SB 16 VE PnP & Linux

Post by Martijn Biewen » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I read about problems with Plug & Play devices and Linux. I've had some problems with it myself (I have a SoundBlaster 16 VE Plug & Play), and tried using isapnptools, but that didn't work. Now here comes the funny bit: I reinstalled Linux (new (2.5GB Caviar :-) ), recompiled the kernel (2.0.27) with soundcard-support, and correct settings for the soundcard, and upon boottime it just initialised the card like it wasn't a PnP at all! (Yes, I'm 100% sure it's PnP). So if anyone has the same configuration as me (SB 16 VE PnP on Triton VX motherboard), just try recompiling your kernel (new version) with sound support and all that. It's quite well possible you won't need isapnptools after all.

PS: if you know anything about mounting ext2fs under Win95 (see previous article), let me know.

Martijn Biewenga

SB 16 VE PnP & Linux

Post by Hannu Savolain » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,
>I read about problems with Plug & Play devices and Linux. I've had some problems with it myself (I have a SoundBlaster 16 VE Plug & Play), and tried using isapnptools, but that didn't work. Now here comes the funny bit: I reinstalled Linux (new (2.5GB Caviar :-) ), recompiled the kernel (2.0.27) with soundcard-support, and correct settings for the soundcard, and upon boottime it just initialised the card like it wasn't a PnP at all! (Yes, I'm 100% sure it's PnP). So if anyone has the same configuration as
>me (SB 16 VE PnP on Triton VX motherboard), just try recompiling your kernel (new version) with sound support and all that. It's quite well possible you won't need isapnptools after all.

It's well possible that PnP cards work without isapnptools if you warmboot
Linux after DOS/Win or if there is PnP BIOS on your system. The problem
is how to find out the I/O, IRQ and DMA settings that are active. You probably
had lot of good luck to get it working accidently.

Best regards,

Hannu
--

http://www.4Front-Tech.com/oss.html (Open Sound System (OSS))