounts, under the directories /var
and /home/.  After the install is complete, go to single user mode
(kills the daemons that are writing logs) and move /var/ and /home/
to /usr as follows:

cd /
cp -a var /usr
cp -a home /usr
rm -rf var home
ln -s /usr/var .
ln -s /usr/home/ .

From then on there will be little activity in the root partition, so
you will be quite safe in the event of sudden power failures such as
are caused by careless roommates.

Don't let Red Hat make your hard drive bootable.  This is a complex
installation (Linux on one drive and boot on another) and
Red Hat's user friendly automation WILL NOT DO IT CORRECTLY.
Instead, have it make a boot floppy, and use that until you have read
the LILO mini-HOWTO and understand what Lilo does.
Create a "boot floppy as fast as a hard drive" according to the
instructions in the HOWTO.  Once *that* works, you are ready to
create a custom Lilo installation.

Performance tip:  create a second swap area on the first drive.
Linux is not using it for anything else and this will improve your
swap performance.  Suppose the first partition of the first drive
is mounted as /msdos/.  Do this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/msdos/lswap bs=1024k count=120
mkswap -c /msdos/lswap 122879
echo /msdos/lswap none swap sw 0 0 >> /etc/fstab

and the new swap will be used at next boot time.  Alternately, if
you trust fips by now, you could shrink your C: partition by 120 MB
and create a swap partition on the first drive.  Swap partitions
perform better than swap files in a Fat-32 file system.

Cameron

Cameron

1. Dreaded MS Word documents...how to deal with them?

I'm getting a laptop, and would like to use Linux on it.  Since I have
a client who uses Word for Windows 95, I need to be able to share
documents with them.  I'd hate to dual boot or primarily use Windows
95.  (I've used different versions of Unix over the past few years,
and would rather use it than Win95, though I'll use OS/2 if all else
fails.)

Here's the question...

    Q. Can MS Word documents be edited and printed from _ANY_ Linux
       configuration reliably, and shared with users of the Windows
       95 version of Word?

==> Using RTF is not an option.  I need tables and indexing.

==> Recommendations or cautions about Linux versions of Wordperfect,
    Applix, StarOffice, ... are appreciated.

    * The comments I've read so far say that Applix works well when
      passing back and forth RTF files *ONLY*, and that WordPerfect
      for Linux is great -- if you're sharing WordPerfect files with
      other WordPerfect users.  StarOffice looks like Word, but can't
      be relied on to read/write native Word documents consistantly.

==> I don't care what application or configuration I use, including
    Windows emulation via. DOSEmu, converters, ... as long as the
    client can't tell I didn't make the document in Word for Win95.

(( Yes, I've taken a look through DejaNews, the FAQs, and other
resources for the answer to this question.  The replies were
inconsistant, so I can't rely on them -- or haven't found the right
FAQ, so feel free to recommend a site.

If someone can provide a definitive answer other than "it works for
me" or a needless flame, I'd appreciate it. ))

2. Redhat 6.0 mail problem

3. find a word in Linux ext2 partition.

4. File:Glob

5. Definition of "word" in zsh (e.g., "backward-kill-word")

6. Boot problem after memory upgade

7. Which Linux word processor should I try that I can compare to MS Word

8. tar SGI to remote 8mm

9. viewer word 7 and word 8

10. how to remove redunt word from space seperated word string

11. 43935560///old pass word will not work what is my pass word?????

12. German words file (like /usr/dict/words)

13. TeX as a word processor (was Linux word processor?)